Ah, the Sweet Smell of Venice ...

Sweeterpea

I know that Venice can smell quite strongly in summer. Someone told me yesterday that Venice will be quite smelly the time we will be there, early May. Can anyone else confirm this? I am pretty sensitive to strong odors.
I'm not a scientist, so you'll likely get a better answer from other board members, but I think the smell that you're referring to occurs when the water levels are low. The tides will vary during the days that you are there, but I believe the water levels are the highest near the full moon. And there's probably a web site that you can check to see if the moon is full during your visit. And of course rain levels will affect the water level. But most of all I wanted to let you know that I've been very fortunate to spend 42 days there during times of various water levels--we were even there when it flooded once and had to walk the planks around town--and have not smelled the stench. We will be there in late May of '07, so I'll keep my fingers crossed for both of us.

Have a great trip,

Donna

I know that Venice can smell quite strongly in summer. Someone told me yesterday that Venice will be quite smelly the time we will be there, early May. Can anyone else confirm this? I am pretty sensitive to strong odors.

I spent about 4 nights in Venice during May and smelled nothing unpleasant.

Sweeterpea,

Though I have been to Venice twelve times and will be there again in a few weeks, I have NEVER smelled anything unpleasant. However, I've never been in Venice in May.

If you are worried, however, send me your ticket, and I will go there and check it out. And this I will do at no extra charge to you.

Mij, that's sooo nice of you! Thanks! I will send you my .... wait a minute!!! you were trying to trick me! :eek:

Also, some very nice people are expecting us at our B and B in the Cannaregio district now, so I couldn't possibly disappoint them. Sorry!

I was there this July and zero smell. Had been told that it would be awful but not at all. Enjoy your trip.

Jean

Archived