Land tour choices

bbjaspan

Vozzie,

Some questions --

Did you first price out places to stay, sightseeing options, etc. and tell them specifics? Are you renting a car and, if so, do you or they arrange it? It certainly takes some work on their part to put the package together. If they do so, and then tell you the price, are you obligated to take it? Their services are valuable and worth a premium, but that depends on how much more it would cost through them than "on your own."

Barbara

Yes, I did do a rough pricing of everything, however, we are letting them recommend the accommodation ... along the lines of either Luxury, Moderate or Budget. We will be mainly using buses and trains in our package, but they can just as easy create a package using car hire.

Once they provide the quotation it's up to you whether you take it or not ... but it's important to understand, they don't add anything extra on to the cost. You pay the same whether you buy it yourself or get them (or another agency) to arrange it all. They make their money by getting a commission from the operators.

Say a night's accommodation was advertised as $200. If you buy it directly, you pay $200 and the hotel gets $200. If you buy it through an agent as part of a package, you pay $200 and the hotel gets, say, $180 and the agency gets $20

Yes, I did do a rough pricing of everything, however, we are letting them recommend the accommodation ... along the lines of either Luxury, Moderate or Budget. We will be mainly using buses and trains in our package, but they can just as easy create a package using car hire.

Once they provide the quotation it's up to you whether you take it or not ... but it's important to understand, they don't add anything extra on to the cost. You pay the same whether you buy it yourself or get them (or another agency) to arrange it all. They make their money by getting a commission from the operators.

Say a night's accommodation was advertised as $200. If you buy it directly, you pay $200 and the hotel gets $200. If you buy it through an agent as part of a package, you pay $200 and the hotel gets, say, $180 and the agency gets $20

Thanks for the info. We're still too early in the planning/estimating stage to start with them, but considering...

What time of day is best for flightseeing tour to Mt. McKinley?

If we book a tour that gets cancelled, do you think they will still have availability on the way back? I'm under the impression that anything you want to do you must book early, or it will be full.

If you were choosing between flightseeing tour to Mt. McKinley, or helicopter tour to/over glacier, which would you do?

Thanks for your info.

I have not taken either the flightseeing or a helicopter glacier tour. But with the light available so long in the summer, I am not sure if there is a best time for the flightseeing. As an avid photographer, I would think early evening is great due to the light. Morning would be good too but my guess is there might be a chance of fog (I don't know, just guessing). Mid day is probably OK too but the mountain is often visible mornings and evening but not during the day, and the light is harshest during the day.

If I were choosing a helicopter glacier tour or flightseeing over/around Mt. McKinley personally I would choose the Mt. McKinley but the helicopter tour has gotten rave reviews here and I am sure it is fantastic.

I have not taken either the flightseeing or a helicopter glacier tour. But with the light available so long in the summer, I am not sure if there is a best time for the flightseeing. As an avid photographer, I would think early evening is great due to the light. Morning would be good too but my guess is there might be a chance of fog (I don't know, just guessing). Mid day is probably OK too but the mountain is often visible mornings and evening but not during the day, and the light is harshest during the day.

If I were choosing a helicopter glacier tour or flightseeing over/around Mt. McKinley personally I would choose the Mt. McKinley but the helicopter tour has gotten rave reviews here and I am sure it is fantastic.

Thanks for your helpful insights.

Oh my, have I!! :) I reserved 1 night at the Westin Bayshore in Vancouver, 2 nights at the Holiday Inn Express in Seward, 3 separate nights at 3 different Anchorage hotels (beginning, middle, and end of land trip), and we're not staying in Talkeetna. I have 2 nights reserved in Valdez but will probably change that to the Copper River Princess Lodge - IF there's a 2-for 1 Toursaver coupon! Only the Denali Lakeview Inn (2 nights) has a cancellation fee.

We finalized our cruise today, dropping the land tour. We are on our own! I thank you for that.

