SENIOR NEEDS HELP WITH SHORE-Xs

elou

I'm All Excited To Be Going To New Ports. Any Suggestions For Barbados, Dominica, Curacao And Isla Margarita. I Like Sightseeing And Historical Aspect. I Am Not Into Hiking Or Water Sports (beaches). Any Ideas Would Be Great.

I'm All Excited To Be Going To New Ports. Any Suggestions For Barbados, Dominica, Curacao And Isla Margarita. I Like Sightseeing And Historical Aspect. I Am Not Into Hiking Or Water Sports (beaches). Any Ideas Would Be Great.

Although I am not familiar with those ports if you go to the Ports of Call board and search for those ports there is all sorts of info there. Sometimes people give reviews of the excursions at each one of those islands.

Marilyn

I would suggest first printing your itinerary, assuming you have a cruise booked, and then looking on the prots section for overviews of each port. I would then look a variety of travel web sites such as frommers (http://www.frommers.com) to get additional information. You can also use google to search for each of the ports and browse the sites listed.

If you dont have a cruise booked, I would start by looking at all of the islands to see what tickles your fancy. The itineraries are really in three areas, East, West, and Southern.

The walk from the ship to transportation in Isla Margarita is a long walk..Check with the tour office and see if they give help to phycially challenged seniors on tours. On the Sea we got our bus stickers the night before the tour so we could take our time getting to the buses.

Hi- We did that itinerary in 2005. In Curacao we did the Curacao Highlights. It was a good trip around Willemstad (by bus with a guide) with several stops at: the Museum, Jan Thiel (good views), and the Curacao Liqueur Factory which is an old landhouse. We later (on our own) shopped in Willemstad and photographed the beautiful buildings.

We took the Restinga Lagoon trip and Zoo visit in Isla Margarita- small boats (6 passengers) for the lagoon trip.

In Barbados, we took the Francia Plantation trip, which was ok- interesting place, but fairly long bus ride- we did get to see quite a bit of Barbados.

In Dominica, we took the Layou Valley tour, which was on very narrow roads- we had a good guide and driver, but it sure was an adventurous van ride!

If you'd like any details about these tours, please ask.

In Barbados, we and another couple hired a taxi driver who seemed to be personable and knowledgable for a private tour of the island which we enjoyed. He also stopped while we did a tour of a cave. The cave used a tram or something (can't remember now) for transport through the cave system, we didn't walk it.

I'll be on the Crown going to Barbados with my 75 and 77 year old parents. My mother wanted me to go on a 4 WD Safari with her - she wants to see the monkeys!

We took that tour two years ago, DH wanted to see the monkeys also. Sorry to say, we got to see only one (1) monkey in a cage along side of the road, and one (1) baby monkey at the park where they are supposed to be. Said they changed the feeding times so we now refer it to the Monkeyless Monkey Adventure.

We did get to see a good part of Barbados on this tour, but would rather have done something else since the monkeys were the main thing we went for.

Best of luck, I hope the monkeys are back by the time you take the tour. Otherwise it is a bit of a bumpy ride to an enclosed zoo and a tour of the island.

Archived