Homeschoolers Out There?

Mom75

I am wondering if during the typical school year there are still full programs available for children on RCCL.

If most of the kids are in school, will my kids be the only ones in the kids programs/will there be other kids to play with?

Also wondering if any homeschooling families that go on cruises are able to arrange tours of the boat or educational opportunities on the ship.

If you homeschool, please share your thoughts.

Thanks

Mar....

This will be our first cruise too (haven't even made up our mind yet). I don't know, but would love to see the answers to your questions. I just didn't want you to think you were the only homeschool family wanting to cruise. We are not very interested in the party options offered, but love the opportunities to get a glimpse of some other countries and cultures, and to spend time relaxing togather.

We are looking at the potential of a Sept. 2007 cruise, possibly to Costa Maya for the ruins and a few other places. Keeping the cost affordable is our biggest barrier.

My children will be 11, 9, 6, and 4 by then. If the cost is just too high, we might consider cruising without them in late Aug. when they can stay with grandparents for a week. They offered to watch them, and it will be our 15th anniversary.

I did read that the galley tours are no longer occuring because of higher security.

You'll be surprised with how many children cruise all throughout the year, not just during "official" school breaks. We always go on vacation the week after Thanksgiving and there are always plenty of children that are on vacation too. You kids will be in smaller groups, but RCCL will have the kids program running.

Have fun!

Wow, just when you thought they thought of everything.... check this out: www.homeschoolontheseas.com

Thank you for this link. Currently we are considering a cruise for dh and I in spring of 2007 and then a family cruise (educational) in 2008. This site had two possiblities, but no prices.

I ran across this link today, and was coming here to share it with you. http://www.teachereducationalcruises.com/HomeSchoolers.html I noticed that the prices were slightly higher than if you just booked through Carnival. For 3 people the $100 credit would offset the cost, but with more in a cabin you would be loosing money.

We just took everyone to Disneyworld this Sept, so we're thinking it might not be good to take two expensive trips two years in a row. This is also our 15th Anniversary, so a cruise for two would be nice.

A google search on "homeschool cruise" turned up quite a bit, but the link you provided had better dates and destinations for us.

Well that www.TeacherEducationalCruise seems to be for Teachers/Homeschool parents, where the www.homeschoolontheseas.com cruise provides lessons for our children and is included in the price...... which really kills 3 birds with one stone.

Our children get an education, they get a vacation and MOST IMPORTANTLY WE GET A VACATION.

ANd I just got added to the Homeschool on the seas emailing list, and their latest bulletin has prices coming out next month for two of their next cruises.....

I think we may wait to decide to book till those prices come out.... although I have never been to Bermuda, ....so many decisions.......

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Everyone,

We've homeschooled our oldest DD(just turned 11), for 3 years. We have 2 younger DD's(3,4)and will be homeschooling them as well. We sailed on the NCL Dawn last December(10th-21st), and had a great time. We will be on NCL Spirit this December for 11 nights and are anxiously counting the days. It's great to study a place in a book, but nothing comes close to actually seeing it in person. Happy cruising. Janice

my daughter is homeschooling our 7 year old dgd and also has a almost 4 year old dgs at home. This soundsreally neat, esp to Bermuda from nj so there is no airfare involved. But the date- September- Isn't that a big time possibility of hurricanes? Grammy

Yes, September is the height of hurricane season. Personally, it wouldn't stop me. But we plan to wait til late Oct. or early Nov. for our family, simply so that the rates are cheaper, and that would be towards the end of the season. You might want to do some reading on the Hurricane Season 2006 board if you have concerns.

We had the same concerns about the hurricane season. I checked and the stats show it is VERY infrequent that hurricanes hit Bermuda...... and rates (I think) are just as cheap in Sept than Oct or Nov.

Doesnt the Travel Insurance cover this anyway? And/or what does the cruise line, RCL, do if they cancel cause of weather?

As far as the Homeschool cruise, we love interacting while teaching with our kids and this seems like a great way to do it. They have something called a family QUEST that you do on the island. Has anyone booked with them yet?

Mar

• 4 weeks later...

I am wondering if during the typical school year there are still full programs available for children on RCCL.

If most of the kids are in school, will my kids be the only ones in the kids programs/will there be other kids to play with?

Also wondering if any homeschooling families that go on cruises are able to arrange tours of the boat or educational opportunities on the ship.

If you homeschool, please share your thoughts.

Thanks

Mar....

RCI attracts lots of families. However, not all the kids on the ship will be home schooled. Many schools have a year round program, meaning that at any time, 25% of the students are "off tract". Also, some schools start early (in August) and the kids get a fall vacation in October. Finally, some parents will take their kids out of school for a family vacation.

During a traditional school year, depending on the size of the ship, you can expect to find 100 - 200 kids on board an RCI ship. So yes, the kids program is offered year round.

As for tours, it is not what you are hoping to know what is important, but who you know. If you want a tour, I suggest you move next door to the captain or the CEO. After Sept 11, 2001 ship tours are very hard to get (but they are possible). On the Navigator in Aug 2004 the kids were given an unannounced tour of the bridge. I guess none of the kids looked like terrorists.

:) I'm so glad soembody brought this up! I did hs my son 2 yrs ago, but I had a very fussy newborn, so it did not work out for us. I plan on hs dd when she is old enough. How wonderful that a cruise line offers something to hs families! I agree with what another said...you cna have book knowledge, but to experience it first hand is awesome!

We are cruising Jan 22. We are pulling son out of school. I hope as well that there will be other children for him & his sister in their programs!

Archived