Planning Process - Half the Fun!!!

JanetMarie

I just got turned on to this message board site a week ago, and found this Thread today. DH and I are departing in four weeks for our first cruise with eight other family members. I love to make lists, plan, shop, and shop more, pack, unpack, purge, and pack again, but until finding this message board I didn't know enough to organize everything. I wish I had all this information a year ago when we booked our cruise.

I am running out the ink in our printers trying to print all the threads full of useful information.

We're doing a 14 night South America/Panama Canal with Celebrity. Ten pair of shoes by the way. That is my luxury! But I wasn't packing slippers, should I?

Here's our planning fun in a nutshell.

CHECK IT OUT!!!

1. Cruise line, ship, and itinerary...$2,100.00

2. Pre-Cruise Hotel Stay...$325.00

3. Post Cruise Hotel Stay...$800.00

4. Airfare r/t for DW and I...$450.00

5. Cruise shopping...#1,000.00

5. Tanning...$120.00

6. Talking on the Cruise Critic message boards...PRICELESS

jOHN

I TOTALLY agree with all you "planners" out there. It is great fun doing all the research and planning for a vacation. This is my families first cruise together...kids are 12 and 14, husband and I went on one 15 years ago and I can't believe we let it go so long without another one.

Love reading all these posts.....lots of fun and you learn a TON

Happy Cruising in only 61 days!:p

Fun ritual for family or couples

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What DW and I do following our booking:

We like to put together a vacation portfolio containing printouts of our eticket flight information, pre and post cruise pics of hotel property photos and amenity info, our cruise itinerary, pics and info concerning the various ports of call, and excursions offered through the cruise line or private tour agencies, and of course, our TA paperwork and confirmation/booking numbers. I've already put together a 45 page vacation portfolio. Once its completed, you can show it to friends and family, or refer to it when you or someone else has a question about it. I enjoy the planning . To me, its a great way to pass the time when your anticipating embarkation day. Once its finished, you can peruse all the material you placed in it.

John

Days left until we sail on the Golden

Part of all the excitement of planning, is the "letting go" part once I'm actually on the cruise. I'm the one, in our household, that too gets the eye-roll, but once I'm there...I'm sooo laid back.

My husband will ask, "what's next on the agenda" and I'll simply say, "I don't know, what does our itinerary say ;-)"

However, I never over plan as to not allow for some spontaneity!

Best way to go!

OK, I am not in denial I am as normal as anyone not on a ship at this moment.

I do however make a small effort to be prepared for a few things that could happen in the future.

As soon as I get the first piece of paper from the cruise line confirming my cruise I get a new binder and put dividers in it. Now I have a starting point. Since my wife leaves this stuff to me I have total control of cruise planning. This is a wonderful feeling after 40 years of marriage to have total control of something in my life.

I went through 4 cruises before I discovered cruise critic's and the information contained on these boards. I can proudly say that I discovered 98% of the things required for being a pre-planner on my own with hard work and common sense.

Of course I have many websites for each ports of call and only print out the highlights for my binder. I have every piece of paper involved in the cruise in that binder. (and I mean every one)

I carry this binder with me to the airport, to the hotel, and to the cruise check-in desk. If I am asked for any document I can whip it out in seconds and shock the clerk at the counter. I have everything including medical records to justify the drugs ect.

It doesn't end there. While on the ship I have a special pouch for all recites and things of that nature. I get an extra daily newsletter and shopping guides and excurisions list to go into the binder upon my return home.

This way I have everything in one place and don't have to look all over the house or cabin to find something (I am 65 and can lose a paper without getting out of a chair.)

There are more details that I will not bore you with at this time but my bookmarks on my browser is getting full in the travel section.

SEE!!!! I am nothing but a normal person and not the least bit obsessive or compulsive, not to mention anal.

• 2 weeks later...

Jukeboxy: Wow, you are more of a planner than I am and my husband would be quite surprised and impressed. That is such a wonderful idea - putting everything in a binder and keeping track of all your receipts and paperwork that way. It is so difficult to keep track of everything, especially after arriving on the cruise and you go into meltdown mode and after a few drinks and all that sunshine, my brain goes to mush. My DH and I are always asking each other - where is that? Where did you put it? I don't know, where did YOU put it? etc. etc. So, I am going to bring a file folder or something (maybe a binder too) for all those pieces of paper, newsletters, itineraries, points of interest, etc. Another good idea is to bring post-it notes so you can stick reminders to yourself on the mirror about things you need to remember, for those blank moments. tsk tsk

Here's our planning fun in a nutshell.

CHECK IT OUT!!!

1. Cruise line, ship, and itinerary...$2,100.00

2. Pre-Cruise Hotel Stay...$325.00

3. Post Cruise Hotel Stay...$800.00

4. Airfare r/t for DW and I...$450.00

5. Cruise shopping...#1,000.00

5. Tanning...$120.00

. Talking on the Cruise Critic message boards...PRICELESS

jOHN

This is so cute. You are right !!

