Please, No More Beaches

elou

Sorry, But I'm Excited About Taking The Sun Princess To Some New Islands For Me. Barbados, Isla Margarita, Curacao, And Dominica. I Want To Explore These Islands. I've Tried To Find Out About Some Of These Tours, But Mainly All I Get Is About The Beaches. Sorry, But Again, I Live In Florida And Beaches Are Not Important To Me. Which Tours Would Anyone Suggest To See These Islands For Their Culture And History. Anyone Been To Caribe Territory Or Which Island Tour Show The Best. Hope I Did Not Offend Anyone. I'd Love To Hear From Anyone. Thanks A Million.

Here is a description of our fine day in Barbados

Day – 3 – Barbados

This was a full day. We had arranged for a tour through a local Barbadian company rather than using the Princess Tours for this stop because we particularly wanted to visit Harrison’s Caves that had been highly recommended. It worked out being a terrific decision.

After breakfast in the Horizon Court we debarked, loaded on a shuttle to the Cruise Terminal (filled with tourist shops), and waited for the representative from Boyce’s Tours. After he had loaded a mini-bus with folks off on a tour, he put just the two of us in an air-conditioned taxi with a local Bajan driver and off we went.

The driver was delightful and full of lore, as we seemed to drive all over the island. By the way, the Brits did a jolly good job here—but they did not build a single road anywhere on the island wider than two lanes. Therefore, careful driving is a must and our driver was perfect for two worrywarts.

After much beautiful scenery with plenty of stops for photos, we made our way to Harrison’s Caves. We were shown a short film about the history of the geology of the area and then loaded aboard an electric tram for the trip through the caves.

If you ever get to Barbados, do not miss this site. The stark natural beauty of the caves is awe-inspiring. They have done a great job of lighting special areas and the photo ops are wonderful as you travel 160 feet below the surface. Although the brochure says you are clad in hard hats and slickers, we were not. In fact it adds to the experience to have water from the cave drip on you as you travel through the grottos and see waterfalls and streams that highlight the tour.

From Harrison’s Cave we wended through more of the area. We drove along the sea and up into the heights, finally stopping at Sunbury Plantation, a site over 300 years old. It was very well presented with antique furniture and a pleasant staff. The most surprising thing was the large size of the rooms. That would befit any large house today.

Another wonderful feature of this stop was a cold rum punch that was served to us as guests---wow did it taste perfect.

Next we visited the oldest church on the island, St. John’s Parish Church. It sits on a high crag over 800 feet above the sea. It was built in 1647 – you had to be hardy or have a strong horse to get up to the top of that hill. There is a wonderful old cemetery that contains house-sized crypts, some of which are still in use by old Bajan families. Among the oddities are the graves of an exiled Greek emperor and a grave where the deceased was entombed standing up.

The last area we visited was Gun Hill and the lion sculpture done by British soldiers. This was on another promontory and there was a great view of the Island from this area.

Finally we asked to be dropped off in Bridgetown where we sent a couple of e-mails from an internet café, bought a couple of souvenirs, and then hopped on the shuttle back to the terminal (more small items bought) and the shuttle back to the Grand Princess to end a long day on the island

...To Some New Islands For Me. Barbados, Isla Margarita, Curacao, And Dominica.
It's very easy to visit islands without going to the beaches. I have yet to go to the beach (except an aborted attempt at Princess Cays) and don't miss them. (My dermatologist would croak if I went to a beach.) When we went to Barbados, we took a Princess 4WD excursion that was one of the best we've ever taken. We saw much of the island and had fun and excitement along the way, going into the fields, through rivers, etc. On our last visit to Curacao, we went on a mini-sub ride and saw beautiful fish and underwater formations. Don't let the beach crowd get you down. There are many fun and interesting things to do on the islands without going to a beach.

Sorry, But I'm Excited About Taking The Sun Princess To Some New Islands For Me. Barbados, Isla Margarita, Curacao, And Dominica. I Want To Explore These Islands. I've Tried To Find Out About Some Of These Tours, But Mainly All I Get Is About The Beaches. Sorry, But Again, I Live In Florida And Beaches Are Not Important To Me. Which Tours Would Anyone Suggest To See These Islands For Their Culture And History. Anyone Been To Caribe Territory Or Which Island Tour Show The Best. Hope I Did Not Offend Anyone. I'd Love To Hear From Anyone. Thanks A Million.

When are you going on the SUN? We are doing your itinerary on 10/11/06. There is a roll call with about 50 people for that cruise and roll calls for the weeks following. Take a look at the Roll Call boards. There is always much discussion about what to do on each island and group excursions have developed from there.

Here's a link to our roll call in case 10/11 is your sailing.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=344539

Dan

Hi!

I'm just curious how you're able to capitalize the first letter of every word in your posts. I could never be patient enough to do that! :p I will admit, it does kind of make it harder to read with these ol' eyes. :eek: It seems to run all together for me. :(

I have also taken the Harrison Caves tour in Barbados and loved it. We did the one first thing in the morning then we had lunch at a little restaurant on the water which was also fantastic with very fresh food. When we had finished that we just shopped a bit, looked around and headed back to the ship. It really was a good day and a nice change of pace from all those beaches we usually go to.

Archived