Toddlers/Infants and seasickness

TNC010100

Anyone encountered any seasickness issues with their littler ones? I know these ships are so big now that it usually isn't and issue, but just something that has come up in my mind. If you have encountered it, what seemed to help.

We leave on the Freedom of the Seas two weeks from today. Thanks.

You're right, the ships are so big and you are on the biggest, the Freedom. :)

My kids have never experienced any kind of motion sickness. Does your child ever get sick riding in a car for a long trip? The ship's doctor will have meds if you need to use them for the child. I always carry dramamine with me just in case.

You're right, the ships are so big and you are on the biggest, the Freedom. :)

My kids have never experienced any kind of motion sickness. Does your child ever get sick riding in a car for a long trip? The ship's doctor will have meds if you need to use them for the child. I always carry dramamine with me just in case.

I asked this same question, both here and on the MdDS (Mal de Debarquement Syndrome) support group and this is what I gleaned:

"Babies who can't walk yet can't really get seasick because their ears haven't quite figured out the "equilibrium" thing yet." I'm not sure if I 100% believe this because they DO know up from down, right? But I'm hoping it's true AND hoping our little one doesn't figure out the walking thing in the next month (hard enough to keep her in a stroller now!)

"Kids who can walk can get seasick, but it's hard to tell if it's that or an illness." Kids can also get at least mild after-cruise landsickness (ie, swaying and bobbing after they're off the ship). One person said her whole class swayed and bobbed for a few days after a cruise - the kids who hadn't gone thought it was funny.

Anyway, I'm taking it all with a grain of salt and asking the ped before we go if there's anything we should bring along just in case...

I disagree with kids who can't walk yet not being able to get motion sickness. I think this is RARE, but I have heard of children who even as infants would throw up in the car. These are the same infants who grow up with terrible motion sickness as they get older, but it can happen.

I personally get motion sickness pretty easily. In the car on a curvy road, in the car on a straight road if I'm reading, looking at slides under the microscope for more than 1 or 2 mintues.. any of these things and I feel flushed and queasy.

Needless to say, I'm bringing meclazine for myself. I'm thankful that neither of my kids get motion sickness in the car (mine started in childhood) and my 8 yo will read for hours in the car without getting sick.

Still, I'm bringing some kid-friendly dramamine just in case! I myself am going to start taking the meclazine the day before the cruise, but the kids I'm just going to bring it in case it's needed, I'm not going to give it ahead of time.

`v

gets terrible motion sickness in traffic. The stop and go just upsets her tummy horrible. She has been that way since she was 18 months. We found that a movie in the car gives her something to watch and she does not get sick! I know that will not work for some but it works for her.

My sister's youngest son is also that way. She has found that the motion sickness bands work for him wonderfully. Even a short car ride can cause him distress. We are going on a cruise in about a month and I am ordering the bands for my daughter. I would rather her try this first before we resort to drugs. I will bring the drugs too just in case the bands do not work.

Last year we traveled with our 2, 7 and 11 year old children. Our 11 year old was recovering from cancer and her doctor told us to get these wristbands from Walgreens that kind of look like sweat bands. They worked great the whole cruise. She said she noticed the difference when she was not wearing them and they contain no medicine. I actually wore them recently for morning sickness and they worked. Our 7 year old got sick once and we gave him bonnie. Our 2 year old never got sick. I hope this helps.

Archived