Millennium - Live

excitedofharpenden

A quick report from the ship. We are at sea today on our way down to Santorini. Ship’s log at 12 noon, the depth of sea is 8061 feet, the wind 30 knots gusting to 65 and the weather is thundery showers.

We joined Millennium last Saturday in Venice with sunny skies and nice temperatures. Not too hot. Venice really is as wonderful as it looks in pictures, but boy it gets busy! We’d just finished a fantastic 8 day pre-cruise tour of Italy taking in Rome, Siena, Florence and Como and the busy schedule was both enjoyable and enlightening to someone who has never been to Italy. Dubrovnik yesterday was beautiful. If you feel up to it you must walk around the city walls for some spectacular views. I did the whole thing, but you can just do sections if you want.

Embarkation was painless. It is good to be back on a Celebrity ship again! This is my first time on an M-Class ship and so far I am VERY impressed. Once again the reports of a tatty old rust bucket are unfounded (at least to my eyes). The ship looks in fine order. No nasty smells around that I have noticed either. The new mattress and bedding is very nice too and comfortable. I’m in inside cabin 7097. This is my first time in an inside and I would have no hesitation in staying in one again. Plenty of space to hang clothes and a good sized shower. I miss the balcony somewhat, but the location makes it easy to get out on deck and most importantly, I am on the ship! I haven’t decided whether I like the M-Class more than Galaxy or Mercury. I’ll give it a few days. I am finding it more difficult to navigate, but that is probably from not being familiar with the layout yet. One area that I do prefer on Galaxy and Mercury is the T-Pool. Too busy on this ship for my liking. It feels much more like a private spa on the smaller ships. I really hope they don’t dispense with the T-Pool on Galaxy and Mercury if they do make them over a la Century.

The weather is stormy at the moment. Take a look at the Celebrity at Sea webcam. Rain, wind and pretty rough seas. Millie is handling it fine.

Just a word on bringing wine aboard. I bought a couple of bottles whilst in the Chianti wine region and was able to bring/sneak/smuggle (delete as appropriate) it on with no problems. Others in our group similarly had no problems.

That’s it for now. I’ll do a fuller review when I’m home, but to sum up I love this ship and crew and am looking forward to the rest of the ports of call.

Phil

Archived