Checking soda bottles?

Cptnkirky

I am planning on taking a couple 6 packs of soda in the 12 oz bottles in a small suitcase that we are going to check on the plane. Has anyone ever done this? Will the soda burst open or leak?? I thought the bottles would be better than the cans, but if it is not possible either way, a soda card it will be :)

Plastic would be much better than glass when checking your luggage, as for leakage...its hard to say, we had a 6pk cans of cola in out checked luggage and one of the cans burst, i don't know how or why but my guess is that our suitcase was at the bottom of the pile and had thousands of other suitcases on top of it. It wasn't the top the exploded, it was the side of the can, i'm assuming because of pressure.

What port are you sailing from? Possibly you can buy the soda there and take it on the ship as oppose to flying with it. Having a bottle leak or burst in luggage could be a nightmare.

Charlie

P.S. have to ask - are you a Kirby out of Fort Foot, Maryland? That's where my husband's family hails from. Can't help but wonder if you are a relative.

Soda will add a lot of weight to your limit.. limit is 50 pounds per bag with 2 pcs each person.

Your best bet-- get a taxi when you reach the port and ask to stop at the nearest store.

You can carry on soda. Its listed in most cruiselines FAQs

I totally agree. Wait until you get to your homeport and buy the Cokes. There's probably a convenience store or grocery on the way from the airport - the cabbie should be willing to stop there for you. The extra weight on the plane for luggage might put you over the top...in addition to the possible explosion of cans or bottles leaking.:rolleyes:

You can also purchase soft drinks in the ports you visit while on the cruise, and bring them onto the ship, no problem.

We are going out of Galveston. Getting from the port is difficult because we have princess transfers straight to the port and are coming in at 12:10 for a 12-3 embarkation, and the transfer is 45+ minutes from Houston Hobby to Galveston Port...so, a little tight on time and no option to stop to pick up anything there. :(

As for buying in island ports, does anyone know how much they cost on average? We will be in Roatan, Costa Maya, Belize and Cozumel (last). However, that might work if they are cheap.

I am not too worried about the weight as that is all that is really in the suitcase. No clothes or anything in that one, they will be in another suitcase all together. It will only be a 20" case, and I will surely weight before leaving though.

Charlie - Sorry, no, I am not a Kirby, but a Kirk out of Baltimore :)

I have seen the results of people who pack Coke/Pepsi in their suitcases for flight. The compartment where luggage is stored is not really pressurized the same as where you sit. The cokes does explode easily. In one case it was someone else coke and it leaked all over my suitcase and made a mess of my things. I had to do laundry as soon as I could. The airline would not accept responsiblity as they did not put the coke in the other persons suitcase. The people would not pay as they claimed it was the airline fault. I had to go to catch my ride so I ended up claiming it on insurance. It took weeks as I had to prove first that it was not my fault then that I tried to claim it from the airline.

The other time it was going around the conveyer belt when we all heard a bang. The next thing we knew there was Security all over the place and they treated the luggage as a bomb. Everyone was cleared out of the area then the Bomb Squad came in. You should have seen their faces when it was discovered that it was just pop that had finally had enough of a ride.

. It will only be a 20" case, and I will surely weight before leaving though.

You are only allowed 2 pags per person so if you have an extra bag-- go for it. At least you will have an extra bag to bring back all the stuff you accumulate over the week.

........ not worth the few pennies you might save

It's not pennies. I can buy a six pack of 16-oz. Cokes or Sprites for $2.50. That's what I take on cruises when I drive to the ports. The soda card would cost at least $30.00.

That's 'way more than a few pennies.:D

lougee, not only the money issue, but the convenience is a much bigger problem. I drink soda in the a.m. like some drink coffee. You can't use the soda card unless you are at one of the bars. I need a drink as soon as i wake up!

trust me...you don't want to see me at the windjammer getting a soda before i've been good and awake for a while :eek: LOL

lougee, not only the money issue, but the convenience is a much bigger problem. I drink soda in the a.m. like some drink coffee. You can't use the soda card unless you are at one of the bars. I need a drink as soon as i wake up!

my cabin has always had a refrig in it and there is always cold soda available and the room steward will refill as necessary

I take a small suitcase filled with plastic bottles of Coke with me on every cruise. I pack them in large plastic garbage bags just in case but have never had one burst yet. I figured last cruise it saved me at least $150 on the ship. Then I use the empty suitcase to bring home any thing I may have purchased while on vacation so as not to have my other cases go over 50 lbs.

Yeah were going out of NY, so no flight for us, we plan on bringing a case of water bottles and 2 12 packs of soda. I don't like the soda from the taps ( never tastes right) and I refuse to pay 4.00 for a bottle of water, especially with 5 ppl whom are waterholics

I refuse to pay 4.00 for a bottle of water, especially with 5 ppl whom are waterholics

Water on the ship is quite good- I take a 24 oz sports bottle and fill it at the buffet regularly. saves me a ton of money during the week.

Archived