We are also staying at the Denali Lakeview Inn (Whispering Willows room on the top level -- we didn't know whether to choose that or the mid-level?). In Seward we have reservations at Holiday Inn Express (pricey!) as well as the Harborview -- I think we'll stay at the Holiday Inn. In Anchorage I found a Breakfast Lovers deal at the Airport Courtyard by Marriott for $84 (!) that includes the hot buffet breakfast. But we'll still pick up our Avis car downtown because it costs so much less than picking up at the airport. Next task is to work on a hotel in Vancouver for 3 nights.

We've come a long way, baby!

We finalized our cruise today, dropping the land tour. We are on our own! I thank you for that.

We are also staying at the Denali Lakeview Inn (Whispering Willows room on the top level -- we didn't know whether to choose that or the mid-level?). In Seward we have reservations at Holiday Inn Express (pricey!) as well as the Harborview -- I think we'll stay at the Holiday Inn. In Anchorage I found a Breakfast Lovers deal at the Airport Courtyard by Marriott for $84 (!) that includes the hot buffet breakfast. But we'll still pick up our Avis car downtown because it costs so much less than picking up at the airport. Next task is to work on a hotel in Vancouver for 3 nights.

We've come a long way, baby!

Wow, Barbara - you've been busy! GREAT job!

Did you see what fti did for the Holiday Inn Express in Seward? He purchased 20,000 Priority Club points for $200 ($.01 per point), then used 10,000 points per night to book 2 reward nights. While $200 isn't exactly "free" - it's a great deal at $100/night.

Great rate at the Anchorage Courtyard! I'm using Marriott points there, because their AAA rate was close to $200/night - but I'll look into their breakfast lovers deal! (Thanks!) **Just checked Marriott's site...didn't see the breakfast lovers deal.

I booked the least expensive room type at the Denali Lakeview Inn...but never asked which floor it was on. It appears to have a deck rather than a patio in the photo on their web site, so guessing it isn't the bottom floor (Blue Moose room).

Wow, Barbara - you've been busy! GREAT job!

Did you see what fti did for the Holiday Inn Express in Seward? He purchased 20,000 Priority Club points for $200 ($.01 per point), then used 10,000 points per night to book 2 reward nights. While $200 isn't exactly "free" - it's a great deal at $100/night.

Great rate at the Anchorage Courtyard! I'm using Marriott points there, because their AAA rate was close to $200/night - but I'll look into their breakfast lovers deal! (Thanks!) **Just checked Marriott's site...didn't see the breakfast lovers deal.

I booked the least expensive room type at the Denali Lakeview Inn...but never asked which floor it was on. It appears to have a deck rather than a patio in the photo on their web site, so guessing it isn't the bottom floor (Blue Moose room).

fti did good! When I tried to book Holiday Inn Express online they were SOLD OUT! I called the hotel directly and was able to get a room for 1 night at $199 (more than I've ever spent on a hotel). I felt lucky to get it. Doubt if anyone could get a room now for points.

The Anchorage Courtyard Breakfast Lover's deal is a weekend special -- requires a Friday or Saturday night stayover, not available Monday thru Wednesday. When I first looked at Marriott rates I tried all of my discounts -- AAA, senior, etc -- and the lowest rate was $140, I think. Later, I was looking via aaa.com and this special came up and I grabbed it. Then I went back on Marriott.com and, only if I left out all my discounts, it showed the Breakfast Lover's deal.

The Blue Moose room is on the middle level -- ground level in front, up one level in the back. I thought that ground level was definitely out (wanted a deck, not a patio, and the view would be better off the ground). But I'm not sure I'm better on top level (carry luggage up 1 flight), or middle. Will we be too high to see the whites of the moose's eyes? :D We ended up taking the Whispering Willows because it has a king bed and a twin. We will enjoy using the twin to dump our "stuff."

