Where to stay - French Quarter or Bourbon Street?

Heidict

We are sailing on the GOS on 1.27.07 and are looking to come into NOLA on the 25th.

I have never been to NOLA and have no idea what is the best area to stay in.

Should we stay around the Bourbon street or the French Quarter?

I'll tell you who we are and what we are looking for. Me (37), DH (32) and mom (60).

We are looking forward to some good food, so restaurants that are authentic, close by (walking distance would be nice) and not outragously priced. Anything from bargains to moderatly priced.

We definatly want to see the French Quarter, Bourbon Street and the Riverwalk. I know that they are spread out, is there a bus / trolley service available at this time? Or will we need to taxi it? Or are they within walking distance.

We want to be in a safe area. We probably won't go out at night and will be back in the hotel around 8 or 9 or so.

We aren't looking for a party area, but will want to hit a jazz/blues club for a drink in the evening.

I have seen some good rates on a couple of websites for the Ambassador Hotel, Hilton Garden Inn in the French Quarter and Hilton New Orleans Riverside. Also French Quarter Suites and Holiday Inn New Orleans - Chateau Lemoyne. Has anyone stayed at any of these?

Also, where should we avoid? I hear that staying right on Bourbon street is noisy and now with all the strip clubs, not the most pleasant place. Is this true?

Thanks for all your help!!:)

Also, wanted to add that we are looking at about $100 a night or lower, since we are paying for 2 rooms each night.

Bourbon Street is what most people visit in the French Quarter.

Looking at Holidayinns.com you can book either Chateau Lemoyne or Holiday Inn French Quarter for under $100/night.

Don't think you will do much better in orice. Can alsways select one of the refundable options.

Check out Maison Dupuy:

http://www.maisondupuy.com/

I am originally from NOLA, but live in Florida now. We stayed there this past August. It was the most comfortable bed I have ever slept on ever thus far! It's two blocks off Bourbon and is quiet. We were able to walk everywhere in the FQ/downtown/Riverwalk we wanted to go.

Weekdays are usually $99/night plus and Weekends are usually $119/night plus and that's for a King Size Bed!

The employees were very friendly, and I noticed most helpful to the tourist/conventioneers.

Priceline offers the Ambassador Hotel at $52.00/night. We stayed there two nights in 2002, and found it to be a very nice place for the price. They charge extra for parking, but I think that's all the hotels. We were able to walk to most places, and also caught a trolley one night.

Priceline offers the Ambassador Hotel at $52.00/night. We stayed there two nights in 2002, and found it to be a very nice place for the price. They charge extra for parking, but I think that's all the hotels. We were able to walk to most places, and also caught a trolley one night.

I saw that. So glad to have found someone who stayed there. So, would you stay there again?

Well, we're looking online now for somewhere to stay for one night before the cruise, but we're trying to locate one that allows us to leave our car for the week for free. Ambassador doesn't. If not for that, I'd definitely stay there again.

We booked Chateau Lemoyne at Hotwire for our stay in February for $54 a night. We are flying in but I just read on a website that Chateau Lemoyne is offering a cruise special that allows you to leave your car for a week for free. I wouldn't think the Hotwire rate would apply but I think there normal rate is around $120. I would call them directly to inquire about the cruise promotion. Sorry I don't have the link to the info, it was a couple of days ago and I have done a lot of surfing since then.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

We definatly want to see the French Quarter, Bourbon Street and the Riverwalk. I know that they are spread out, is there a bus / trolley service available at this time? Or will we need to taxi it? Or are they within walking distance.

Also, where should we avoid? I hear that staying right on Bourbon street is noisy and now with all the strip clubs, not the most pleasant place. Is this true?

Thanks for all your help!!:)

Also, wanted to add that we are looking at about $100 a night or lower, since we are paying for 2 rooms each night.

Actually Bourbon Street is IN the French Quarter and the Riverwalk is on the edge of the Quarter, so they are not spread out that much. There is a trolly along the river from the French Quarter to the Rivercenter area. You wouldn't need a taxi to get around in that area - but may need one to get from the hotel to the port.

Bourbon Street IS noisy and does have strip clubs and t-shirt shops, but also has good clubs and restaurants.

The costs of hotels right now is VERY reasonable. If I were looking for someplace to stay I'd look in the French Quarter. Most of the hotels on Bourbon Street (and there really aren't many) will try to put you in a room away from the street if you request it. There are those who LOVE being on Bourbon Street - especially if they have a balcony.

Archived