Antiguan - Beach question

em_in_murphy

Antiguan, I've read that the beaches are calm in Antigua; however, I've also read that it can be rough. I was planning on going to Turner's beach but someone who just returned said there was a drop off and the water was rough and it pulled his son out. Our group have very young children and we need a beach that IS calm and does not have a drop off, need a gentle slope. Which beach should I go to? I've also considered Long Bay. Help.

We went to Long Bay and it was nice.... clean white sand, nice calm turquoise water.... and didnt seem to "drop off" badly. Snorkeled on the reefs but they were not in real good condition..... not sure if damage from "tourist touch" or storms. Too bad as really pretty area. Has chairs/umbrellas for rent, a few burger shacks (great fries !) and even a few vendors with tshirts and souveniers.

We went to Long Bay and it was nice.... clean white sand, nice calm turquoise water.... and didnt seem to "drop off" badly. Snorkeled on the reefs but they were not in real good condition..... not sure if damage from "tourist touch" or storms. Too bad as really pretty area. Has chairs/umbrellas for rent, a few burger shacks (great fries !) and even a few vendors with tshirts and souveniers.

A few questions if you get a chance;

how far from the ship? average taxi fare? THANKS

Sorry - can't help you with taxi fare....we rented a car for the day and drove to Long Bay for 2-3 hrs beach time and then made a big circle of the island exploring.... was probably my favorite island. But there were taxis coming and going the whole time we were there. I am sure if you get a taxi at the pier you can tell them what time to pick you up for the return trip.

If you go to http://www.antigua-barbuda.org and click on "map page" it will give you a small one and you can click on larger map to enlarge.

Once we left the church on the hill in town - it took us maybe 25 minutes to get over to the east side of the island and Long Bay. We weren't rushing - more moseying and exploring....

Archived