First time cruiser - My recent cruise on Valor

BellaWood

Eastern Caribbean Cruise - Carnival Valor 9/10/06-9/17/06

Main Deck - Room 2347 Ocean View

Washington dining room - 8:00pm seating upstairs

Day 1 - Arrive Miami

Carnival transfers were very organized and quick. We landed in Miami and within an hour we were at the cruise terminal. About 30 minutes after that we were onboard ship. The lines were long but moved quickly. BUT there is a lot of walking to get to the ship and you feel it's never going to be finished. Added note we also had our luggage by 3pm ;)

Once we got on the ship it was fabulous. We both had this surreal moment and couldn't believe we were finally here. Since we got our luggage early, went for fish and chips (yummy) and a to die for chocolate cake. Then it was time for the dreaded lifeboatdrill. It wasn't to bad though because I'd been forwarned by Cruise Critic members and waited until the third reminder before heading up. Hubby was freaking though and I said "trust me we can wait". Afterwards we headed to sailaway which was like one huge party. Got our foo-foo drink while waving at passing boats and swaying to the island band.

Tried to meet up with my Cruise Critic forum members but we missed them so we headed to our other group meet and greet. Back to the room to get ready for dinner. Our head waitress was a sweetie (Sarita) and the food awesome. Checked out more of the ship and headed to bed to unpack and prepare for our next day in port.

Our day started with coffee and toast arriving at our door and waking us. (I had intended to use my Verizon phone for an alarm BUT the dates and times were way off when we were out to sea, it read a good 5 weeks and 4 hours into the future) Thank goodness because we were approaching Nassau.

It was so cool. (Remember this is our first cruise) I just can't explain it any better than that. We hustle to get ready and head into town. But first we must find our way off the ship. Read those capers a little closer Anne so that you see it's Deck 0 to get off the ship and not the deck you came in on "3".

We began walking around town but almost everything was still closed. Many places didn't open until 9:30am. My kinda people. We did find the straw market but after finding a hat we got outta there. All the vendors, they're stacked one after another begging/hounding you for your business.

So we went people watching. What is that I spy? A familiar green sign? Can

you possibly guess? Why it's STARBUCKS!!! Since it was bathroom break time

we headed into the cafe. We ordered a cup of java and took it out on the balcony and continued our watching.

Next up a carriage ride through town. Our driver was a wanna be comedian named Desmond. Our horses name was Colors. It was a lovely ride even in all the crazy traffic. Afterwards we did a bit of shopping and checked out the town more and I was amazed with how clean it was since I'd heard such bad things about Nassau.

Then we headed back to the ship for a late lunch. But on our way we ran into Rollerblade Guy. This dude was cruisin all over the place and having a good ole time. What a way to travel.

We had a bite to eat and the hamburgers at the grill are wonderful. They have mushrooms and carmelized onions to add and it just made them perfect. Then it's time for a nap before dinner. Hubby slept while I watched sailaway and ironed. Fortunately, we were only a few doors down from the launderette ;)

Then it was time for the Capt's Cocktail party. Picture this - the ship has a pretty good sway going and lot's of women in heels. (blame Florence). We greet the captain and his crew, sit down and enjoy a few complementary cocktails. Oh and I've discovered I like whisky sours.

My dinner again was delish but for the 4th time in two days I had fish, only because I don't care for steak or lobster. My dessert was Terimisu.....yum, especially for this coffee/chocolate lover. I think this is also the same night I had the pumpkin soup and it was superb!!!!

We finished our evening watching a show with the Valor band & dancers. They were pretty good but don't sit to close, as we did, or you see all the rigging of costumes unless your wanting a close up view of gals rear ends :)

The next day was a sea day so we spent our time exploring the activities on the ship. Later in the afternoon our group had a shuffleboard tournament. Dinner was fun with the congo line after dessert and watching the waiters dance on the tables.

