Barge Cruise - France

katiekatie

Need help deciding which barge to book for a trip thru the wine country in France.

Which one(s) are considered to be 'top notch' for accomodations, food and wine?

We are trying to get a small group of friends to join us - and am thinking a barge that could hold at least 20 people would be just about right.

Please help with your experience.

We haven't been on a barge trip recently ( five years ago was the last time), but then all barges were basically the same size. We went on the French Country Waterways Princess which only held eight passengers, so the cabins were wonderful. I think that if you go on one with twenty people, you will have very tiny cabins and a very crowded dining area. I may be wrong, but perhaps you should check on that. French Country Waterways is wonderful--the crew was amazing and the food so outstanding. Have a great trip--it is a really fun way to travel.

Need help deciding which barge to book for a trip thru the wine country in France.

Which one(s) are considered to be 'top notch' for accomodations, food and wine?

We are trying to get a small group of friends to join us - and am thinking a barge that could hold at least 20 people would be just about right.

Please help with your experience.

There have been a couple of posts regarding barge cruises. You may have already read them but if not here are some links.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=368157&highlight=barge

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=368157&highlight=barge

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=237839&highlight=barge

I second Memlin's comments regarding FCW. We went on the Esprit four years ago, and it was a magnificent trip. The Esprit holds the largest number of passengers at 18. If you wanted more people to go then I think you'd have to go with one of the other companies that have larger boats but then the quality just won't be the same. BTW, the Esprit has very tiny staterooms, but the overall experience was so fabulous, we could easily overlook the tight quarters. :)

:) Thanks everyone for the input on your barge experience. :) You comments are so noted on FCW and I will check them out.

I just found a book called Great River Cruises - Europe and The Nile by Insight Guides and I am now learning the difference between barge vs. river, etc. Is there a book out there that just addresses barge cruises? The section in the book I have is very small since the main focus is on river cruises.

Katie

Archived