Own Shore Excursions encenada & Catalina

1gail1

:confused: Has anyone booked any great shore excursions on-line and not through the ship for these two places? If so please let me know what they may be, going in Jan. 2007

When you get off the ship in Catalina, you can buy tickets for things like the glass bottom boats or the "submarines", etc. BUT...to my recollection, they're at exactly the same prices as offered by the ships...

Here are the websites for the two main tour companies on the island:

http://www.catalinaadventuretours.com/main.html

http://www.visitcatalinaisland.com/avalon/Tours.php

I think the ships actually just use the same providers...Might as well book them through the ship and save the hassle...

In Ensenada, I'd be wary of local providers...

My recommendation: I don't know if Carnival offers it, but the Wineries Tour offered by RCCKL at only $29 pp is VERY GOOD...

Good luck...

On Catalina, we opted to rent golf carts on our own and explore the island that way. The rental agencies will give you a map with a self-guided tour on it so you get to see all the highlights of the island at your own pace. We had a blast.

In Ensenada, we've done the Bufadora and the winery tours. The Bufadora (blow hole) is a little anti-climatic in that the blow hole isn't very impressive unless there is high surf. It is a pretty good walk from the bus down to the blow hole and back, but there are lots of vendor stalls and taco stands lining the way (I had the best fish tacos ever in one of those stands).

We also did the winery tour and it was OK. We live in the California wine country and have been on alot of winery tours and this one was good but not great (the wine was just OK). Nowadays we usually just do a little souvenier shopping in town, get a rotisserie chicken lunch in one of the restaurants on the main shopping street, and get cervesa or two in either Papas & Beer or Hussongs (P&B is more fun) before heading back.

Archived