I've been reading lots of posts re Vancouver hotels. We have the Marriott Pinnacle for points, but if I could get something good for a reasonable price I would save the points. Not sure if I'm up to priceline or hotwire. Never did that before.

fti did good! When I tried to book Holiday Inn Express online they were SOLD OUT! I called the hotel directly and was able to get a room for 1 night at $199 (more than I've ever spent on a hotel). I felt lucky to get it. Doubt if anyone could get a room now for points.

$199 is actually a good rate for this hotel. I know what you mean - I have never spent that much on a hotel either, much less a HI Express!! I have rarely spent $100/night on a hotel room either which is what I am paying for my room there per night. But being that you already have that booked, with no pressure you can still look around later for accommodations in Seward if you want something less expensive. I heard rave reviews about Ballaine House and her price is great. I just didn't want to wait until she starts taking reservations in November for next summer. Plus for me, the internet availability will be really helpful.

Glad that I booked mine with points when I did (yesterday) - I was wondering if it might sell out. July 4 is VERY busy in Seward and I arrive on July 6.

Actually I don't think the HI Express in Seward was "sold out" but that if you book online they have a 2-night minimum.

The Anchorage Courtyard Breakfast Lover's deal is a weekend special -- requires a Friday or Saturday night stayover, not available Monday thru Wednesday. When I first looked at Marriott rates I tried all of my discounts -- AAA, senior, etc -- and the lowest rate was $140, I think. Later, I was looking via aaa.com and this special came up and I grabbed it. Then I went back on Marriott.com and, only if I left out all my discounts, it showed the Breakfast Lover's deal.

I think the Courtyard deal is a real winner. Softens the blow of the HI in Seward a bit. Most Courtyards don't normally include breakfast so that is great it is included.

I've been reading lots of posts re Vancouver hotels. We have the Marriott Pinnacle for points, but if I could get something good for a reasonable price I would save the points. Not sure if I'm up to priceline or hotwire. Never did that before.

I use priceline a LOT. As NancyIL and I encouraged you to venture out in booking your own landtour, I would encourage you to give priceline a try. You can also use hotwire - their prices are usually a bit higher but with a bit of research, you can often tell the exact hotel you are going to get with hotwire. Neither works well in Anchorage in the summer but I think Vancouver is ideal for priceline.

If you want to try hotwire or priceline, I suggest you go to www.betterbidding.com and/or www.biddingfortravel.com and look at their sites. Biddingfortravel.com only deals with priceline and toward the top has "Frequently Asked Questions" for hotels that is rather lengthy but if you spend 15-20 minutes reading through that you will quickly become an experienced bidder. Betterbidding.com gives you tips on both priceline and hotwire. The key with either of these is to book a cancellable backup that you can always fall back on while you are bidding. Then once you win a bid on priceline, you cancel the backup. I am sure you will save 25-50% compared with normal prices if you use priceline in Vancouver. It does take a bit of work to research current conventional prices for hotels in Vancouver (priceline's rates are based on conventional rates for the dates you need). And you need to understand what is referred to on biddingfortravel as "free rebidding." And don't bid every day - bid once a week or a couple of times a month. Don't let it get so frustrating that you give up because you bid unsuccessfully so often. If you have any questions about bidding, let me know. As I said, I have done my fair share of bidding - so much so that friends now ask me to bid for them when they need a hotel somewhere!

NancyIL - there is a chance my 17 year old niece might come with me next summer on my trip. Depends on a lot of factors so we will see.

I thought it might be a weekend special. We'll be in Anchorage on a Monday, Saturday, and Tuesday night (that's when I have the Courtyard booked now using Marriott points) - and on Sat. I have the Hilton reserved for $46!!

The Blue Moose room is on the middle level -- ground level in front, up one level in the back.
Thanks for the info!