Later in the evening we went to the show and laughed so hard my sides hurt. The ventriloguist (Jerry Goodspeed) was to funny, the hand fell off a dummy and he improved quite well. The comedian was a wild and crazy tall bald guy (Allyn Ball). Wished we coulda stayed and saw his adult show but knew we were gonna have a big day the next day.

Today was St Thomas full of beautiful islands and the most hapening tour. Sunny Liston was an excellent guide and had us laughing, singing & boppin up and down

the curvey roads all over the island. Those on the Godfrey tour were jealous since we were having more fun and many wished they'd taken ours. The banana daiquiris at the top of the Mountain probably didn't hurt. BTW added note the bathrooms at this place were disgusting.

We spent the rest of our time shopping and eating . I purchased some fabo austrailian opal earrings & made quite a few purchases at Del Sol. The taxi drivers drive you nuts from the moment you set foot in the shopping area. They are lined up and down the road one after the other and each and every one are saying "Need a ride back to the ship". I wanted to bop em.

When we decided to head back to the ship we grabbed a taxi already heading back and had a wild ride with a crazy taxi driver....he was fast dodging and weaving through traffic.

Instead of going to dinner we opted for room service and hanging out in the whirlpool. After our big day I didn't think I could handle a big dinner and getting duded up. I finally found something on this ship that totally sucks. CHOCOLATE MILK!!!!! blech. nasty. grosso. But the hot chocolate made up for it ;)

The next day was gorgeous St Maarten/Martin. We adored this island and took the Explorer cruise and island tour. Well worth the money. The air conditioned bus traveling the island was a nice relief and they made scenic stops. We also stopped for about an hour in Marigot and loved the shopping there. Then we got on the Explorer and cruised the bay for about an hour. GORGEOUS! Plus there was an open bar with free drinks. Due to the early morning hour I opted for mango juice and that stuff is addicting. After our cruise around the bay it was more site seeing by bus.

We then headed to the ship for a quick lunch and drop off some packages. We then took a water taxi out and explored the dutch side some more and did a bit more shopping. After we were tuckered out we headed back to the ship.

Now we're to Friday and a sea day we just were a bit of everywhere on the ship. We started our day with coffee in our room (added not we'd get our coffee about 5 minutes after ordering). Next up we headed up to the deck to relax, read and sun. Later in the day hubby went to the spa and I went shopping for amber. Then it was pizza time and it is as good as they say and I'm pretty picky about my pizza.

Dinner was formal night again and we went before to the lobby for our group picture. Then off to the Washington dining room. I opted for fish again and this time I didn't care for the perch. It was tough and not very tasty but I went for ambiance not for the food. I'm more a regular food gal.

After dinner we headed to Lindy Hop to see Ron Pass. He was good, very good but wished we could have found a seat near the piano but alas we were on a bench missing all the fun. Then we went to the midnight show with the comedian Jim Brick. I was very disappointed coz he wasn't funny. A few chuckles was about it! He was relentless on this older couple and it just got rather old. Oh well!

Next day was our last sea day. It rained a bit off and on so we just visited with folks, got temporary tattoos and enjoyed the deck between raindrops. After dinner this evening we went to the Legends show and enjoyed seeing our fellow cruisers perform. Then back to the room to pack, ARG!

We chose to do self assist and they started allowing people off about 7am with this method. We got off the ship about 7:30 because I had to make a photo run. We were at the airport by 8am and our flight didn't leave until 2:40pm so we hung out for a LONG time trying to nap.

As added information for those interested. They tell you to go to these meetings with the cruise director and one family member must attend. Don't fret they have them shown on the tv all day long. I wish I'd known I could have avoided sitting through an hour talk and been on deck doing something fun!

The gala buffet was on Friday night and it was beautiful. Took lots of pictures and then Saturday afternoon was the chocolate buffet. The banana fritters with vanilla sauce and the cakes were awesome. So was the pineapple from the chocolate fountain ;)

We're planning where to go next because I believe many more cruises are in our future. Hubby wants to do Alaska I wanna stick to the warm climates. On this cruise there were very few things that didn't meet my expectations and actually exceeded anything I could have imagined.

