Need help planning Westbound T.A.

cusyl

Is it better to fly into Gatwick or Heathrow? What is the best and most reasonable transportation from the airport to Southampton? We are arriving two days early so can not partake of the Cunard transfer.

Any suggestions for a hotel in Southampton or Portsmouth that are reasonable? Are there taxis available from the hotels to the port?

On arrival in NYC is there any reasonable hotel in Manhattan? We would just like to spend a couple days there before flying back to Florida.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. :D

On arrival in NYC is there any reasonable hotel in Manhattan? We would just like to spend a couple days there before flying back to Florida.

Stay at a motel in Brooklyn (you're docking at Red Hook, right?) which will seem reasonable compared to Manhattan. From Brooklyn you can walk over the bridge (the one that some my offer to sell you) to Manhattan and then take the subway or bus to any number of great places to visit. My suggestion is to take the M4 bus to the Cloisters in Fort Tryon Park. You can get a great tourist guide map to New York at the Purser's desk.

Have a great time,

Paul

Is it better to fly into Gatwick or Heathrow? What is the best and most reasonable transportation from the airport to Southampton? We are arriving two days early so can not partake of the Cunard transfer.

Any suggestions for a hotel in Southampton or Portsmouth that are reasonable? Are there taxis available from the hotels to the port?

Heathrow. National Express. Hotel: Holiday Inn on Herbert Walker, Soton. A hop skip and a jump to the ship.

Hotels in Manhattan are aplenty. Really need to know when you are traveling.

I DO NOT recommend staying in Brooklyn

Is it better to fly into Gatwick or Heathrow?

It's six of one and half a dozen of the other - for London if you're spending a few nights there first. If you're going to Southampton then there are direct trains from Gatwick but not Heathrow. You might find that flights are substantially cheaper going into Gatwick than Heathrow.

there is a Holiday Inn in Southampton, a short taxi ride from the QM2 berth also the there is an hotel called the De Vere Grand Harbour which is more expensive which is nearby. It depends what you are looking for.

If you fly into Gatwick you can take a train direct to Southampton (about 2 hours) or take the Gatwick Express to London Victoria station and then take a taxi or underground to Waterloo station and then train to Southampton Central - rather complicated. National express buses run direct to Southampton from Heathrow or the Heathrow express runs to London Paddington Station and thence you go to Waterloo.

For traintimes visit http://www.thetrainline.com

Good luck!

Thank you for the ideas. We will be on the May 18th Westbound Voyage.

I am mobility impaired as far as walking any distance so I need to find the easiest way to get about.

I checked with DeVere and they are already full for the dates I need in May. Must be an awesome place :D

Will try the Holiday Inn. We won't be going into London this trip as we have been there several times in the past. My DH wants to go to Portsmouth and see the Mary Rose and the museums, so will just stay over there closer to the ship.

We would like to stay in Manhattan just to get the "flavor" of the Big Apple. We have been there a few times to see the shows and the sights, but it's been a few years. So we would want to be "near the action". LOL

I know it's not cheap in Manhattan.

Any more tips will be appreciated! You guys are awesome and a wealth of knowledge. Thanks.

My DH wants to go to Portsmouth and see the Mary Rose and the museums, so will just stay over there closer to the ship.

If you're planning on visting the Naval museum at Pompey (Portsmouth) then you may be a little disappointed with the Mary Rose, which is little more than a bare husk of a ship. For real and tangible history you can't beat a tour round the HMS Victory. I really wanted to visit the Victory before my wife and I went on our honeymoon on the QM2 last year, sort of an old versus new thing, but it wasn't to be. My Dad was Master at Arms on the Victory in the early 80's and I have a lot of childhood memories of it that I would have liked to have revisited.

I think May time will be the 'open tour' when you get to wander round at your leisure rather than being shephered through the ship in an hour. It's certainly well worth the visit.

I am a native Brooklynite and I would not suggest you stay there! Try rates at the Waldorf-Astoria. At the right time of year, you might be surprised at how reasonable the rates can be. My son and his wife often go to NY for a weekend from Philadelphia and have found very reasonable rates at the Waldorf.

I would have to say Portsmouth and fly to Gatwick.

You can get a train direct from the airport to Portsmouth.

A good hotel choice would be Holiday inn Gunwharf Quays only a ten minute walk from historic dock yard.

A taxi from Portsmouth to Southampton would take about 25 minutes and would cost about £25.00.

Hope this helps.

Archived