Cruising while Pregnant - deadline?

Keurigirl

We booked our first cruise several months ago, as a "family" cruise with all of my husband's side of the family. Since booking we found out that we are expecting our first child.

I have checked with my dr., who told me she thinks the timing is perfect, and she has cleared me to go. She said I'm healthy and her only rules are that I don't eat anything off the ship (we are going to Mexico) and that I don't do any shore excursion trips I wouldn't do at home (duh, like no horseback riding).

After looking at the guidelines of Princess Cruise Line, it states: "Princess cannot accept passengers who will have entered the 28th week of pregnancy by the end of the vacation."

I will slide under this guideline by a day - I will turn 28 weeks the day after we disembark the ship.

I've had my dr. write up the notice and I've faxed it to the medical people for Princess and am just waiting for a response. Do you think I'll be ok? I'm close to the deadline, but technically slide right under it.

I had absolutely no problems cruising pregnant on Princess. I was 15 weeks, sent in my medical form, brought it along plus dr.'s note and no one even asked about any of that. Of course, I didn't *look* pregnant yet.

I don't know if personally I would cruise past 24 weeks myself, just in case. But cruising is a GREAT way to get nice and pampered before the baby arrives!

I was in your situation last year! I was 27 weeks pregnant and I cruised on the Caribbean Princess. I had brought a letter from my doctor that said my due date and certified my health, but nobody asked it to me.

All in all, it was one of my best vacation ever. I felt great!

My daughter is now 7 months old and she will cruise for the first (second? :) ) time with us in December.

I wish you a fantastic time!

Emily -

Did you get a note from your doctor and fax it to fleet medical, or fill out any of the required stuff on Princess's website? Like the medical form, etc? Or did you just show up pregnant and get on the ship?

I did just show up pregnant and got on the ship without any hassle. I had learned on this board that it was absolutely not necessary to bother filling out the form and faxing it. I guess they do not care that much.

I just brought the note from my doctor. I must say that my pregnancy wasn't showing much and I wore baggy clothes... Anyway, I think you shouldn't worry about it. You will NOT have entered the 28th week of your pregnancy by the end of the vacation... That is all that matters!

I was 24 weeks pregnant when I went on my last cruise. I believe you cannot be farther then 27 weeks. That was on a Royal Caribbean. Make sure you bring a letter from your doctor saying it is ok to go and how far along you are. I looked 30+ weeks at the time and required proof.

We booked our first cruise several months ago, as a "family" cruise with all of my husband's side of the family. Since booking we found out that we are expecting our first child.

Congrats!! When we found out this January that we were (surprisingly) pregnant with our first child, we booked a Spring Break cruise (I'm a teacher, so timeframes were limited). Summer would have been past the pregnancy deadline for us with most cruiselines, so it was Spring Break or nothing. It fell during our second trimester and was a GREAT way to relax! For the first time, there was even a port we didn't get off at and just enjoyed the ship! :) We did the same thing - took a written letter from my OB and also realized that if anything happened regarding my pregnancy onboard, the medical facilities are not equipped with any sort of any neonatal ICU equipment.

Now my one-month old doesn't realize she will be going to Hawaii in June for HER first cruise... :D Well, I guess it will technically be her second cruise since she was with us this past Spring in the womb. ;)

Have fun and enjoy your time with hubby!!

• 3 weeks later...

In just two weeks I leave for an 11 day cruise. Just my mom and I are going for a mother/daughter getaway.

I'll be near the end of my first trimester so I'm not concerned about the timing for the cruise line. I did fax a letter from my office to the cruise line just for their records though.

I'm just curious if anyone had issues with seasickness compounded by morning sickness. This will be my fifth cruise and thankfully I've never had a problem with seasickness in the past but I am having normal first trimester morning sickness. What were your experiences with this?

I'm taking ginger for the morning sickness and the OB office recommended taking that along on the trip. They also said that dramamine non drowsy would be okay, too but I'm hoping just the ginger keeps me feeling okay.

Any tips/experiences will be appreciated!

Sincerely,

Brenda

When I cruised pregnant, I was sick the first night, but I'm pretty sure it was food poisoning and not morning sickness or sea sickness. If the seas are rough, though, you could get seasick. I would recommend you get the Sea Bands type acupressure wristbands, since you can't take any meclizine, etc. I wore them this last trip and felt *mostly* okay (breastfeeding, not pregnant). Also find out where they hide the crackers at the buffet.

Well, my mom asked for crackers and the folks at the buffet couldn't find any. I asked and the girl found them under the salad area, but there weren't many left...I say, stock up when you first see them just in case! (By the way, the crackers re-appeared later that afternoon in a basket by the desserts of all places...)

Archived