If you liked the Valor, you might consider the Western Carribean cruise it takes to Cayman, Roatan, Belize and Costa Maya. We enjoyed it so much that we are thinking of taking the Valor to the Eastern Carribean. There would be an advantage to already knowing your way around the ship, that's for sure.

If you liked the Valor, you might consider the Western Carribean cruise it takes to Cayman, Roatan, Belize and Costa Maya. We enjoyed it so much that we are thinking of taking the Valor to the Eastern Carribean. There would be an advantage to already knowing your way around the ship, that's for sure.

Actually that's what I'm thinking of doing :) But then I'm also thinking book 2 cruises to look forward to LOL

So what was your favorite port and why?

Thanks for the great review. DH & I leave on our first Carnival cruise on the Valor 11/26, western itinerary. Have cruised other lines several times in the past.

Love to hear you agree with other posters that the Valor's pizza is top notch. DH is looking forward to some good pizza aboard ship.

Thanks again for posting your review.

Dianne

Eastern Caribbean Cruise - Carnival Valor 9/10/06-9/17/06

Main Deck - Room 2347 Ocean View

Washington dining room - 8:00pm seating upstairs

Day 1 - Arrive Miami

Carnival transfers were very organized and quick. We landed in Miami and within an hour we were at the cruise terminal. About 30 minutes after that we were onboard ship. The lines were long but moved quickly. BUT there is a lot of walking to get to the ship and you feel it's never going to be finished. Added note we also had our luggage by 3pm ;)

Once we got on the ship it was fabulous. We both had this surreal moment and couldn't believe we were finally here. Since we got our luggage early, went for fish and chips (yummy) and a to die for chocolate cake. Then it was time for the dreaded lifeboatdrill. It wasn't to bad though because I'd been forwarned by Cruise Critic members and waited until the third reminder before heading up. Hubby was freaking though and I said "trust me we can wait". Afterwards we headed to sailaway which was like one huge party. Got our foo-foo drink while waving at passing boats and swaying to the island band.

Tried to meet up with my Cruise Critic forum members but we missed them so we headed to our other group meet and greet. Back to the room to get ready for dinner. Our head waitress was a sweetie (Sarita) and the food awesome. Checked out more of the ship and headed to bed to unpack and prepare for our next day in port.

Our day started with coffee and toast arriving at our door and waking us. (I had intended to use my Verizon phone for an alarm BUT the dates and times were way off when we were out to sea, it read a good 5 weeks and 4 hours into the future) Thank goodness because we were approaching Nassau.

It was so cool. (Remember this is our first cruise) I just can't explain it any better than that. We hustle to get ready and head into town. But first we must find our way off the ship. Read those capers a little closer Anne so that you see it's Deck 0 to get off the ship and not the deck you came in on "3".

We began walking around town but almost everything was still closed. Many places didn't open until 9:30am. My kinda people. We did find the straw market but after finding a hat we got outta there. All the vendors, they're stacked one after another begging/hounding you for your business.

So we went people watching. What is that I spy? A familiar green sign? Can

you possibly guess? Why it's STARBUCKS!!! Since it was bathroom break time

we headed into the cafe. We ordered a cup of java and took it out on the balcony and continued our watching.

Next up a carriage ride through town. Our driver was a wanna be comedian named Desmond. Our horses name was Colors. It was a lovely ride even in all the crazy traffic. Afterwards we did a bit of shopping and checked out the town more and I was amazed with how clean it was since I'd heard such bad things about Nassau.

Then we headed back to the ship for a late lunch. But on our way we ran into Rollerblade Guy. This dude was cruisin all over the place and having a good ole time. What a way to travel.

We had a bite to eat and the hamburgers at the grill are wonderful. They have mushrooms and carmelized onions to add and it just made them perfect. Then it's time for a nap before dinner. Hubby slept while I watched sailaway and ironed. Fortunately, we were only a few doors down from the launderette ;)

Then it was time for the Capt's Cocktail party. Picture this - the ship has a pretty good sway going and lot's of women in heels. (blame Florence). We greet the captain and his crew, sit down and enjoy a few complementary cocktails. Oh and I've discovered I like whisky sours.

