Princess Cays Cabana question??

P.A.

I honestly think they are becoming less popular then they used to be, so you might be able to rent one while onboard. They let in almost no air and on a hot day, you are much better off under the shade of a tree or cover that is on the beach.

I agree with your statement 100%

They were very hot and we would have been better off under a coconut tree.

IMO a waste of 20 bucks.

This cabana issue is new to me since I've never been to Princess Cays - but it is a port on my cruise next April. Does anyone happen have a picture of these cabanas? I have been to NCL's private island a few years back and it was a zoo. The idea of having a place to call our own where the family can dump their stuff and meet back later sounds good to me.

The word cabana is a bit misleading. We got one last November while in Princess Cays on the Caribbean Princess, which we had reserved ahead of time. They are really just tents that rest on the ground in the back and fit two lounge chairs in them for shade. Yes, everyone is correct – they can get VERY hot inside. However, we figured out that if you bring a third chair over and lift the back of the cabana then rest is on that third chair a wonderful breeze will keep you cool while blowing through and still shading the two chairs. They were sold out by the time we got to Princess Cays so if you think you might like one then I would reserve it ahead of time. And if you want one near the water then you do need to get over to Princess Cays as early as possible. They will have enough for everyone who reserved one but location wise they are first come, first serve.

Like everyone else said they aren't really cabanas at all. When I was on the CB in August, there were some still available to book at the beginning of the cruise but they sold out quickly. They do get hot but it is nice to have your own spot for some shade right on the beach.

I had booked one online before the cruise but when I got to Princess Cays all of the cabanas were taken. Not sure if this is common, but on the day we were there they had unlocked all of them in the morning so people who hadn't booked just took them and by ~11am there were none left. I was one of about 10 people at the Shore Excursions desk complaining that evening (we did get our money back though).

We were there two weeks ago and the cabanas were not popular (we had a full ship, the CB). When I walked around at noon, there were still some to be had (because they were still on their sides and not even set up, especially to the left as you get off the tenders). The bad thing about cabanas...yes, everything mentioned above...plus there is so much shade to be had...even if you get off the ship late...plenty of lounge chairs and you can move them around...the other bad thing about the cabanas..we were in a spot to the right as you get off the tenders...got there first and had a great view of the water, but our loungers were towards the back...next thing I know, an Italian tour group comes and takes all the cabanas that were in front of us and once they were set up, our water view was gone and we had to navigate the maze of cabanas between us and the water...it didn't matter too much to us though because we spent all of our time in the water...but like the other poster said, if you need to watch kids or want to have a view or be close to the water, there is no natural shade right by the water (we did see some folks put their loungers IN the water and lie there) or you get a cabana.

Archived