Does anyone know...

Sky Sweet

X has realized they can make more money by having a regular RT cruise from NY and a 2 day dead head than they can by doing a Repositioning cruise. The repos end up being very low revenue cruises. X is having less and less repo cruises.

That's one reason you see the repos when they do happen having so few ports. Fewer ports, lower port charges and more the passengers spend on board. They have to do this to recover some of the money they lose by the low cruise fare.

Does anyone know why the November 7 cruise on the Constellation is round trip out of NJ, instead of a reposition cruise, when its following cruise on Nov 20 is out of Fort Lauderdale?

Hi Sky Sweet !

IMHO, Celebrity made a number of errors with their schedules this season, and this is just another example. They should have done a repo sailing from NJ to FLL, but they opted to do a RT NJ sailing, then sail empty to FLL (by the way, I am on the 11/20 sailing out of FLL).

To top it off, that puts Constellation in Ft Lauderdale on Monday 11/20. You would think they would have started her with the typical 11 night sailing that departs on Mondays ? No. They have her doing a 7 night sailing Monday - Monday (yup, that will be a hot seller <smile>) and then an 11 night sailing on 11/26. This means Constellation does not do any 10 night sailings until 12/8. Add to this, the cancelled sailing in April, and Constellation only has 6, 10 night sailings all season. Considering this is one of their best Caribbean itineraries, they should have tried to plan this out better.

Oh, and by the way ? Constellation DOES do a repo from NJ to FLL in 2007, so even Celebrity must know they did a terrible job with the planning for Constellation this coming season.

X has realized they can make more money by having a regular RT cruise from NY and a 2 day dead head than they can by doing a Repositioning cruise. The repos end up being very low revenue cruises. X is having less and less repo cruises.

That's one reason you see the repos when they do happen having so few ports. Fewer ports, lower port charges and more the passengers spend on board. They have to do this to recover some of the money they lose by the low cruise fare.

Hi Chessbriar :)

Thank you for answering my question. It makes a lot of sense since there are a lot of people in the Northeast who are willing to pay a premium for a cruise if they don't have to fly to a port.

Hi Sky Sweet !

IMHO, Celebrity made a number of errors with their schedules this season, and this is just another example. They should have done a repo sailing from NJ to FLL, but they opted to do a RT NJ sailing, then sail empty to FLL (by the way, I am on the 11/20 sailing out of FLL).

To top it off, that puts Constellation in Ft Lauderdale on Monday 11/20. You would think they would have started her with the typical 11 night sailing that departs on Mondays ? No. They have her doing a 7 night sailing Monday - Monday (yup, that will be a hot seller <smile>) and then an 11 night sailing on 11/26. This means Constellation does not do any 10 night sailings until 12/8. Add to this, the cancelled sailing in April, and Constellation only has 6, 10 night sailings all season. Considering this is one of their best Caribbean itineraries, they should have tried to plan this out better.

Oh, and by the way ? Constellation DOES do a repo from NJ to FLL in 2007, so even Celebrity must know they did a terrible job with the planning for Constellation this coming season.

Hi Andy :)

I would have also thought that a Monday to Monday cruise during the tail end of hurricane season in the Caribbean, which includes a port day on Thanksgiving with no cruise sponsored shore excursions would not sell well. However, since Celebrity has not reduced its prices after final payments were due, did not include it with its Happy Hour specials, and is not offering a senior citizen discount for it, it is probably a profitable cruise for them.

Hi Andy :)

I would have also thought that a Monday to Monday cruise during the tail end of hurricane season in the Caribbean, which includes a port day on Thanksgiving with no cruise sponsored shore excursions would not sell well. However, since Celebrity has not reduced its prices after final payments were due, did not include it with its Happy Hour specials, and is not offering a senior citizen discount for it, it is probably a profitable cruise for them.

Correction to my post quoted above....After I posted this message, I discovered that Celebrity is now offering a senior citizen's discount for this cruise.

Correction to my post quoted above....After I posted this message, I discovered that Celebrity is now offering a senior citizen's discount for this cruise.

Yes, they are. Frankly, I am not surprised at all.

Archived