My dinner again was delish but for the 4th time in two days I had fish, only because I don't care for steak or lobster. My dessert was Terimisu.....yum, especially for this coffee/chocolate lover. I think this is also the same night I had the pumpkin soup and it was superb!!!!

We finished our evening watching a show with the Valor band & dancers. They were pretty good but don't sit to close, as we did, or you see all the rigging of costumes unless your wanting a close up view of gals rear ends :)

The next day was a sea day so we spent our time exploring the activities on the ship. Later in the afternoon our group had a shuffleboard tournament. Dinner was fun with the congo line after dessert and watching the waiters dance on the tables.

Later in the evening we went to the show and laughed so hard my sides hurt. The ventriloguist (Jerry Goodspeed) was to funny, the hand fell off a dummy and he improved quite well. The comedian was a wild and crazy tall bald guy (Allyn Ball). Wished we coulda stayed and saw his adult show but knew we were gonna have a big day the next day.

Today was St Thomas full of beautiful islands and the most hapening tour. Sunny Liston was an excellent guide and had us laughing, singing & boppin up and down

the curvey roads all over the island. Those on the Godfrey tour were jealous since we were having more fun and many wished they'd taken ours. The banana daiquiris at the top of the Mountain probably didn't hurt. BTW added note the bathrooms at this place were disgusting.

We spent the rest of our time shopping and eating . I purchased some fabo austrailian opal earrings & made quite a few purchases at Del Sol. The taxi drivers drive you nuts from the moment you set foot in the shopping area. They are lined up and down the road one after the other and each and every one are saying "Need a ride back to the ship". I wanted to bop em.

When we decided to head back to the ship we grabbed a taxi already heading back and had a wild ride with a crazy taxi driver....he was fast dodging and weaving through traffic.

Instead of going to dinner we opted for room service and hanging out in the whirlpool. After our big day I didn't think I could handle a big dinner and getting duded up. I finally found something on this ship that totally sucks. CHOCOLATE MILK!!!!! blech. nasty. grosso. But the hot chocolate made up for it ;)

The next day was gorgeous St Maarten/Martin. We adored this island and took the Explorer cruise and island tour. Well worth the money. The air conditioned bus traveling the island was a nice relief and they made scenic stops. We also stopped for about an hour in Marigot and loved the shopping there. Then we got on the Explorer and cruised the bay for about an hour. GORGEOUS! Plus there was an open bar with free drinks. Due to the early morning hour I opted for mango juice and that stuff is addicting. After our cruise around the bay it was more site seeing by bus.

We then headed to the ship for a quick lunch and drop off some packages. We then took a water taxi out and explored the dutch side some more and did a bit more shopping. After we were tuckered out we headed back to the ship.

Now we're to Friday and a sea day we just were a bit of everywhere on the ship. We started our day with coffee in our room (added not we'd get our coffee about 5 minutes after ordering). Next up we headed up to the deck to relax, read and sun. Later in the day hubby went to the spa and I went shopping for amber. Then it was pizza time and it is as good as they say and I'm pretty picky about my pizza.

Dinner was formal night again and we went before to the lobby for our group picture. Then off to the Washington dining room. I opted for fish again and this time I didn't care for the perch. It was tough and not very tasty but I went for ambiance not for the food. I'm more a regular food gal.

After dinner we headed to Lindy Hop to see Ron Pass. He was good, very good but wished we could have found a seat near the piano but alas we were on a bench missing all the fun. Then we went to the midnight show with the comedian Jim Brick. I was very disappointed coz he wasn't funny. A few chuckles was about it! He was relentless on this older couple and it just got rather old. Oh well!

Next day was our last sea day. It rained a bit off and on so we just visited with folks, got temporary tattoos and enjoyed the deck between raindrops. After dinner this evening we went to the Legends show and enjoyed seeing our fellow cruisers perform. Then back to the room to pack, ARG!

