Splendor rooms--size of balcony and cabins

happy5

We are booking a cruise on the Splendor of the Seas for March and are debating on which cabin to get---superior ocean view with balcony on the back or a junior suite on the side. We have never had a cabin on the back of a ship and are really interested in that, but are concerned about the size of the balcony. Please help!

We did Splendour to the Panama Canal a couple of years ago in an aft cabin and thoroughly enjoyed it! The cabin itself is just a regular cabin but the balcony was bigger (the center cabins along the aft have bigger balconies) and it was heaven to sit out at night and watch the wake of the ship and especially to stand on the balcony and watch the ship go thru the locks at the Canal.

We are now booked in a Junior Suite for a February cruise - midship. We will love having the extra room in the cabin and hear that the JS balconies are very nice for two people!

We did aft before because of the itinerary, and would do it again for a special itinerary, but it's a long walk from the elevators for someone with bad knees and still a pretty small cabin.

So.....did you have room on the balcony on the back of the ship to sit? were there chairs? or was it only standing room??? we usually get a JS (on Princess, RCCL and Carnival) we are willing to give up cabin room, but we want to have a decent size balcony as a trade-off. thanks

The JS's should have 2 chairs, a table and possibly a lounge chair. Aft balconies may have 2 loungers. The aft balconies are much larger than the sides, but if I had to choose a regular room aft or a side JS, I'd go for the JS!!! The room itself is soooooo much nicer! And a side JS balcony has AMPLE room for all you'd ever need to do! (I mean, you're not hosting a dance on you balcony, are you??)

With the aft balcony, you will have lots of room to sit - it's large with plenty of furniture. That being said, the cabin is small. Since my husband and I only require two chairs and a small table on a balcony, we have opted for the larger cabin in February.

Either way - it's a win-win situation for you. Only you can decide it if the larger balcony outweighs the larger cabin. Just be sure to enjoy!!

That will be an interesting decision - larger room vs. larger balcony. Our prior balconies have always been connected to Junior Suites. When we were on the Splendour last year, we just had an oceanview. We booked late and took advantage of a "hot deal". We found the space surprisingly adequate for a four day cruise. We booked our next cruise onboard and decided to try for an aft balcony and found one available on Deck 7. I have a feeling that the room size will, once again, not matter for a four dayer. Now the real test will be my upcoming Rhapsody cruise. We have one of the wraparounds on Deck 7 for that one, so it will be a test of a really big balcony vs. the size of the room. I'm thinking that the balcony will win that one especially since DD is a shower person. I am the only one who'll miss her onboard bubble baths.

You know, this is a really great problem to have!

Archived