Coco Cay

pfd104

My sisters, 5 of us, and our mom, than 70, took a cruise together, last year. We went in pairs snorkeling. Those that went first did see more than the later groups. I am sure it was due to all the people. Mom didn't go snorkeling. She has never been much for going into the water, but loves the beach. We all had books and enjoyed the quiet time. Two of the sisters rented a wave runner. You can parasail. It is tandum and has a 350 pound limit. I did see massages given under a tree. Not sure if they were prebooked on the ship or not. There is a small "straw market" that is cash only.

It is tendered and runs about every 20 minutes.

It is just a nice, relaxing beach day. Get off early and find a nice spot that has a hammock and some shade. You will be thankful for that as the day goes on. RCCL does a lunch spread and there is also a small bar area. We usually go either early morning or late afternoon. Enjoy!

The ship does not doc. You are tendered in. The tender we had held two levels of passengers and easily held over 50 passengers. Easy access on and off the tender, so that should hold no problems for your party. The tender runs back & forth to the ship throughout the day, so you can come and go as you please. But as mentioned earlier, get to the beach as early as possible to get your selected spot.

We were there the last week of Sept. 2005 and the jelly fish were really bad. We were told it was their mating season. We were also told that these type of jelly fish do not sting. Oh yes they do... We were not stung, but several other swimmers were repeatedly stung. So we decided to get out of the water and enjoy the beach. They do have a first aid stand where you can get vinegar to pour on jelly fish stings. This is not a down fall of the island...it is just a fact...things happen when we swim with the fishies...

By the way...the ocean floor is rocky, so bring some aqua shoes.

RCCL provided an excellent beach BBQ. Like on the Lido deck...food is not lacking. The picnic tables are under cover, so this will allow you a break from the sun. This is a very relaxing day on the beach. You will have an awesome time. The shame would be in missing it...

Enjoy your day at Coco Cay~~~:cool:~~~:cool:

Coco Cay is an incredible way to spend the day! We had no jellyfish when we were there in August--and you can choose to make your day just as action packed or laid back as you like. We swam, ate, looked at the iguanas, did the big inflatable slide, laid in the hammocks, laid in the lounge chairs, shopped, the girls had their hair braided, and the guys did the waverunner excursion--keep in mind if you're interested in the waverunners, they are a guided tour on Coco Cay--so you're not allowed to go off on your own, but the guys loved it! We had such a good time that we were sad to leave.

Have a great time!

I just got back from Coco Cay (was there Tuesday). The island is "owned" by RCI and almost everything there is either free, or goes on your seapass, except purchases at the Star market which are cash only.

There's lots to do, but everything more or less revolves around the beach and the water: waverunners, parasailing, snorkeling, sea kayak, etc.

The jellyfish were bad, I suppose. We got off the ship early and walked the beach WAY around to the right (as suggested on cruise critic) and got to a relatively undisturbed section of beach. this allowed us to see the jellyfish much easier than where everyone else was stirring up the sand. It was fairly easy to seem the jellyfish and just "dodge" them.

I strongly advise you to look into a new suncreen that has jellyfish protection in it. I had some and the jellyfish were no problem for me while others got stung anywhere from small stings to nasty ones that made their whole shoulder go numb.

Now with the sunscreen on, I didnt try and pick a fight with a jellyfish but if I happened to rub up against one it didnt sting me.

Some felt the jellyfish ruined the port, but I disagree. Even if you dont ever get in the water, its a great beach day, and you can lay in a hammock or beach chair all day if you want.

It's hard to imagine anything that would ruin a day on CocoCay! My wife & I have loved every stop.

A few years ago the Majesty got caught by a suprise storm. The waves picked up, as did the wind, and the temps dropped. They were forced to leave many passengers and crew on the island overnight while they circled. Crew risked the tender transfers and brought over provisions, blankets, sweatshirts from the shops, etc. It was basically a giant beach party all night long. Bad weather or not, I would have loved to have been there!

Archived