I used Starwood points to book the Westin Bayshore in Vancouver. That's a hotel that quite a few people seem to get on Priceline, but I wanted a sure thing, having stayed there before. I have used Priceline a lot for hotels, but this trip is already expensive enough, so I'm using hotel points where I can.

I use priceline a LOT. As NancyIL and I encouraged you to venture out in booking your own landtour, I would encourage you to give priceline a try. You can also use hotwire - their prices are usually a bit higher but with a bit of research, you can often tell the exact hotel you are going to get with hotwire. Neither works well in Anchorage in the summer but I think Vancouver is ideal for priceline.
I would normally give Priceline a try, but given the price of this vacation, I'm being cheap and using hotel points when possible. By the way, cruis'n sus'n already got the Sheraton in Anchorage on Priceline for next summer!

NancyIL - there is a chance my 17 year old niece might come with me next summer on my trip. Depends on a lot of factors so we will see.
Is that the same niece that went with you this past summer? Hope it works for her to join you.

I would normally give Priceline a try, but given the price of this vacation, I'm being cheap and using hotel points when possible. By the way, cruis'n sus'n already got the Sheraton in Anchorage on Priceline for next summer!

Is that the same niece that went with you this past summer? Hope it works for her to join you.

Hey, free is better than cheap through priceline! If you have the points, I would use them. I went back and forth about using my points for the HI Express in Seward, but felt that $200 for the 20,000 points was better in the longrun. I can convert 20,000 AmEx points to 25,000 miles on Delta or Continental when they come out with an offer and that is worth more than $200.

I will have to find cruis'n sus'n's posts about PL next summer. I struck out in that regard this past summer. Glad that she was able to get it.

Yes, that is the same niece who went with me this past summer. She loves to travel, just doesn't get many opportunities. Her and her mom will have to decide fairly soon - the flights using freq flyer miles will sell out I am sure, and probably the same with the floatplane to Brooks Camp. She could do just part of the trip too. We will see.

$199 is actually a good rate for this hotel. I know what you mean - I have never spent that much on a hotel either, much less a HI Express!! I have rarely spent $100/night on a hotel room either which is what I am paying for my room there per night. But being that you already have that booked, with no pressure you can still look around later for accommodations in Seward if you want something less expensive. I heard rave reviews about Ballaine House and her price is great. I just didn't want to wait until she starts taking reservations in November for next summer. Plus for me, the internet availability will be really helpful.

Glad that I booked mine with points when I did (yesterday) - I was wondering if it might sell out. July 4 is VERY busy in Seward and I arrive on July 6.

Actually I don't think the HI Express in Seward was "sold out" but that if you book online they have a 2-night minimum..

Yesterday is when I booked the HI Express as well, so I guess you were correct re online requiring 2 nights. What's the deal on buying Priority Club points? Can anyone with a Priority Club number do that? Could I have bought 10,000 points for $100 and then booked a room for 1 night?

If you want to try hotwire or priceline, I suggest you go to www.betterbidding.com and/or www.biddingfortravel.com and look at their sites. Biddingfortravel.com only deals with priceline and toward the top has "Frequently Asked Questions" for hotels that is rather lengthy but if you spend 15-20 minutes reading through that you will quickly become an experienced bidder. Betterbidding.com gives you tips on both priceline and hotwire. The key with either of these is to book a cancellable backup that you can always fall back on while you are bidding. Then once you win a bid on priceline, you cancel the backup. I am sure you will save 25-50% compared with normal prices if you use priceline in Vancouver. It does take a bit of work to research current conventional prices for hotels in Vancouver (priceline's rates are based on conventional rates for the dates you need). And you need to understand what is referred to on biddingfortravel as "free rebidding." And don't bid every day - bid once a week or a couple of times a month. Don't let it get so frustrating that you give up because you bid unsuccessfully so often. If you have any questions about bidding, let me know. As I said, I have done my fair share of bidding - so much so that friends now ask me to bid for them when they need a hotel somewhere!

