Is this Mt. McKinley?????

alaswhales

Hi, I am hoping someone out there can tell me if this picture I took from the airplane after leaving Anchorage in June is indeed Mt. McKinley. Since it was so much taller than any others we saw, I was hoping it was the elusive mountain that we were not lucky enough to see on our day trip to Talkeetna. Thank you for any input!

Alaswhales

b875re2.jpg?phYxgGFBZnFQeShn

This may be a duplicate post, but I just replied and it isn't showing, so I will write again. I copied and pasted the picture to this original post, because my files are too big to fit. When I look, the picture is there. Does this mean that you can't see the picture? If not, can someone please explain to me how to downsize the file so it will fit here? Thank you.

Alaswhales

Yeah, I couldn't get the link to work, either. Yesterday, I was fooling around on Goggle Earth following the path of the Denali National Park Rd. When I came to the area of Mount McKinley, I turned the perspective of the map to Horizontal and voila! there was Denali in all her glory. It's really cool, check it out. Use the pointer over the peak and it shows the height of each mountain.

Eileen

I really want to show this picture so that someone will hopefully be able to tell me if it is McKinley. I was hoping that someone, whether you live in Alaska (as well as Yukon) or visit often, would recognize it. I have studied many pictures of the mountain that others have posted, and it seems to me that the range looks to be the same, but I am no expert. That is why I posted it here. You all had been so helpful to me for my cruise to the Beautiful State, that I know someone will be able to help me now.

Yeah, I couldn't get the link to work, either. Yesterday, I was fooling around on Goggle Earth following the path of the Denali National Park Rd. When I came to the area of Mount McKinley, I turned the perspective of the map to Horizontal and voila! there was Denali in all her glory. It's really cool, check it out. Use the pointer over the peak and it shows the height of each mountain.

Eileen

Heh ... I used Google Earth before my cruise in June to get a feel for the areas the ship would be in. It IS cool to zoom through the mountain valleys pretending to be in a floatplane on a sightseeing trip :)

This may be a duplicate post, but I just replied and it isn't showing, so I will write again. I copied and pasted the picture to this original post, because my files are too big to fit. When I look, the picture is there. Does this mean that you can't see the picture? If not, can someone please explain to me how to downsize the file so it will fit here? Thank you.

Alaswhales

You pobably do need to resize the pic. Or go to one of the free web picture hosting sites (like http://www.webshots.com ), setup an account and upload the picture there. then post a link to it in this thread.

If you want to resize it, you can download a free tool from Google (called Picasa) that is a basic image editor, resizer, cropper, and organizer. It's a pretty good and easy to use free tool (You need to EXPORT a picture in order to resize it in Picasa). You may also want to check to see if the software that came with your digital camera has a basic editor that can resize an image.

On your flight out of Anchorage, were you headed to the lower 48 or were you headed to Fairbanks? If headed to Fairbanks, then that was most likely Denali you saw. If not, there is an equal chance to you saw St. Elias, Wrangell, Mt. Fairweather or Mt. Logan instead. Depends on how long after take off you saw it.

You can also try going to Google, click the "Images" link, then type in a search like: "Denali from the air" or "Mt. St. Elias" and compare the photos to your own.

OK, This is the only way I could get it to work. Sorry, but you will have to go to my site that has a lot of my Alaska pictures on it. Just click below and then you will see the different albums, one of which just has the one picture of what I am hoping to be Mt. McKinley. You can just look at the one and tell me if you think it is or not, or feel free to look at the rest of the pictures of Alaska also. I only have some of the 1000+. I did the google earth and finally got to the mountain range, and it does seem to resemble it. I can't be sure. There is a lot more snow on it in my picture. Also, if it helps, I just watched my video tape and it seems that we came upon this mountain between 20-45 minutes from Anchorage. I can't remember exactly what time we took off. Our flight was a couple of hours late in departing and we just wanted to get on it after spending many hours in the airport. Thanks to all of you who are trying to help me. This is really important to me.

http://photos.yahoo.com/evilhousekeeper

YOU GUYS ARE GREAT!!!!!! Thank you Yukon and dizbuster for the great compliments.!!!!!! You have truly made my day. I have always wanted to be a professional photographer, so I try to get good shots. If you happen to look at the rest of my pictures, I have one of a mom and baby moose at the side of the road in between Whittier and Anchorage right in front of a waterfall that is going to be published in a book and is in the finals for prizes. I am very proud of that shot. It drives my boyfriend crazy that I take so long to get everything in the frame or set up. He just snaps away (most of his get deleted due to a finger in the shot.) LOL

That was one reason I wasn't sure it was Denali, was that the captain didn't say anything. I am wondering if it is because they started showing movies the minute we were in the air, and he didn't want to interrupt the movie................OR, maybe he did, and those of us who had earpieces in for the movie didn't hear him? I am soooo excited. I saw how tall it was, and just kept waiting until we got right there to snap the pic.

I was so excited, I took the picture to work with me again tonight to tell everyone that it is Denali. My boyfriend is still skeptical, saying how can anyone tell the difference in mountains. They all look the same. I said that the info is coming from people who see it all the time, so it would be like someone asking me "is this the Mackinac Bridge" when I live in Michigan and have driven over it several times as well as walked over the 5 mile bridge 2 years ago during the annual labor day walk, in which that is the only day of the year walkers are allowed. Of course I am going to recognize it. I thank you both again for acknowledging that it is. A thank you goes to NancyIL also for the kind post!

I was so excited, I took the picture to work with me again tonight to tell everyone that it is Denali. My boyfriend is still skeptical, saying how can anyone tell the difference in mountains.

Your boyfriend is a flatlander!

-Monte

Your boyfriend is a flatlander!

-Monte

:confused:

I assume that means he knows nothing about mountains, which is true. He doesn't see differences in a lot of things, such as waterfalls, glaciers. He says, once you see one, they are all the same thing. I keep trying to tell him that they all look different. Maybe I would feel the same way about things I am not too passionate about! Oh well, if that is one of his very few flaws, I guess I'll keep him. LOL

Archived