Questions for Sept. Baltics Cruisers

dog

It wasn't shorts weather by any stretch of the imagination, and was down-right chilly when laying out on deck while the ship was moving. I was comfortable in pants, a short sleeve shirt, a jacket, and open-toed shoes during our shore excursions. As for the seas, we only had one REALLY bad night (and that wasn't REALLY bad, thanks to anti-sea-sick drugs and plenty of ginger).

Guest LetMeGo

Yes well... The answer is pretty identical to the one about the weather in May. :D

The Baltic sea is quite a large region, and the weather in e.g. Poland is very different to the one in Finland. Some years in Helsinki the end of the August - beginning of September is the warmest and driest time of the year (with average temperature between 10 am and 8 pm closer to 80 F), while other years it's pouring constantly and the temperature is never over 50 degrees F. There are also occasionally some pretty rough seas between Helsinki and Stockholm especially in September, but they don't really affect the large cruise ships that much...

You really should prepare for either alternative, and put a bit more emphasis on the type of weather we have the week before your cruise. ;)

We cruised August 30-Sept 11 roundtrip from Harwich UK. We were in Oslo on September 1 so our itinerary was about 1 week earlier than yours will be. We we're really lucky as most days were fine. It rained in Helsinki, was overcast 2 days in St. Petersburg with a couple sunny breaks, mixed rain and sun in Tallin, absolutely awesome weather in Oslo and Copenhagen with sun and upper 60's. Lowest temps were upper 40's. It was 86 when we returned to London. Anything goes...

The temperature at sea seemed to be pretty constant at nights, around 60 but windy so it was fairly chilly on the sea days, very few people at the outdoor pool and some days the wind was too strong to consider walking the track.

your wardrobe seems appropriate -- we didn't feel a need for shorts and if you are visiting churches and museums when in port, shorts aren't really appropriate anyway. I ended up throwing in a fleece jacket at the last minute which was appreciated one of the colder mornings when sailing into Stockholm -- you don't want to miss sailing in and out of these ports as they are quite spectacular. A pair of gloves would have been nice.

The North Sea was like glass, I gather that is a bit unusual from comments from our crew. One wild evening in the Baltic sea with 60 mph winds and pretty big waves, but most of the rest of the time, you hardly knew you were sailing. I would assume that since the Star and Jewel of the Seas are close in size, motion most of the time will be negligible.

Weather.com will give you day by day average temps and precipitation, plus sunrise and sunset times if you are curious.

Weather aside it was a great time to cruise, fewer crowds, almost no children on board while still summerlike conditions.

• 4 weeks later...

If booking a tour independently for the 2 days in St. Petersburg, when would you suggest I start to contact the tour companies?

We will be in Gdansk, Poland on a Sunday - any suggestions what to do there on a Sunday? Would the ship's tour be the best here?

We will be on the Star Princess, and they tender in Stockholm and it is an hour ride from town - would this be another port to consider the ship's tour?

We will most likely do all other ports independently. On our Mediterraen cruises we picked up taxis for independent tours. Still cost less for 2 than ship's excursions and we got to go where we wanted. Is this possible at any of these Baltic ports on this cruise. ( Oslo one ). Thanks, J.

We booked with Red Oct in St Petersburg. Contacted then a year out and worked up a wonderful 2 days of touring.

You can catch the train into Stockholm from the Port City. We heard that there is a chance the Star will be going into Stockholm. (there were Swedish officials on the Transatlantic portion of our cruise and they were running tests to see if the Starcould manuver into Stockholm--that would be awesome!)

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks BLS,

I think I'll start looking into the St. Petersburg tours in the next couple of weeks.

Do you have any advice of how to use the 2 days there? I'm looking at Alla, Denrus & Red October with maybe a small group or a private car for 2.

J.

Is this too much for a 2 day small group tour in St. Petersburg?

Hermitage & Gold Room, Peterhof (inside/out), Catherine's Palace, Church on Spilled Blood, Photo stops at Peter & Paul Fortress and St. Issacs, lunch in restaurant, short walk, shop in town. Boat back from Peterhof.

Thanks, J.

In '05 we were on the Baltic 8/29 to 9/08 and had very nice days (low to mid 70s) every day except 8/31 in Estonia, which was quite windy and chilly. A friend who was on the next 10 day sail (9/8 - 9/18) had cold days most of the time.

Archived