Wow, there's a whole world out there that I am just learning about. I will look into priceline/hotwire, but probably not until December.

Thanks for all the learning.

Barbara

Just to keep you from searching all the back post, I did get Sheraton Anchorage Hotel thru Priceline...My bid was $76.00...Got it...Taxes & fees were $17.37...Total $93.37....Wish I could win some more bids on Priceline for that price....I've been bidding for a Vancouver hotel for over a week...Guess my bid is not high enough yet...I'll keep trying...Take care, Susan

Just to keep you from searching all the back post' date=' I did get Sheraton Anchorage Hotel thru Priceline...My bid was $76.00...Got it...Taxes & fees were $17.37...Total $93.37....Wish I could win some more bids on Priceline for that price....I've been bidding for a Vancouver hotel for over a week...Guess my bid is not high enough yet...I'll keep trying...Take care, Susan[/quote']

How high were your bids for Vancouver? It could be that Priceline has no inventory yet for next summer.

Yesterday is when I booked the HI Express as well, so I guess you were correct re online requiring 2 nights. What's the deal on buying Priority Club points? Can anyone with a Priority Club number do that? Could I have bought 10,000 points for $100 and then booked a room for 1 night?

As far as I know, anyone with a Priority Club number can buy up to 20,000 points/year (actually 20,000 points every 12 months) at 1 cent/point in increments of 1000 points ($10/1000 points). But as you noticed yesterday, you must book a minimum of two nights at HI Express in Seward when booking online. So you would have had to pay $200 for two nights.

Wow, there's a whole world out there that I am just learning about. I will look into priceline/hotwire, but probably not until December.

Thanks for all the learning.

Barbara

I would encourage you to find some hotel that you can "live with" in Vancouver while you wait to try priceline. You can always cancel it later.

Just to keep you from searching all the back post' date=' I did get Sheraton Anchorage Hotel thru Priceline...My bid was $76.00...Got it...Taxes & fees were $17.37...Total $93.37....Wish I could win some more bids on Priceline for that price....I've been bidding for a Vancouver hotel for over a week...Guess my bid is not high enough yet...I'll keep trying...Take care, Susan[/quote']

I went back earlier today to find your post about winning a hotel in Anchorage through priceline. That is great. I was trying on and off for months on priceline for a hotel in Anchorage for last June and we gave up and just booked conventionally.

When will you be in Anchorage? I see on hotwire for July 8 they are offering a 2-1/2 star suite hotel for $67. Sounds good, but hotwire usually rates hotels higher than priceline does. So in reality this is probably a 2* hotel on priceline. But not a bad price for a hotel with a pool, airport shuttle, kitchenette and some sort of 'suite'. Funny that no one has posted any winning bids in Anchorage on betterbidding.com for either Priceline or Hotwire.

I would encourage you to find some hotel that you can "live with" in Vancouver while you wait to try priceline. You can always cancel it later.

That's my plan. I have the Marriott Pinnacle reserved with Marriott points -- 65,000 of them for 3 nights. But I hate to use that many points, I don't get many of them any more. If I can get some deals on PL like I saw for this year on another Vancouver hotel thread (4* for $60-$80), that would be nice.

Nancy...The highest price I've bid for Vancouver is $89.00 for a 4 star....Yep' date=' I'm being cheap....

FTI...We will be in Anchorage on the evening of May 31, 2007...We will be back somewhere around Anchorage on June 8...

Take care everyone, Susan[/quote']

It looks like 4* hotels in Vancouver have been going for $90-$110/night this past summer. Since you won the Sheraton in Anchorage, you know the scheme. Book a cancellable backup and keep bidding. As time gets closer, you might have to increase your bid and/or jump down to a 3* hotel. As you probably know, the priceline rates are based on the normal rates for your specific dates of occupancy. So be sure to check the normal rates before you bid. It is very likely that the hotels have not given PL any inventory this far ahead of time.

Archived