Panama Canal Cristobal Pier

Cruising Carol

We are going on Summit on November 11 - Los Angeles to San Juan. An evening stop is Cristobal Pier. We are not taking an excursion during the canal transit, so what is available at or near the dock we could do or see in an hour or two? On a prior cruise, we stopped at San Blas Islands. Loved the molas sold there. Any availability at or near Cristobal Pier?

Hi Carol,

From what I have been able to learn from these boards Cristobal Pier has a large Market with local handcrafts. You will not be allowed to leave the Pier as this is a stop to pick up those passengers who did Shore Excursions for the day. Go to the Ports Of Call section of these Boards to do more research. Here is the link http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5

I am on this same cruise. We have a Roll Call with others on this Cruise. It can be found at http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=259292 Come over and see what we have been up to and join in if you wish.

You could also sign up for the Cruise Critic/Celebrity Connections onboard Party.

Happy Travels

Cindy

There was a native dance show at the pier when we were there in February.

They do have some shops about the covered pier area.

They did not stop you from leaving the pier area.

But....

There is no where to walk to.

The area at the end of the pier area is not very nice.

You can get a taxi over to town that is about 2 miles away.

Even town is not a place you want to go. Not overly safe. Had friends catch a cab. Got out and then the very next cab they saw back to the pier. Stay at the pier enjoy the shops, have a beer at the bar. Cheap $2 for a 32 oz bottle. Get one with cups and share. Finish and have another. It's fun just to watch the people.

The port past the pier is not safe, so I wouldn't venture out. There were people that took horse-drawn carriage rides, but I can't imagine where they went. This port is more of a working port area than a touristy area. There are lots of booths and shops with wares and molas. And if I remember correctly, there are usually dancers there to greet passengers and put on a really good show of dances.

Of all the Panama Canal cruise ports, we found Cristobal Pier to have the most extensive selection and best prices on souvenir and native goods. I would not recommend wandering out at night beyond this area.

I agree with DonLou. We were just there in April '06. There is a huge selection and great prices at the port market. I also agree that I would not leave the market area to tour on own!

We are sooooo looking forward to our next cruise . . .

Golden Princess April ’07 - 10 Mexican Riviera

Constellation Oct. ’06 – 11 Western Caribbean

Brilliance of the Seas April ’06 (9258 Cabin off back of ship) - 10 Panama Canal

Jewel of the Seas Oct. ’05 – 10 Bermuda and Caribbean

Dawn Princess March '05 – 10 Western Caribbean

Caribbean Princess '04 (C752 Cabin off back of ship) – 7 Eastern Caribbean

Island Princess '03 – 10 Panama Canal

Star Princess '03 – 7 Mexican Riviera

Grand Princess '02 - 7 Western Caribbean

Enchantment of the Seas '98 - 7 Eastern Caribbean

On a prior cruise, we stopped at San Blas Islands. Loved the molas sold there. Any availability at or near Cristobal Pier?

Having loved molas I had previously purchased in the San Blas Islands, I too was hoping they would be available for sale. Thankfully there were a wide variety of molas available for sale through the many vendors. Shop around before you make your actually purchases. Practicing your Spanish prior to arrival also goes a long way :) in appreciation and bargains :D

From our Galaxy cruise in December, I have the Celebrity "Shopping Today" for Cristobal Pier at this link. There are 3 pages, from the first page use the drop down box to view the second two pages.

Even town is not a place you want to go. Not overly safe. Had friends catch a cab. Got out and then the very next cab they saw back to the pier. Stay at the pier enjoy the shops, have a beer at the bar. Cheap $2 for a 32 oz bottle. Get one with cups and share. Finish and have another. It's fun just to watch the people.

That's right. The beer there is very good and only $2 per.

Nice to have sitting watching the native dancers.

Archived