Transfers La Guardia to NYC pier

jazzsea

Any suggestions on transfers from LaGuardia to the NYC pier on October 20? What is the approximate taxi fare for two passengers with "cruise" luggage? Is it better to request the transfer directly from Holland America? We arrive on the 20th and fly home when the ship disembarks on October 30?

Arrival flight is 11:30 AM and departing flight is 2:45 PM.

Just how cold can we expect it to be?

Carol,

It will definitely be fall in NYC on October 20th but it will not be "that" cold. You will not want to be in shorts. You will want a jacket. There are websites that have average year round temperatures for any given month somewhere.

As far as getting from LGA to NYC, there will be plenty of cabs around at both places for the trip in either direction. I am sorry that I dont know the exact fare but they do have a set rate for cabs from the airport. I am sure it is less than $40, maybe around $30. That is NOT per person, but per taxi. There are probably shuttles available also, you should check online for them. There are also "Town Cars" which are mini-limo's. They are a little costlier than taxis, but have bigger trunks and more luggage space. They also have set rates. Again, you can check them online.

I would recommend checking the town car rates and then check HAL's rate and picking the cheaper one. HAL will be the most convenient but not necessarily the better deal.

Lastly, it is not that far of a ride from LGA to the piers and should take less than 45 minutes BUT you never know what the traffic will be like until it's too late.

KK - that's odd that HAL refused you the transfers as we also booked our own air (no hotel) and I had our TA book the transfers for us through HAL. It was a lot more expensive than in Florida - we are Canadians and it was $54.00 each for each trip. As I said expensive but for us better than taking a cab.

Last year we had used a Limo service from Miami to FLL and it was great. Have the name of the Limo company if you ever want it. I contacted them to see if they had a Limo service in NY but they don't, however, they told us who to call. Wow! they were very expensive and the rate was for a minimum of 3 hours - this was for a Town Car.

If we fly into FLL we always take a taxi.

I'll check with HAL today to find out the cost of their transfers. I know they will let us purchase transfers as long as we give them our flight details. I'll also check Limo prices and post the results. Thanks for all the info.

You really can just take a cab. We use a car service because we live an hour north of the airport and have 6 people and luggage.

But for two people to the pier there is no reason why you cant just take a cab. I would think it is both faster and easier.

Allow plenty of time. You can check with the NY port authority website to see how many ships are in port that day.The traffic can be absolutely horrific so I would allow sufficient time and not plan on cutting it close.

If you are at a hotel they can arrange a car for you.

Carol:

We used Hal transfers in May, this was from Newark (we also bought Hal air) and couldn't have been more pleased. It did not take longer than 10 minutes for the rep to show up at the bagage department. He had to wait for another couple whose flight had arrived, but they had not yet been located. From arrival to getting into the van took no more than half an hour. It was a long drive with construction and detours and I would hate to think how much a taxi would have cost.

I generally arrange my own air etc, but this - involving a flight back from Europe - using Hal proved to the the better choice.

Carol,

You will be fine taking a cab from LGA. They are plentiful. There are also taxi vans around if excessive luggage is an issue. Remember that yellow cab fares are NOT per person, they are per trip, per the meter or preset fare.

After the cruise there will be cabs all over the place down at the piers. There will also be people all over the place trying to get a cab. I would suggest, if the amount of your luggage permits, that you go across the street from the pier and catch a cab there. The line should be shorter and it is easier for the cabs.

The HA charge is way out of line. Last year at about the same time for 4 of us we did the limo deal and because of the luggage for four they suggested a van which was only $40.00 plus a $10.00 tip. Made arrangement on the computer on Google under "Limos - N.Y." No problem -- a phone call from the airport and was picked up right away. Have a great trip!

Last year we were on the Norweigan Dawn and we left on a Sunday,so the traffic wasn't so bad, but if I were you I would consider calling around and getting prices on a Limo ride. It is much more relaxing and not that much more expensive than a cab as they charge by the car and not the person. I found that it added a nice touch to our vacation. If I remember correctly we had quotes ranging from about $65 to $140 each way including tip and tolls.

Archived