When is jellyfish season?

vmom

When is jellyfish season?

I read several reviews that talked about how bad the jellyfish were. Is there a time when they are especially bad? Are there certain areas of the Carribean that tends to attract more jellyfish than others?

Jelly fish season is the same as during hurricane season, June 1 - Nov.31.. as the seas are stirred up from the tropical storms and such, the jelly fish get closer to shore. I was in Cococay on Septemeber 10, and they were very very thick all over the swimming areas. I had a floating beach mat and was surrounded by them. :eek:

We were on Coco Cay last week and yes, there were lots of small jelly fish. These are not the Man of War size, they are about 4 to 8 inches in diameter. I took a floating mat out and had no problems. I was stung under the arm, but it really felt like I had just finished shaving and had gotten salt water on my skin. It was nothing like an insect bite or bea sting.

They are harmless creature, and the kids seemed to have a lot of fun picking them up gently out of the water.

I was in Cozumel 2 yrs ago in the middle of April and the Caribbean was bombarded with thimble jelly fish. The typical blue waters that we are used to seeing were black from millions of these jelly fish. They were so mall and when you were bit they itched like a mosquito bite. The bites looked worse on your skin then they felt.

Archived