Help, please! Possible to visit Rio from Cabo Frio in one day?

mlbcruiser

We are looking at a cruise that stops at Cabo Frio, Brazil. The itinerary is listed like this: "Rio de Janeiro (Cabo Frio)". This seems a bit misleading. Perhaps they are listing the state, not the city?

The Cabo Frio I know about is on the water - about 90 miles from Rio. Does anyone know if ships offer shore excursions to Rio from there or we could easily find transportation on our own? We often do independent tours and don't usually go through the ship, but for 90 miles it seems kind of risky. Since the ship visits several beachy areas, we won't miss not spending time in Cabo Frio.

Our ship would arrive in Cabo Frio at 8 a.m. & depart at 8 p.m. Although we only stop for one day there, I am DYING to visit Rio! (I wish that was our departure port but it isn't.) I at least just want to get a glimpse of Rio and possibly visit Sugarloaf and/or ride the cable car up to Corcovado. Yes, I know clouds might ruin it and we have to go in Jan., which gets a lot of rain, but there's no way around it for us. (In case anyone is wondering, this is the only cruise that visits Brazil when we have enough time off and that we can afford!)

Thanks for any info!

Archived