Overspray in New Jersey

jennybabee

We just got off the Explorer that left 09/17 and we had heavy overspray on our car after we washed all the dirt off. We were not happy with the cruise to begin with and this put us over the top. Will never sail out of NJ Again !! Trying to get ahold of someone on the phone now

JB

You said you didn't like the cruise...why is that? We sailed out of NJ and the ONLY thing that I could complain about was the rockiness coming back in the last day at sea (it was also a teeny bit rocky going out).

Everything else was TERRIFIC so I'm SHOCKED :eek: that you didn't enjoy it. I'd LOVE to hear why you didn't.

We just got off the Explorer that left 09/17 and we had heavy overspray on our car after we washed all the dirt off. We were not happy with the cruise to begin with and this put us over the top. Will never sail out of NJ Again !! Trying to get ahold of someone on the phone now

We were on the same cruise and had a wonderful time! Our only negative was that the beds were terrible ( which they are in the process of changing) and it was too short. We had a lot of dirt on our car and DH is taking it to the carwash today.We did have it covered but it blew off sometime during the week. We did wash a little section by hand and nothing permanent seems to be there.

I would also like to know what you didn't like about the cruise. It was our 10th, but the first on RCCL and we LOVED IT!

Ok, I give up, what kind of overspray?:confused:

There is a drydock facility right there near where you park for the Explorer, previous cruisers have mentioned an overspray, though the color varies which has been on their cars upon return from their cruisers, it has been described as a gritty coating on the car. I have heard of no problems with this since about June until this poster. I was on the same cruise and though it was filthy nothing seems to be permanent but hubby is having in washed today just to make sure. We did have a cover on ours which blew off sometime during the week.

Ok, I give up, what kind of overspray?:confused:

The shipyard next to the terminal has had a problem with their paint overspray getting on vehicle parked in the lot next door. There have been numerous threads about this with the contact info given. It seems that the shipyard will take care of the cleanup if you give them a call.

To answer what we did not like about the cruise

1) ship was way run down to us compared to the Mariner that is just 4 yrs older.

2) food was not very good , even in the dining room

3) bermuda's transportation ferries were a pain and not well thought out for so many people

4) so called "night entertainment" on the dock in bermuda was not good at all.

5) we have a crappy state room attendent, had to beg for extra towels and tissues

We talked to quite a few people on the trip that had the same comments to make about the ship.

AND OF COURSE THE OVER SPRAY TOPPED IT ALL OFF

That overspray issue is just nasty! I can't believe that it continues to happen! There is no freaking way I'd park my car there. Torpeedo - you are doing the right thing!

I'd say better hold your breath when you get out of your car - think about the air, YUCK! Wonder why you really don't hear about this kind of issue from other ports that have drydock facilities? Is this particular one managed by dunces or something?

SeaBreezy

It amazes me that with the millions in profit that Rccl makes that they don't have a protected parking garage.Same problem on the 9/8 explorer cruise.The same problem,same week last year on Voyager.The drydock ship yard was there long before RCCl,so as far as i'm concerned the problem lies with RCCl.I'll either fly to another RCCL port or use manhatten or Red hook,brooklyn for another line but i will never go out of cape liberty again until a garage is built.

I'll either fly to another RCCL port or use manhatten or Red hook,brooklyn for another line but i will never go out of cape liberty again until a garage is built.

Ditto glen. Our car got hit last year with the overspray. The drydock took care of us, however, it is not worth sailing out of that port specifically because of that.

Next year, we've opted for the Manhattan option.

Howard

It amazes me that with the millions in profit that Rccl makes that they don't have a protected parking garage.Same problem on the 9/8 explorer cruise.The same problem,same week last year on Voyager.The drydock ship yard was there long before RCCl,so as far as i'm concerned the problem lies with RCCl.I'll either fly to another RCCL port or use manhatten or Red hook,brooklyn for another line but i will never go out of cape liberty again until a garage is built.

We bought a cheap car cover (20$) and we ended up parked very close to the drydock facility, no problems. I would definitely cruise from there again. I would not give up the Explorer because of the overspray. 20$ was worth the peace of mind and a clean car. This problem has been talked about on these boards for a long time. I was really surprised that more people didnt have covers. We were the only ones that we could see that did it.

Bayonne embarkation and debarkation has always been a breeze for us. We have always used a reliable car service for transportation. From where we live the total cost with tips to and from Bayonne was $200. When you consider it's $75 for parking for a 5 day cruise (we do 7 days so that's 105) plus tolls/tips and car cover--the price is comparable.

The car service that transports us told us Bayonne is a cinch to get in and out of compared to NYC. But that was their opinion.

We are booked to sail out of NJ Oct 20th.....

We have an SUV that I would never be able to cover alone and husband is disabled. Any suggestions on where to attempt to park to be less likely to have overspray reach our vehicle?

Do you have handicapped parking permit? Then you will be closest to the terminal which is farthest from the drydock area. Your other solution would be to ask for help from either one of the parking people or another passenger to cover the car. I can't imagine anyone refusing your plea for help.

Sue

It was my parents car. They are going to call tommorrow and see what the drydock has to say. Thanks for the numbers that I got on this website !!

So sorry you family's car was sprayed. Hope you can reach them to take care of the problem.

We are booked next year and after reading all the issues with this problem of overspray, decided we are going to do the park/sleep/cruise thing and leave our car at the hotel. The hotel will drive you to the ship.

We are going in Feb. 08 and thinking that they will not be spraying anything in the winter???? But, in case they are what is the park/sleep/cruise package?? How much is it now and what hotel do they use??? We may consider going in from the Pittsburgh area the day before and do the same...we are a group of about 17 people. Thanks in advance for your info.

Judi

Archived