We chose to do self assist and they started allowing people off about 7am with this method. We got off the ship about 7:30 because I had to make a photo run. We were at the airport by 8am and our flight didn't leave until 2:40pm so we hung out for a LONG time trying to nap.

As added information for those interested. They tell you to go to these meetings with the cruise director and one family member must attend. Don't fret they have them shown on the tv all day long. I wish I'd known I could have avoided sitting through an hour talk and been on deck doing something fun!

The gala buffet was on Friday night and it was beautiful. Took lots of pictures and then Saturday afternoon was the chocolate buffet. The banana fritters with vanilla sauce and the cakes were awesome. So was the pineapple from the chocolate fountain ;)

We're planning where to go next because I believe many more cruises are in our future. Hubby wants to do Alaska I wanna stick to the warm climates. On this cruise there were very few things that didn't meet my expectations and actually exceeded anything I could have imagined.

There is nothing like a cruise. I feel it is the best vacation dollar for dollar. Glad you had a great time.

I just returned from the Western Caribbean on the Valor. While I loved all the ports, my favorite was Costa Maya. We did not do a tour there. We took a van into Majahual and sat on the beach at a bar and eat and swam and relax. Then we walked around and shopped. It was the prettiest of all the beaches that we went to on this trip. I just loved it. Don't be fooled by the port area, as it is very commerical. Take the trip 2 miles to Majahual, the fishing village. Very quiant.

Thanks for posting such a great review. It sure sounds like you had a great time. We leave for the Valor in just over two weeks, and we can't wait! We're sailing the Eastern Caribbean route as you did, so I appreciate all of the info that you provided on the ports.

Hi Bellawood! We missed you at the meet and greet. Question. Did you do the See & Sea Island Tour in St. Maarten? We had booked that tour weeks before and they called us 15 minutes before our tour and told us it was canceled. Just curious if this was the same trip?

Just wanted to add my 2 cents worth on the Valor. Sushi and more Sushi. It's great, couldn't get enough of it. Our waiter Paul was excellent. You couldn't get a better waiter.

We did the Eastern route last February and it was awesome. Coki Beach in St. Thomas is well worth the trip. We rented a Jeep, but I would recommend taking a taxi.

We loved the Valor so much, we're doing the western route this coming February 4th (Super Bowl Sunday - Go Bengals!!!). Talked several friends into joining us. I'm sold on the Valor.

My favorite port was Roatan. Tabyana Beach has got to be one of the prettiest beaches in the world. It got a little crowded but not overly crowded. Great snorkeling right off the beach...they have a bar there with fairly inexpensive drinks (compared to what you pay on the ship)...they have some beachside vendors as well and a buffet restaurant too....

I've been to Trunk Bay, Meagan's Bay, SeaGrape Beach, Chunkanaab Park in Cozumel, Uvero Beach and Goff's Caye and Fortuna Beach in Freeport....all were gorgeous, but none compare in my mind to Tabyana Beach. Roatan is a gorgeous island.

Hi Bellawood! We missed you at the meet and greet. Question. Did you do the See & Sea Island Tour in St. Maarten? We had booked that tour weeks before and they called us 15 minutes before our tour and told us it was canceled. Just curious if this was the same trip?

We did the Explorer cruise and island tour it began at 8:15am that morning. Viewing the descriptions it does have some similarities but here is our:

http://www.carnival.com/ShoreExcursionDetails.aspx?portcode=SXM&excursionname=Explorer+Cruise+%26+Island+Tour&excursioncode=433007

I probably should start a new thread but maybe y'all could help. Okay we're looking at booking the Valor again for the Western Caribbean next fall/winter and doing Alaska during the July time frame.

This last time we booked with a local group....prices came down significantly ($400) but we weren't allowed any upgrades or OBC because we were booked through a TA with a group.

So this next time I want to do it through a PVP or online but since we are now past guests and hubby is also qualified for Military discount how do you find out more about these rates?

