Recent Movies Onboard??

slg

My gosh, so do I! Generally the movies onboard seem to be comparable to the then "new releases" of DVDs, especially the movies they are showing in their movie theater.

The TV shows, sadly, do seem to be continually re-used.

Celebrity is not the line to pick to watch movies or TV. The movies are not anything memorable and the TV is just loops. Traveled two cruises on Celebrity and they were showing the same movies and TV shows. Bring lots of reading material. Our favorite channel on TV was the bridge cam.

Curious what recent movies Celebrity might be playing onboard? In Theater or on the TV?? (specifically on Mercury, if it matters)

Many thanks! Next trip 10/13

On the September 18th Mercury cruise they showed "Charlie And The Chocolate Factory," "Cinderella Man" and "War Of The Worlds."

Curious what recent movies Celebrity might be playing onboard? In Theater or on the TV?? (specifically on Mercury, if it matters)

Many thanks! Next trip 10/13

There are no recent movies on any cruise ship that I have been on. The most you can hope for is some thing you missed in the theatres 1 year ago. Lorelle

The movies that run in the theater tend to be a bit older - year or two. Movies that run on television (for free) tend to be a bit more recent than that. Then there's always the Pay-Per-View movies - which are usually movies released within the last 6 months or so.

As far as anything else on television - yeah its pretty limited and tends to repeat frequently. would be nice if there was a way to see different programming. Also - I know that when the ships are not in the Caribbean, they rely more on pre-taped material... If they're in the Caribbean, they get a couple more satellite feeds. I think it has something to do with not being within range of the satellite, or just not being allowed to re-broadcast content from those satellites in Europe.

Sept 23-Oct 8th on Infinity, the films in the theatre were

War of the Worlds. Wedding crashers, In her shoes, Cinderella Man, March of the Penguins, Madagascar, and Batman (these last three made for children not adults, we only had about 6-8 children on board only 1 of an age to go to the movies, others were babies).

Not a very good selection for a 14 day cruise, not only were they shown about 4 times per day but each was shown another 4 times on a second day on the second week of the cruise.

War of the Worlds. Wedding crashers, In her shoes, Cinderella Man, March of the Penguins, Madagascar, and Batman (these last three made for children not adults, we only had about 6-8 children on board only 1 of an age to go to the movies, others were babies).

Not a very good selection for a 14 day cruise, not only were they shown about 4 times per day but each was shown another 4 times on a second day on the second week of the cruise.

I never get to go to the movies and I'm to lazy to go to the video rental store, so that list looks pretty good to me. I would really like to see three of those movies. I hate shootem up and horror films. I might be able to sit through these. (It's the Pollyanna in me. I only like movies that will end happily.)

Barbara

Neither "MARCH OF THE PENGUINS" nor "BATMAN BEGINS" were "made for children. In fact, the Batman movie is rated PG-13, so many children are not even encouraged to see it! These movies may not be to YOUR taste , but they were very popular with (literally) millions of adults. "WEDDING CRASHERS" isn't to my taste (one of the dumbest movies I've seen in years), but that doesn't mean that other people on a cruise I was on wouldn't enjoy it!

However, I agree with you about the lack of variety. And I think it's even worse as far as the television goes! Given that one channel shows repeats of old television shows (I'm talking "Remington Steele"), they should pony up the licensing fees and pay for more than one or two episodes so the SAME SHOWS don't repeat every couple of days! Seriously, with old shows, it would cost next to nothing to have different episodes playing every single day!

I was just looking around the forum here to see if I wanted to try a Celebrity cruise and saw this thread. Just to give you a comparison on a recent Caribbean Princess cruise, the following movies were shown:

The Incredibles

Shall We Dance

The Greatest Game Ever Played

Ice Age

Mr & Mrs. Smith

Scary Movie

Shrek

In Good Company

Spiderman 2

Elton John "Live" Concert,

Miss Congeniality

Wedding Date

The Interpreter

Eight Below

Tom Jones Concert

Herbie Fully Loaded

Sahara

Jurassic Park

Tina Turner in Concert

Bewitched

Charlie & The Chocolate Factory

Good Night & Good Luck

Grease

Flight Plan

Meet The Fockers

Monsters Inc.

Raiders of the Lost Ark

The Davinci Code

Xmen

Mission Impossible 3

Also they do offer current news channel and some satellite feeds from the states for TV programs.

Unfortunately - the company(ies) must enter into a contract in order to air *any* content - whether by satellite or by pre-recorded media (DVD's or Cassettes). And generally you're talking a fleet wide thing - so 8 ships for Celebrity. That could run into significant costs very rapidly. Its not like someone from the ship can run into BestBuy and pick up the latest season of "Lost" and air it.... its illegal to do that (without a contract).

Its also illegal to air content that they receive via satellite without authorization (read: Contract). It would be like stealing cable - but along the lines of Comcast stealing from TimeWarner or something.

Also fwiw - I heard that Celebrity will be getting a couple new channels. One is called "CBS Eye on Celebrity" and the other i dont know yet.

Also the movies available on the Television (free) were changed back in june or july and are due to be changes again soon from my understanding (they play for only a few months - 3 or 4)... This isn't the entire list, but some of the movies that are running now are:

Roll Bounce

Sahara

Madagascar

Valiant

(heh - there's quite a few more, but they're just *so* memorable, i figured i'd save some for later.... really - if i can think of more, i'll edit this post or make a new one with the list)

Unfortunately - the company(ies) must enter into a contract in order to air *any* content - whether by satellite or by pre-recorded media (DVD's or Cassettes). And generally you're talking a fleet wide thing - so 8 ships for Celebrity. That could run into significant costs very rapidly. Its not like someone from the ship can run into BestBuy and pick up the latest season of "Lost" and air it.... its illegal to do that (without a contract).

Yes, but if you're talking about old and cancelled series from the 70's/80's (as they're already airing) the licensing fees would be VERY low, and they really should shell out for more than 1 or 2 episodes repeated over and over.

Just to give you a comparison on a recent Caribbean Princess cruise, the following movies were shown:

Crusinagain, were all those movies on Princess shown in the theater and/or MUTS? Because if you listed all the movies played in the theater + on the free TV channel + PPV on TV, you'd get a similar length list from Celebrity. Obviously, if they're all in the theater or MUTS on Princess, that's a lot better.

By the way, I know that Carnival had a satellite feed of at least two network affiliates (NBC & ABC). I was on a Carnival cruise during the 2000 Summer Olympics, and I was VERY grateful for the NBC coverage, and I remember watching "Desperate Housewives" while packing to disembark from a little 3-day Carnival cruise.

Now, television is hardly my biggest concern when choosing a cruise, but all things being equal, I'd rather pay a few bucks more (and it literally should only cost a few bucks per guest) to have some improved choices on TV. Heck, I'd like to see them do what JetBlue does and work out a package with DirectTV where they market the brand in exchange for a cheap product.

Here's some more movies... i think i might have listed a couple of these already.

I found out there's about 30 movies in rotation on the movie channel (ie, not including those in the theatre).

Deuce Bigalow 2

Roll Bounce

Four Brothers

Million Dollar Baby

40 Year Old Virgin

Hitch

Dukes of Hazzard

Bad News Bears

Again - not a complete list... but just wanted to give a bigger sample of what they were showing.

Archived