own transportation

pipster37

I have read here that many people take Oceania's credit and book their own air. We also have miles with Delta. Oceania's credit to us is $875.00. To book up to business class is using 50,000 miles and approx. $2300.00 per person. We are on a waiting list to use our miles for coach which is just using miles. If we have to purchase our air the lowest I can find is$1200.00 which is more than Oceania's credit so I see no choice if we do not get to use our miles than we have to use Oceania's air. So I can not see how people do not take Oceania's air. Could someone explain? Thanks

We have done it both ways.

Oceania Air: You will travel coach and cannot use miles to upgrade ... grim for us, having to fly 18+ hrs. Advantage - if there are airline delays, they might hold the ship for your arrival. On our voyage, 40 people on Oceania air got delayed out of SFO and they held the ship until they arrived (midnight). Doubt that they would hold the ship for one couple, but they would probably fly you to the first port.

Self-arranged: You can use miles to fly First/Business. Caveat - arrive at least a day early ... ship will definitely not wait for you. Our (Delta) connection from JFK did get delayed and we would have had to figure out how to get to Warnemude on our own had we not flown in early.

Possibly perk:-) The luggage of a lady on Oceania air did not make it. O gave her two (upscale) t-shirts which she had to "rotate" until the luggage caught up (4-ports) ... she was a good sport about it.

It could be cheaper to book your own air, at least in my case it was. When I booked the April 8th Barcelona to Athens Insignia cruise, by turning down the free air, I received a $1000 rebate on the cabin as well as not being charged $730 in air taxes for 2 tickets for a total out of pocket savings of $1730.

I purchased 2 multi city tickets, Philadelphia-Barcelona, Athens-Philadelphia for $1590, a savings of $140. In addition, I chose my own flight itinerary, getting to Barcelona 2 days early and adding a day to Athens.

"If we have to purchase our air the lowest I can find is$1200.00 which is more than Oceania's credit so I see no choice if we do not get to use our miles than we have to use Oceania's air. So I can not see how people do not take Oceania's air. Could someone explain? Thanks"

You don't mention where you are flying to and from, but if it is an international flight, then I'd say paying $1200. and getting a Business Class seat is a bargain. We fly from SFO and have bought economy tickets and used FF miles for trips to Asia, South America, and Europe. Those tickets have cost us as little as $1000. and as much as $1800. Compared to flying coach for such trips, I think we did very well.

wrote in part:

Possibly perk:-) The luggage of a lady on Oceania air did not make it. O gave her two (upscale) t-shirts which she had to "rotate" until the luggage caught up (4-ports) ... she was a good sport about it.

There is this thing called travel insurance. Which covers lost or delayed luggage.

I have read here that many people take Oceania's credit and book their own air. We also have miles with Delta. Oceania's credit to us is $875.00. To book up to business class is using 50,000 miles and approx. $2300.00 per person. We are on a waiting list to use our miles for coach which is just using miles. If we have to purchase our air the lowest I can find is$1200.00 which is more than Oceania's credit so I see no choice if we do not get to use our miles than we have to use Oceania's air. So I can not see how people do not take Oceania's air. Could someone explain? Thanks

If the air in economy costs you more than the air credit with Oceania then I would suggest you just take the Oceania air. For a fee of $75.00 p/p

you can buy the deviation which means you can find those flights that work for you, perhaps coming in a day or more early or staying a day or more after.

In any event you can find the flights and times that you like and your travel agent can give that info to Oceania. If they can get you those flights they will, if the flights cost more than what their "allowance" is you will be told the price differential. You can then decide.

As far as biz class, that is a matter of personal taste. It costs more. Even if O offers it it woulkd probably be somewheres like $2900 p/p extra. Keeping in mind that "Usually" ship biz class upgrades only are biz class over the ocean segments.

So say you live in L.A. and are going to Barcelona. You might be flown economy to NY then it would be biz class from NY to Barcelona.

If you get it yourself, of course you will for sure be flying comfort biz all the way and most likely can get on a direct flight ( no stops).

Good luck!

"You say you live in L.A. and are going to Barcelona. You might be flown economy to NY then it would be biz class from NY to Barcelona."

There are many choices from LAX for nonstop flights to Europe just as there are for us in San Francisco. Buying an economy ticket and using FF miles to upgrade gives us Business Class on the LONG flight to Europe and usually economy for the short flight within Europe.

Archived