:) This is a WONDERFULL topic!!! I am enjoying ALL the reading, I too am the person-in-charge-of-planning-trips, I LOVE to plan trips!! Even if they are just three day get-a-ways, there is SO MUCH fun in planning trips!!

This year I have our cruise in April (the Norwegian Dawn) then we have a five day trip up to Maine and Vermont in August (staying in B & B's) and then a three day trip in September down to Lancaster, Pennsylvania, also staying in a B & B (I LOVE those Bed and Breakfasts!!...) I LOVE planning all those places of interest to go to. My DH and DD have never complained, I just print everything out, so we have a list of things we can do, sometimes we don't do everything, sometimes we do something else...

Since we have never cruised before, I find I am getting almost 100% of my information from these boards. They really are GREAT!! I have even found myself reading other cruise lines messages, not just NCL. I think I am thinking of our cruise in 2007 (because we already have another cruise on NCL booked for next year, February 2006, because I KNOW WE WILL LOVE CRUISING!!!!)

One of the luckiest things I read on the NCL board (just last month) was about "upgrading", before NCL changed their policy, I was able to upgrade to a truly excellent cabin, which makes me VERY HAPPY!!!

Of course my DH thinks I spend WAY to much time on the computer, I am sure I do, but I do learn quite a lot from this web site, it is jammed pack with information, very good and usefull information too....PLUS, some of the topics are just really good!!

Enjoy!!! :)

Suesan:):):)

After a cruise...what is there? IMHO...A cruise is by far the best vacation, and far better than any land-based vacation. There is nothing like sailing the caribbean, island hopping, booze cruises, formal dinners, relaxing in your balcony cabin and having a drink from your wet bar, ship-board activities, and calypso music pool-side. Shall I go on...(LOL) Guess I'm prejudice (LOL)

John

Ahhhhh....I've found my "home away from home" here!!!

I thought it was pathetic that I was already starting to plan & make umpteen lists for a cruise that isn't until March of NEXT year!! But as a Cruisin' Virgin, I'm determined to get it right the first time! :D

Yeah for lists! Hurray for planners! And BINDERS? Jukeboxy, that's brilliant! You're my new hero!! :p

I work for a major hotel chain so my parents have been calling me to book their hotel rooms for years. The rest of the family picked up this habit. Now I book everything for them. I even booked my parents trip to an area with no hotels from my chain - they got to stay in lovely bed and breakfasts.

I spent months picking out our next cruise. We are doing RCI Explorer on the Eastern Caribbean and the cruise leaves 2 days before my birthday. I invited everyone and told them about it and then put together a 21 page brochure with lots of extra information about the ports. I love the planning.

I didn't realize how much my family relied on me until my Dad called and asked what rates I had found for his flight to Ogden in April. I had to admit that I didn't know I was booking that for him. Maybe I should be a TA so I could make money out of doing something I love.

Thanks for all the planning tips. I use the heavy duty plastic envelopes for the different parts of a trip and keep them all in a much bigger resealable envelope (velcro closures). Happy Sailing!

:)Caroline, Aren't First Cruises EXCITING???!! My FIRST is this April 17th, on the Norwegian Dawn. I am SO EXCITED about this cruise!!! My DH and I will be celebrating our 15th Wedding Anniversary, our DD will be coming with us too. I hope she has a nice time too, she is 12 years old, I hope she makes a friend or two.

Isn't all the planning GREAT??!! I have a big spiral notebook for all my stuff, even my impressions on various people I speak with at the various cruise lines and on-line agencies. People I "like" I have their name and extension numbers, hey, you never know.....

Have FUN planning!!!

Suesan:):):)

Suesan,

There will be plenty for your DD to do. Cruise lines now specialize in programs for kids. Carnival has "Camp Carnival" and RCCL has a kids program as well. If thats not enough, you and your DH will have a memorable time on your cruise. My DW and I will be sailing on our 12th cruise April 17th on the Golden Princess from San Juan. I assume your sailing from New York, to port Canaveral, and the Bahamas. You will love the amenities that NCL now offers, such as Personal Choice Dining. Planning your cruise is just as exciting as the cruise itself. Enjoy the experience, for cruises are truly memorable.

John

Yeah for lists! Hurray for planners! And BINDERS? Jukeboxy, that's brilliant! You're my new hero!! :p

Oh, I am worse than that even, I use page protecters for some of the items that I can't punch with the three ring punch. I take half a dozen empty on the cruise for stuff I accumulate. Those little scraps that a normal person would throw away go in there nicely.

Oh, I also carry a small travel size stapler to help keep track of those small items.

Oh, I also carry a three ring punch so the normal size pages can go in the binder when I am in the cabin killing time before the next grazing session.

Yes, I bring all that crap home with me but there is a reason for this madness. I start going through all this trivia and trash a week or two after the cruise and it gives me an excuse to relive the cruise. In another post I will give more detail of computers and picture taking. That will give you a good laugh also.

