Has anyone ever cancelled a cruise using cruise insurance when not sick? (need advice

Ocruise

Hi everyone. I have a question. Has anyone ever changed their mind about a cruise, gotten a note from thier doctor and cancelled a cruise vacation in order to get their money back?

Here is our dilemma, we have paid for our Pride of Aloha Hawaiian Cruise that's comng up in 6 weeks. Now we have been reading about MAJOR problems with this boat. (Keep in mind that this is an all-American crew, not a crew from many foreign nations like most of our cruises. I'm not making any negative comments about work ethics, but it just seems that this American crew is unable to cope with this difficult job. We all know how hard a crew works on a cruise ship.). Now from what we have read, the service is AWFUL, real cruise from hell material. (dirty linens, awful buffet food, 3 hour wait for dinner in dining room, staff that can't handle job, awful service).

We spent a lot of money on this vacation and I did purchase good travel insurance. I'm sure I could get a doctor to write a note that I have an ear infection & get a refund. Has anyone ever done this?
I just don't want to fly 12 hours on a plane for a cruise that is going to be awful. I'd rather reschedule that week for a different cruise.

I would feel bad about doing this but i've heard some really bad comments about this ship. What do you think?

Thanks for any feedback,
Marina

I've read the review by Anne Campbell chief writer for another major website, and it is not near as bad as what you have apparently read. She's usually pretty reliable. Do I think you may see a difference? Yes. Do I expect it to be that bad? No. Three hour wait for dinner? Sounds like a gross exageration. If you've been around these boards more than a week you surely know how some people love to exagerate. Especially in the negative. Hawaii is beautifu. I'm no a fan of freestyle but I would probably still go. As for the doctor that would falsify your health condition? I would never return to him/her again. Where are the ethics in that?

Personally, I believe it would be considered fraud if you got caught. I don't think any ethical doctor would write such a note for you. Doesn't mean you can't try -- just be aware of the consequences. I know it's small potatoes in the grand scheme of things, but it's things like this that drive insurance rates up for everyone else.

I don't really know much about the situtation with Pride of Aloha. If I were in your shoes I would proceed with the trip and try to make the best of things. It would still be better than being at work, and maybe by then, things will be better, once the crew has had a few more voyages under its belt for practice.

I understand about being nervous about all the bad reviews of the Pride of Aloha. The one thing that bothers me about your post is that you are committing fraud. As bad as the reviews may be, it's based on individual responses. If you go to any CC board, you can probably find a negative review about something. I'm sailing on the Carnival Triumph in 3 weeks, and there was a bad review of that ship posted yesterday. Will that affect my cruise? No. I will have a good time regardless of what else happens on that ship. I think you can do the same thing--it's Hawaii!!

[b][color=black]If this isn't a troll.. it sounds like one. It is on every cruise lines board and is reprehensible. What you are discussing is a felony...for a potential dissapointment. I can not imagine selling my ethics and potentially my freedom so cheaply.[/color][/b]

[b][color=black]What is the maximum score on the selfish child meter these days?[/color][/b]

I think you'd just be asking for trouble, Marina. It's one of the chances you take when you book a cruise on a "new" (formerly NCL Sky), "untested" ship. If you buy a new car and get car insurance, and just don't "like" the car, your insurance company isn't going to give a rip. You can only cancel for covered reasons, and may be setting yourself up for a lawsuit if you do it fraudulently. Besides, an "earache" is pretty lame.

Fraud is fraud and I'm sure you wouldn't want to contribute to a doctor losing his/her license over changing your mind about a cruise.

There's more to making an insurance claim than just writing a note. You will have to submit all medical forms detailing your illness.

Marina is getting blasted on every board she's posted this same message on.

Ocruise, probably not the best place to post something like this... My ex was a PI for an Insurance company and focused on fraud investigation... people DO get busted for things such as this and there are HEFTY fines and potential jail time (while generally brief, there is the chance...). I would recommend you reconsider this and I cannot believe your doctor would be willing to lose his license over your cruise? That is just crazy.... Sorry for your situation, but you are taking a very risky move here...

Just don't think of the "what if this or that goes wrong" things. You will have a good cruise. Just don't give into the idea of Insurance Fraud, besides, I doubt an ear infection would be serious enough for them to pay a claim.

[font=Fixedsys][color=blue]I have to agree with everyone else. Just go and enjoy the cruise. It can't be that bad. Any doctor who would be willing to go along with what you suggested should have his license revoked. My insurance rates are sky high as it is.[/color][/font]

You are right, doubtful that an ear infection would get you out of it...
I would question any doctor willing to go against his ethics and lie for you... do you really want someone like this taking care of you? Holy Moly... scary thought.

[font=Tahoma][color=red][QUOTE][/color][font=Verdana][color=red]Has anyone ever changed their mind about a cruise, gotten a note from thier doctor[/color][/font][/font]
[font=Tahoma][color=red][font=Verdana][color=red]and cancelled a cruise vacation in order to get their money back[/color]?[/font][/QUOTE][/color][/font]
[font=Book Antiqua][size=3][color=blue][i][b]One morning a woman calls the agent who provided her cruise insurance coverage [/b][/i][/color][/size][/font]
[font=Book Antiqua][size=3][color=blue][i][b]informing the representative that s[/b][/i][/color][/size][/font][font=Book Antiqua][color=blue][size=3][i][b]he is unable to go on her voyage because she is [/b][/i][/size][/color][/font]
[font=Book Antiqua][color=blue][size=3][i][b]not feeling well.[/b][/i]

[i][b]With sincere sympathy the agent inquires "What's the matter?".[/b][/i]

[i][b]"I have a case of anal glaucoma," she says in a weak voice.[/b][/i]

[i][b]The shocked agent blurts out "What the hell is anal glaucoma?" [/b][/i]

[i][b]"I can't see my ass taking that particular cruise!" smirks the client.[/b][/i][/size][/color][/font]

[font=Times New Roman][size=3][color=red][b]:rolleyes: Think [i]that[/i] excuse would work???[/b][/color][/size][/font]

Archived