Also how do you get a good PVP and do you need one if you book online?

DH & I will be sailing our first Carnival cruise on Valor in Nov. and were enticed to the cruise via Carnival's military discount. We have booked 15 of our 17 cruises through one on-line TA and have our own personal TA there that we can reach via telephone or e-mail almost every day (even have a home phone # in case of er or quick response needs).

Our on-line TA has checked several avenues for us regarding price drops on our Valor cruise and still comes up with our Military Rate being the cheapest for our upcoming cruise. We booked this cruise in March. We understand there are only so many cabins available on certain cruises for military rate and it is good to book ASAP to get that rate.

I know frequent Carnival cruisers can help you more. Just wanted to throw in my limited info to get others started in answering your question.

Dianne

I'm not a big drinker in fact I drink maybe 2 drinks a year socially but had at least one foo-foo drink daily. The appletini's knocked me on my arse ;)

At the top of the mountain since it was so early in the day I asked them to go light on my alcohol. Soooo they put the extra in hubbies glass.

If you take a Godfrey or Sunny Liston tour in St Thomas they do their tours together by taking turns during the speaking parts. If you want a laid back quiet tour pick Godfrey. If you want party music and boogying up/down the mountain pick Sunny.

Everyone I spoke to on the trip wished we coulda spent more time in St. Maarten/Martin because we all agreed that was our favorite island. Many went on tours and didn't get to see both sides but on our tour we did so we were lucky ones.

Lastly (I think) yeah in the beginning we were anxious about getting back to the ship on time but had no problems. In St Thomas heck we were done with what we wanted to do a good hour before we even needed to be back. Then between our 4 hour tour in St. Maarten/Martin and later shopping beaching we spent an hour on the ship having lunch. We still got back an hour before we needed to. We spent our last hour hanging out at one of the bars/restaurants (Greenhouse ????) having a drink since the water taxi was within a few yards. Water taxi took about 10 minutes to get to the dock by the ship.

I don't think anyone missed the ship in any ports on this trip at least I didn't see or hear of anyone?

Oh another thing I'd change on the next cruise is I'd have early dinner seating rather than late dinner seating. WHY you ask? :) The food options from 3-6 pm when you may want a bite to hold you over aren't near as fabulous (even though they are perfectly good, burgers/pizza/room service) as the late night buffets. I never ate any of the late night buffets coz I'd practically just got done eating dinner.

Also if I had early dinner I could go to the early show at 8:30pm and be able to take part in the late night parties on the Lido deck. That's one thing I missed not being able to do because we'd go to the late show and missed the deck fun.

Just remembered something else we found rather interesting. All the different nationalities of crew members on the ship and EVERYONE we spoke with we had no problems communicating. They understood us and we understood them. BUT when we were flying out of Miami International just down from our gate we stopped at a sub shop. The lady behind the counter did not understand and could not speak english. Had to have a guy in line interpret for hubby she had no clue he was asking for half a sandwich (not possible btw) and she just kept saying Yes, Yes. But they sold mango juice and I've fallen in love with that stuff. Now if I could only find it here in good ole southern Indiana.

BUT when we were flying out of Miami International just down from our gate we stopped at a sub shop. The lady behind the counter did not understand and could not speak english. Had to have a guy in line interpret for hubby she had no clue he was asking for half a sandwich (not possible btw)

I must have eaten at the same shop on my return from the Valor earlier this year. Too funny.

Wonderful review, Bella.

Just out of curiosity, how close do you have to sit to see the, what's it called, ringing of the costumes? I have always been fascinated with seeing an actual ringing of some costumes taking place:D

Okay are you fooling with me maybe????? :p I said RIGGING not ringing :p

We were in the balcony, front row in front of the plexiglass overlooking the stage. You could see the tattoos on the rears of the girls and a lot of rear was showing LOL it was little more than a thong. Additionally for those gals not so well endowed you could see the extra padding sticking out the top of their outfits!

Archived