Crown Bay Help Please.....

comfortcove

Docking at CB in a few weeks on Princess. We have never been there. Does anyone know how long a cab ride it is to Sapphire Beach, and the fare for two? Same questions for Red Hook?? Lastly, is there any shopping at crown Bay at the present time, somewhere for sundries and liquor? Thank you!

It'll probably take about 30 - 40 minutes depending on how long you have to wait for the taxi to fill up and traffic.

There are no shops open yet in Crown Bay, but there is a Pueblo grocery store within walking distance that has liquor and sundries. You'll see it from the cab on your way to Sapphire (or anywhere). They have to pass right by it on the left.

are you telling me that the cabs wont take you to the red hook for a ferry to st Johns??

if so what will the cost be from Crown Bay.

I am trying to figure this out too, time and money:confused: . One post indicated $4. pp for a 20 minute trip while others have indicated $13.00, I m so confused. Islanders

I am posting a link to the official taxi rates in the Virgin Islands

http://www.*****/stthomas/getting_around_stt/taxi_stt/

Notice Crown Bay isn't one of the starting points - just Charlotte Amalie and the airport. That usually means that the driver has some flexibility in the rate. However, Crown Bay is very close to the airport, so wherever you go from Crown Bay should cost you no more than the rate from the airport. Which means that it should cost you approximately $11 pp one way to Red Hook from Crown Bay - $1 more than from Havensight.

I would think that eventually the rate sheet will be updated to include Crown Bay once the facility is fully functional, so stay tuned.

I would also suggest that you print out the rate sheet and carry it with you so as to alert the driver to the fact that you are aware of what the maximum fare should be.

For those asking about $1/$2 safari/bus, there isn't a MARKED SPOT anywhere near Crown Bay, and it's confusing to tell you how to get to a spot where they MAY pick you up. The closest stop goes in the OPPOSITE direction of Red Hook and the East End, heading to the University of the Virgin Islands where the route terminates before heading back to town and Red Hook. You'll waste a lot of time if you make this mistake or choose this option. You'll also probably be charged for the trip to the end of the route, plus another fare for going in the opposite direction.

Hello, we would also like to go to St.John on the day we arrive on the Princess at Crown Bay dock. Do you know if taxi's are at this dock? Or does anyone know of maybe a boat taking you directly over to St John's?

I am confused with this new dock.

Thanks so much

The taxi rates seem pretty steep ($80:cool: ) for a family of 4 to get back and forth from Crown Bay to Coki.

Any advice on the closest car rental to Crown Bay - do they pick you up from CB or do you have to take a cab to the airport or the other cruise pier to rent a car??

FYI - According to Princess Cruise, the Oct 29th voyage of the Caribbean Princess will dock at WICO (Havensight) not Crown Bay as indicated on St Thomas web site. I called to find out why we were docking at CB when there will only be 2 ships in port that day. Now I'm happy so I can scoot right up to Red Hook Ferry without the added taxi expense and beating my way thru town. Then of course you have the added advantage of all the shops next to the cruise ship at the end of the day!

Everytime you call Princess, you get a different answer. I am on the sailing of the 29th and by all indications we ARE docking in Crown point.

Here are the taxe rates from Crown Point to:

uptown.....$4.00

Havensight....$5.00

Red hook...$11.00

Magens Bay.......$9.00

Sapphire Bch........$11.00

Coki Bch......$11.00

All these are per person and I assume one way. I got these rates from someone who took a picture of the sign posted at Crown Point.

I just really do not think someone who works in reservations at Princess Cruise LInes does not have a clue as to where they dock.

Linda

:)

I have to agree with Linda with this--- but its any cruiselines. you can call them and ask the same question many times and get a different answer each time.

Cev-- you want to be prepared for either port in any case. You dont want to be disappointed.

I'll be prepared, but I'm just hoping it's Havensight. That's what Princess told me this morning. I asked them if they could confirm this information because of the conflict I have been reading and she put me hold for 2 or 3 minutes, came back and said Havensight.

For the life of me, the vendors and the taxis, why in the world would Princess dock at CB on a day when only two ships are in port???? Unless I'm missing something, it just doesn't make sense. I could understand if there were 6 or 7 cruise ships in port that day. Last year, same week, same ship we docked in Havensight.

Anyway, I'll be prepared. Depending on what time I get off the ship, I most likely will take the Charlotte Amalie Ferry to St John if the ship does end up docking at CB. Otherwise it will be a taxi to Red Hook.

Chuck

Your right on one thing, no one knows what they are talking about at Princess. I called again just a short time ago and was now told Crown Bay. Different answer each time! I'll call again in a few days LOL. In any case, it still doesn't make sense that day contract or not!

Chuck

Lindanick, When do you sail to St. Thomas? We are on the 12/20 sailing and I have bveen told we will dock at Crown Bay......we'll see. I am assuming so so that I can plan our excursion. If you go before that sailing will you report back for those of us going later on taxi rates? Maybe take a picture of the sign. Would be so appreciative.

Thanks!!

IslandersX4,

On post 16 I posted the rates that someone had taken of the sign at Crown Point.

However I will be there on the Caribbean Princess 11-2-06. Our ship leaves Ft. Lauderdale on 10-29. This time the ship will go to St. Maarten first then on to St. Thomas.

I'll let everyone know. I have a shore excursion planned with Princess for a champagne cataraman cruise to St. John. I'll find out from others how things went with the cab rides.

Linda

IslandersX4,

On post 16 I posted the rates that someone had taken of the sign at Crown Point.

However I will be there on the Caribbean Princess 11-2-06. Our ship leaves Ft. Lauderdale on 10-29. This time the ship will go to St. Maarten first then on to St. Thomas.

I'll let everyone know. I have a shore excursion planned with Princess for a champagne cataraman cruise to St. John. I'll find out from others how things went with the cab rides.

Linda

Thanks Linda, I look forward to hearing all about it and the time it takes you to disembark...Have a great cruise. Cathy

Princess cruises signed a contract with The government of St. Thomas to dock their ships there.

Linda

Linda is correct, Princess has signed a contract for this port. :( If I recall currently 3 of their ships will be going there and they are as follows: (Caribbean Princess, Crown Princess and I believe the Sun Princess). We are all having to deal with this in our own manner. I have already gone through the wasted time of contacting Princess on this new docking arrangement and frankly it doesn't matter because that is where we are docking. On the other hand, although I like Princess the next time I plan an Eastern Carib cruise I will do my research and go on a ship that docs at Heavensight unless there is just something really special about Crown Bay which isn't likely at this point.

Hi Linda :)

Hi Vince:)

How do those taxi rates compare with Havensight area. I really don't think its the price issue, its all in the timing.

Look at the bridge cam this morning. Its docked at the new crown point. It looks nice.

Linda

Archived