Vegetarian Menu

mailbroad

I am almost certain that I saw a vegetarian menu from Holland America posted somewhere. Am I imagining it? I have tried searching here and on Google but nothing shows up.:confused:

Hi Mailbroad:

I did a little quick research. There is a "Cruise Foodies" forum here at Cruise Critic. (Yes, they have a forum for just about everyone and everything here at CC!:)) One of the threads is entitled "Vegetarian Experience". A poster named "Brown Eyed Gurl" gave a run-down of the HAL vegetarian options and menus. Here is the thread. "Brown Eyed Gurl's" post is number 33.

Good luck! There are plenty of vegetarian/vegan options on HAL. :)

Karin

We were on the Oosterdam in April. I don't remember a particular vegatarian menu, but I believe that each daily menu in the dining room had one vegan entree. Usually, at least one of the appetizers could probably pass. I'm not a vegan, so I don't really pay that much attention.

In the Lido restaurant, there is probably a little more flexibility. There is a salad bar, a pasta bar and, with a little care, I think you could put together a pretty nice vegan meal. There's always fresh fruit available.

I know that's not quite what you're looking for, but I hope it helps. I don't think even a very strict vegan, who doesn't eat dairy products, would starve.

Paul Noble

Yes, there is a separate vegetarian menu.

However, it stays the same each night. Our waiter would give it to us at dinner so we could order for the next evening.

[You have to order in advance.]

There is a wonderful cheese soup on it!

However, as someone else said, there is always a vegetarian dish on the main menu each night.

Oceanwench is correct. Along with the vegetarian offering on the main menu each night there is a separate vegetarian menu that you can ask for. I would ask for the main menu for the following night and the vegetarian menu and then decide if I wanted to pre-order from the vegetarian menu. It is the same menu each night but offers several appetizers, soups and entrees that you can choose from. They offer some of best vegetarian meals that I've ever had. Some of my non-vegetarian dining companions were even ordering from it and enjoying the selections.

The Lido also offers many veg options and the grill near the Lido pool offers veggie burgers

The vegetarian entrees (one per night) are vegetarian, not necessarily vegan. The same is true of the special vegetarian menu.

The regular menu also has vegetarian soup &/or appetizer plus of course there is salad and dessert.

At the lunch buffet, there usually isn't much for vegetarians in the regular line. We skip that and go to the salads, pasta, pizza, deli sandwiches (veggie), or outside grill (veggie burgers). And of course the dessert or ice cream.

Oceanwench,

How long ago did you travel and have the veg menu available to you? I recently called ship services in regards to my November cruise and they told me that the only thing available specially for vegetarians was an Indian Vegetarian menu that had to be pre-ordered before the cruise through my TA (aka probably pre-packaged, like the Kosher meals).

Did you simply ask your waiter for the alternate menu or did you have to speak to someone higher up for it? On my first HAL crusie 2 years ago I mentioned my vegetarianism to my waiter the first night but he never provided me with anything other than the regular menu, as I was unaware of a seperate menu to even bother asking for it. I did love the meals I had in the DR from the regular menu, but more options would be wonderful.

I just cruised August/September and had the vegetarian menu. I arranged for it before the cruise with my TA. After dinner the 1st night (I ordered the veggie selection on the menu the 1st night) the assistant maitre d' brought both the vegetarian menu and the regular menu for the next night so I could choose what I wanted. Items from the vegetarian menu had to be ordered the night before. My table mates were always happy to see what was being served the next night too!

I thought the vegetarian menu was standard on all ships, but some of the things Brown Eyed Gurl described do not sound familiar. I had a vegetable strudel and tofu steaks (fixed with an oriental sauce of some sort If I remember right) from the vegetarian menu. Otherwise I ordered from the regular menu because the offerings there always looked so good. They included spinach and squash lasagna, south western style manicotti, wild mushroom strudel, farfalle with smoky-grilled portobello mushrooms, eggplant cannelloni parmigiano, mushroom ravioli, vegetarian jambalaya, curried vegetable cutlet, and leek and broccoli flan. Enjoy!

I am almost certain that I saw a vegetarian menu from Holland America posted somewhere. Am I imagining it? I have tried searching here and on Google but nothing shows up.:confused:

I am pleased that your have started this discussion. My DW is vegetarian and I have been researching this issue for her as well. For me, I am a meat eater and when I cruise it is catch up time. Fellow passengers seem to get a kick out of this. Celebrity was probably the best vegetarian menu so far. We are anxious to see what HAL will be offering.

Griswalds

Oceanwench,

How long ago did you travel and have the veg menu available to you? I recently called ship services in regards to my November cruise and they told me that the only thing available specially for vegetarians was an Indian Vegetarian menu that had to be pre-ordered before the cruise through my TA (aka probably pre-packaged, like the Kosher meals).

Did you simply ask your waiter for the alternate menu or did you have to speak to someone higher up for it? On my first HAL crusie 2 years ago I mentioned my vegetarianism to my waiter the first night but he never provided me with anything other than the regular menu, as I was unaware of a seperate menu to even bother asking for it. I did love the meals I had in the DR from the regular menu, but more options would be wonderful.

Possibly ship services misunderstood you and thought you were asking about vegan. Both the regular menu veg entree & the special menu were availabe to us on the Maasdam in May. We've been cruising HAL at least yearly since 2002 and have always had the vegetarian menu since the second cruise (weren't told about it on the first).

Usually if your booking has included the vegetarian (or other dietary) information, there will be a note in your cabin telling you to speak to the maitre 'd. (Think it is in the table assignment envelope). We usually find that we just need to let the waiter know. Sometimes the head steward in your area has already been clued in.

Archived