Quickie review of Mariner 9/24

kim826

Just got back from a wonderful cruise. Used Priceline (Holiday Inn Select) for night before arrival and All-in-One Limo service for our party of eight girls, to and from the ship. The ship was in good shape and Captain Johnny was visible frequently. Our room steward wasn't the best I've ever had, but he tried - towel animals were a little bit sad looking :) I did have a rip/hole in my sheet, but other than that no problems. Food was wonderful. We had 5 first time cruisers who were nervous about the money so they didn't want to pay extra for the specialty restaurants. We were all more than happy with the dining room. I did check to see if they offered reduced rates from 5:30-6:30 and was told "no". There were always chairs to be found around the pool or Solarium whenever I checked. I could have done without the production shows. The Ice Show, Hal Frazier (singer), juggler and ventriloquist were quite good. The karoake superstar final was very good -- some really good talent. Quest was fun. I would have liked to see some more comedy and something else to replace the production shows. We had a balcony cabin way up in the front. I was worried about the motion, but the seas were fairly calm. I would heartily recommend the Mariner!

Thanks Kim. I was glad to read that your cruise was a positive one. We are on the Mariner Nov 12. We are getting excited and soon should be doing the "Doc Dance" :D .

I have read several reviews that mentions the cabin stewards that weren't the best. I hope that we get a good one. This will be our 5th cruise (4th with RCI) and we have had great ones so far.

We have our first balcony this cruise (#8588) about mid-way of the ship. I hope this is a good location.

Did you happen to do the Segway's on St Maarten? We were thinking of doing that excursion but haven't talked to anyone that has used them. They look like a lot of fun.

I have read several reviews that mentions the cabin stewards that weren't the best. I hope that we get a good one. This will be our 5th cruise (4th with RCI) and we have had great ones so far.

Hi Whitsmom,

I wrote one of those "bad cabin steward" reviews (Mariner Aug. 27). Learn from our mistake - take any concerns to Housekeeping Supervision immediately. I believe that if we would have done so things would have been rectified to our satisfaction (Captain Johnny and his officers were very public about their intentions to provide "the best of the best"). Instead we let the situation drag on to the point where it tainted our entire experience. BTW Kim, by Day 3 I would have felt priviledged to have a steward who seemed like "he tried".:rolleyes:

Happy Sails,

Annette

We were on the Western Caribbean route so didn't go to St. Maarten. I should also point out that the other girls in our group had a good cabin steward that they were very happy with. We were on the 8th deck in the front and our other group was on the same deck in the back. All of us had a smooth ride.

We were on the 9/24 cruise and it was exceptional.Our room steward,Elaine, was the best ever. She was not talkative or in your face but answered all requests promptly and the room was immaculate. Sheets were changed daily, spread was left off with top sheet covering the blanket. Couldn't have asked for a cleaner cabin. Guest services were top notch. We happened to be in the lounge during a staff meeting,the officers in charge were discussing complaints and how they were handled, demanding proof that they were resolved. He even mentioned seeing something on Cruise Critic. I am sure they would handle any complaints as fast as possible.

Just wanted to add my 2 cents ;)

I was on the mariner sailing 9/17, and we had deck 7 balcony forward, and The room was clean, we weren't messy, and we would leave early for breakfast ,and we would come back shortly after , the room was always made up , His name was Benjamin, and was always polite when we ran into him in the hallways. Another Couple we went with, they were on Deck 6 and they had a girl named Pamela, they said she was great and very friendly, bent over backwards to help them.

By any chance do you have any menus or Compasses? Did you like the buffet? What about the pizza? Was there something to eat around the pools like burgers or franks? How was the coffee in the buffet? Did you eat breakfast in the buffet or the dinning room. When was the formal nights?

Archived