Sky Suite on Mercury, please help??

mlmagic

Hello,

Was hoping to get some info on the sky suites on the mercury...specifically, do they have pillow-top mattresses in the cabins? This is really important, my Mom will be coming with me and she is older, needs a good bed. Also, what about the butler service, is it really worth it?? We are wanting to take the RT seattle pacific coast trip, perfect getaway for my Mom and I...Any help and details about these cabins would be so much appreciated, We were also looking into the concierge class, but the SS seem bigger. I am new to celebrity:)

~Lysa

We were in SS 1218 on an Alaskan itinerary in May. If you're going to pull the trigger on a Sky Suite, choose the Sky Deck - the balconies are much larger than the ones on the Penthouse Deck, although they're not terribly private.

Our bed was the standard two twin beds pushed together to make a king. These aren't pillow top mattresses, and according to a friend who just got off Mercury yesterday this hasn't changed. We had an eggcrate topper placed on the mattress, and the bed was reasonably comfortable.

Our butler was really great, but I'm not sure if I'd pay a lot of extra cash for the service. One nifty perk is having dinner served course-by-course (from the dining room menu) in your stateroom by your butler, but we only opted for this once. Your butler will also serve an afternoon tea consisting of finger sandwiches, cakes and cookies. Again, it's a decent service but we could easily live without it. Really, the only reason we chose the SS was for the large, wide-open balcony - great for the Alaskan and Inside Passage scenery. We spent an awful lot of time on that balcony.

We were in SS 1218 on an Alaskan itinerary in May. If you're going to pull the trigger on a Sky Suite, choose the Sky Deck - the balconies are much larger than the ones on the Penthouse Deck, although they're not terribly private.

Our bed was the standard two twin beds pushed together to make a king. These aren't pillow top mattresses, and according to a friend who just got off Mercury yesterday this hasn't changed. We had an eggcrate topper placed on the mattress, and the bed was reasonably comfortable.

Our butler was really great, but I'm not sure if I'd pay a lot of extra cash for the service. One nifty perk is having dinner served course-by-course (from the dining room menu) in your stateroom by your butler, but we only opted for this once. Your butler will also serve an afternoon tea consisting of finger sandwiches, cakes and cookies. Again, it's a decent service but we could easily live without it. Really, the only reason we chose the SS was for the large, wide-open balcony - great for the Alaskan and Inside Passage scenery. We spent an awful lot of time on that balcony.

Thank you so much for your reply. I have booked Sky deck cabin #1212, with that HUGE balcony. My Mom will be with me, it is her first cruise, so I want to have more room, the butler is great, but I didn't really book it for that per sey...Is the butler obtrusive?? Always knocking on your door?? Just curios to know what he did for you exactly?? Thanks again

Lysa

No pillow top mattresses on the Mercury. And as for the butlers, I've found them to be rather lacking on Mercury. Our best butlers have been on Summit and Millennium, but the butlers on Mercury have been not so great. Depending on the butler, you'll be lucky to see them. If you have a good one, no, they are not intrusive, but seem to have a knack when they're needed.

No pillow top mattresses on the Mercury. And as for the butlers, I've found them to be rather lacking on Mercury. Our best butlers have been on Summit and Millennium, but the butlers on Mercury have been not so great. Depending on the butler, you'll be lucky to see them. If you have a good one, no, they are not intrusive, but seem to have a knack when they're needed.

Well Thanks...I will just hope for a good one, with it being my first X cruise, I probably won't know the difference:)

Lysal

Well Thanks...I will just hope for a good one, with it being my first X cruise, I probably won't know the difference:)

Lysal

Our butler was the very personable Elias from India. He really went to great lengths to ensure that we were taken care of, and I'd expect that you'll be in good hands if he's tending to the same staterooms during your cruise. For example, after the second day of the cruise he observed that we had a fondness for americanos from the Cova Cafe, and would deliver them to our cabin around mid-afternoon without asking (by the way, there was no charge for the coffees from Cova). He wasn't obstrusive at all; just very helpful and we truly appreciated his service. It was humorous when we'd meet him in the hallway on our way back to our stateroom with a glass of juice or a cup of coffee in hand. He would suddenly put on a sullen face and mock scold us for not calling him to get it for us.

Cabin 1212 is a good choice. If you look at the deck plan, you'll see the angled cutout of the balcony. I think this is preferable to the completely square balcony, as it affords you a better view forward.

Our butler was the very personable Elias from India. He really went to great lengths to ensure that we were taken care of, and I'd expect that you'll be in good hands if he's tending to the same staterooms during your cruise. For example, after the second day of the cruise he observed that we had a fondness for americanos from the Cova Cafe, and would deliver them to our cabin around mid-afternoon without asking (by the way, there was no charge for the coffees from Cova). He wasn't obstrusive at all; just very helpful and we truly appreciated his service. It was humorous when we'd meet him in the hallway on our way back to our stateroom with a glass of juice or a cup of coffee in hand. He would suddenly put on a sullen face and mock scold us for not calling him to get it for us.

Cabin 1212 is a good choice. If you look at the deck plan, you'll see the angled cutout of the balcony. I think this is preferable to the completely square balcony, as it affords you a better view forward.

Davey thank you so much...I picked that SS from seeing it on webshots pics, I could see that you have that nice angle to give fuller view, the other one's although big, seemed like you were looking through a tunnel, so thanks for letting me know I picked good. I really try to do my research before I book, it can really make a difference! One more ?? for you, since you have done a SS, is how are the beds?? The X site advertises pillow-top, I sure hope they are:confused: Thanks again...

Lysa

Well, I have issues with my neck and upper back that a crappy bed will aggravate, leaving me fairly miserable the next day. I certainly didn't have any problems sleeping in until well after noon on sea days while on Merc, so I'd say the beds are comfy enough. Just remember to ask for that eggcrate topper.

I've heard that X was in the process of upgrading their bedding to more or less match the standard that HAL set, but I don't know how far along they are with that. I don't think the Mercury has seen these upgrades yet, though.

Honestly, the only thing I remember being an annoyance about the bed was that inevitable self-expanding gap between the two mattresses.

And don't forget to remind your mum to take advantage of the complimentary use of the thalasotherapy pool afforded to suite passengers. :D

Well, I have issues with my neck and upper back that a crappy bed will aggravate, leaving me fairly miserable the next day. I certainly didn't have any problems sleeping in until well after noon on sea days while on Merc, so I'd say the beds are comfy enough. Just remember to ask for that eggcrate topper.

I've heard that X was in the process of upgrading their bedding to more or less match the standard that HAL set, but I don't know how far along they are with that. I don't think the Mercury has seen these upgrades yet, though.

Honestly, the only thing I remember being an annoyance about the bed was that inevitable self-expanding gap between the two mattresses.

And don't forget to remind your mum to take advantage of the complimentary use of the thalasotherapy pool afforded to suite passengers. :D

Thanks again Davey...you are so kind:) This whole getaway is really for my sweet Mom. She was recently

diagnosed with a lung disease and I do not know how long I will have with her. I am counting on "The Big Man" to get her on that ship in sept 2007, that is when we go, I want her to feel special, and enjoy all of it, the butler, the spa, the service, etc. I have read some unpleasant things about Mercury, but as on other cruises I have been on, it's all a matter of each person's tastes, etc. I will be countin' on X to do their job. Thanks for the info, was told that Mercury would be in drydock April 2007, so maybe they will re-do beds then.:) This one's for you Mom...

Archived