Princess and Half Moon Cay

roe2ship

I have read many great reviews about Half Moon Cay (HAL’s private island) I see that some Carnival ships have this island on their Caribbean itineraries. Since Carnival owns HAL and Princess, anyone know if or why Princess can or can’t add Half Moon Cay to their Caribbean itineraries? I, for one would love to see Princess adding HMC for a change instead of Princess Cays on both their Eastern AND Western Caribbean ports.

I think the reason is that Carnival does not have its own private island.

Holland America does not have any ships in the Caribbean during the summer months, and rather than having the island just sit there, Carnival has been using it. However, I do not believe that Carnival has it on their itinerary during the period when HALs ships return to the Caribbean.

I have read many great reviews about Half Moon Cay (HAL’s private island) I see that some Carnival ships have this island on their Caribbean itineraries. Since Carnival owns HAL and Princess, anyone know if or why Princess can or can’t add Half Moon Cay to their Caribbean itineraries? I, for one would love to see Princess adding HMC for a change instead of Princess Cays on both their Eastern AND Western Caribbean ports.

Roe2ship:

I don't pretend to be an expert, because I'm not, but here is some food for thought:

Carnival, HAL, and Windstar ships all visit Half Moon Cay.

As Mafig posted just before me, the Carnival ships and HAL ships do not visit Half Moon Cay at the same time. Half Moon Cay only has facilities to accommodate up to 5,000 guests a day. Part of the island is designated a wild bird reserve, under the auspices of the Bahamian National Trust. So HAL is limited as to how many ships may anchor at Half Moon Cay at any time. Additionally, all cruise ships visiting HMC must tender in, as there is no pier that can accommodate them.

Holland America does not have any ships in the Caribbean during the summer months, and rather than having the island just sit there, Carnival has been using it. However, I do not believe that Carnival has it on their itinerary during the period when HALs ships return to the Caribbean.
You are probably right that Carnival does not use it when HAL returns to the Caribbean. I do believe that the only Carnival ships using Half Moon Cay in the summer months are maybe one or two and they are 5 day sailings. Princess only has the CB doing Caribbean with the Princess Cays stop, so it's too bad HMC can't be utilized by only one other ship. Since HAL is on my list I guess I can see HMC at that time.

Archived