One step down from the 3-ring binder would be those manilla folders with sides built in. They expand to one inch and things don't slide out of the side. I start one early on and keep adding to it whenever I get something worth taking. Once I get the cruise docs, I start organizing it and putting the items in a logical order from parking to check in etc.

This trip I have started something new. I used Adobe Acrobat to create a 50+ page document with all the information I could find. I down loaded the Princess brochure in pdf format from their web site and used the deck layout pages and a few others. I also found a full set of the daily news flyers from a recent cruise on the same ship/itinerary. I also found a few menus. I even found the port map info you ususally get the morning of your port stop. My wife thinks I'm crazy, but my daughter has been reading it every day.

I always say, whatever floats your boat!!!

I too enjoy planning our vacations. DW just lets me go to town on investigating cruise prices......I'm not anal about it though, I only visit about 37 online travel sites and call the 8 TAs til I'm satisfied with the price. heehee

I even signed up for the NCL MasterCard...seems they have some great point accumulation systems...I bet I'll be able to travel more often if it turns out as expected...if anyone's interested here's a thread I posted:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=138661

This is a great thread. Glad to know I'm not the only one that makes endless lists and pours over possible excursions, flights, hotels, and other things to do. I did the expandable portfolio last cruise, but am going with the binder - sheet protectors and all - since I am fondly known as the "Binder Queen" at work ;) Binders are much easier to use and things are always at your fingertips and nicely organized. Planning is half the fun!!

Jukeboxy - I loved your comment about being able to lose a piece of paper sitting in a chair :D Been there - done that and it drives me crazy!!

Are you guys all as anal in the other parts of your lives?

• 1 month later...

I start planning as soon as the last vacation ends (if I'm not already planning the next). It drives my DH crazy. I'm thrilled to know I'm not the only one :rolleyes: We're not cruising until 01/06, but I've been planning for 2 months already. I have a special basket that I begin storing all the items from the "list" in. That way I don't have to pay the extra $1000 for them on the final couple of payperiods. Some items I have from prior trips, but some always need to be replaced, since I've used them up or mis-placed them :( I really enjoy surfing the net for info on the places we'll be seeing and the places I want to eat and shop at.

What we always bring is a large map of the geographic area we are sailing in. We use tape (easilly removable type) to tape it to the wall of the cabin. Each day we use a marker to put in that days route.

We also save the "daily paper" (Pattter,whatever they callit) Then I use a 3ring binder and have it (them ) availble when anyone asks about the cruise.

This all sounds so familiar......

The more detailed the planning the longer it lasts. The cruise may only last a week or two, but the planning lasts for months. I also list all the things I need to do the week or two before we leave (e.g. set timers for lights, get haircut, etc.). The irony of it is that once we leave for the cruise, I never look at the lists again. I think I just use them to familiarize myself with the options and organize my time in my head. It's all such great fun!

• 2 weeks later...

Being the Planner for our group of extended family members and friends is a lot of work but FUN FUN FUN!

I too am in to putting everything together into a binder to take on the cruise ship with me so that I have it all easily accessable and where I can quickly find all the information as although I have a great memory it definitely is very short term!!!

I start out with a section of my filing cabinet dedicated to the cruise. I have file folders for cruise costs - ariline costs - ports of call etc. As I research these various items whatever I print out from the net is put in the apropriate file. Once closer to the actual departure date and after I have actually made firm commitments for all private tours etc. I weed out these files and then make my binder.

I also prepare an itinerary that includes information on all our ports - our pre & post cruise stays - transfers - flights with all confirmation numbers & phone numbers. this itinerary grows over the course of my planning of this cruise/trip and I e-mail it around to our group. Once it is finalized - about the time our documents arrive I actually print out a copy for everyone in our group and mail it to them so they can leave copies with children etc.

I also prepare my photo albums by preprinting title pages for each port of call.

I have blank pages for various sizes of photos (so I can buy some of the ships photos & put them in my album). I take our printer along so I can print out copies of my favorite digital photos for my scrap book (or I get the ships photo dept to do it if their prices are good). I take along blank pages (card stock quality) that I have punched and inserted into the 3 ring binder type of photo album these are for me to paste cutouts from brochures or the Ships Daily Paper of information that I want to keep for that day. Naturally I take along siccors, glue, tape, a hole punch etc. This is a great way to arrive home with a very interesting log of your cruise.

Also when planning the cruise I remember to check out the laundry facilities so bring soap clothspins etc (this due to the fact we generally take a at least a 14 night cruise). This info I pass on to our group so they know what to pack.

We generally pack along a couple of cans of mixed nuts - great to have a few to enjoy with a predinner drink in the cabin. Plus the empty cans are a great way to bring home small breakable statues that you buy on the cruise.

On my last cruise I packed along an empty ice cream bucket and it was great for hand washing small items & then I used it to pack a carving that I bought home.

Right now I am definitely in withdrawal as we want to cruise the Med next and the itineraries are not all out for 2006. Wish I could afford to go this year or to take a cheap Alaska cruise to help me over this withdrawal thing.

Happy Planning to all