Fort Lauderdale as a day destination

bonni99

Hi- we have a day in the middle of our Caribbean cruise in December where we will be able to have a look around Fort Lauderdale.As a dedicated shopper and with it being near Christmas can anyone tell me if there is a decent sized mall near to where the ship will be docked? If so- would it be worth cabbing it or would it be expensive? Thanks!

Go to sunny.org and you can scan the shopping. You will need a cab,but it should not be more than $8 or so to go and another $8 to return to the ship.The Galleria Mall has all the upscale stores and there is another mall of the beach front. Have fun!:)

B.

When we got off of Sea Princess in Fort Lauderdale last December we noticed that they were selling excursions for the day to those still on to a mall called something like Sawbush Mills.

The advertising was saying it was one of the biggest malls in America and, presumably, it must be close enough to get there and back in time for sailing which I believe is 5pm.

Hopefully someone can supply a bit more information.

Dave

Hi- we have a day in the middle of our Caribbean cruise in December where we will be able to have a look around Fort Lauderdale.As a dedicated shopper and with it being near Christmas can anyone tell me if there is a decent sized mall near to where the ship will be docked? If so- would it be worth cabbing it or would it be expensive? Thanks!

if we have a day in fort lauderdale we take a taxi to hyatt pier 66 hotel on the causeway (17th st) which is the far end of port everglades and we purchase a 1 day water taxi pass and it goes all thru out the inland water ways stopping at malls and many othert attractions. there are several different routes and makes for great shopping and sight seeing. hope this is helpfull!! as a matter of fact we are staying at the hyatt on dec 8 2006 and doing exactly as i stated above and than going on the dec 9 cruise on the QM-2 bon voyage

I'm not a shopper, but Ft Lauderdale is known for its Sawgrass Mall, I believe the Galleria is newer. I remember many cruise ships offering excurisions to the Sawgrass!

Again, never been there. I HATE shopping and malls (Ladies- don't hate me- I don't particularly care for chocolate either! I guess that makes me a traitor to my gender!)

Karie,

Who isn't big on high heels, make-up and hairdos, either. Give me some good techie pursuit, reading or just being with other ccers anytime!

Bonni99:

If you are looking for the mall closest to the port, then that would be the Galleria Mall. Anchor stores are Saks, Neiman Marcus, Macy's, and Dillard's. It is about a 10 minute drive away.

The big attraction in Ft. Lauderdale is the Sawgrass Mills Mall. This is a VERY large outlet mall which attracts so many customers that it is the 2nd most important tourist attraction in Florida behind Disney and its theme parks. It is about 30 minutes away from the port as it is located in the western side of Lauderdale (actually located in the city of Sunrise). So if this is what you're looking for, then this is where you will be headed. You cannot possibly see it all in a few hours. If your ship stops in Lauderdale for the day, I am sure that there will be a ship's tour offering a visit to this attraction.

Regards

We love to shop and will be staying in Ft Lauderdale the day before our cruise. Unfortunately, we have chosen Black Friday for our shopping day. Black Friday, for all of you who may not know, is the day after Thanksgiving. Traditionally, this day is the busiest shopping day of the year. It is the official start of the holiday season for retailers.

Retailers have named it Black Friday because their books go from red ink to black. They have the best sales of the year. Since we are arriving in ft Lauderdale the day before the cruise, I asked our Travel Agent to book us someplace close to Sawgrass and Galleria. Then, I realized what day it is. Well, I must do for the economy what I must do:) I'll probably stay away from Sawgrass, however, and go to Galleria. I suspect it may be less crazy there.

--Judy

Living here in Ft. Lauderdale/Pompano Beach for 7 years I've been to Sawgrass a few times and swear I'll never go back. It's just TOO big and many of the huge megastores are long distances apart in the same general area out there. Parking is insane, so if you are going on a bus excursion from the ship you're much better off.

Was just in the Galleria Mall the other day (after it was renovated the last couple of years). As mentioned, above some very nice stores and rather manageable to walk around. What was shocking (amazingly so) was how the food court is just amazing. Before the renovation it was rather functional and drab. Now - my roommate commented when we were there that it's the most beautiful food court he's ever seen in a mall, and I agree with him. Everything from gelato to full course dinners and beautiful seatings areas to enjoy it in. Plus, if you are energetic, the Galleria Mall is just across the Sunrise Intracoastal Bridge which is an easy walk and there you are on the beach.

Also, right on the east side of the bridge is Bonnet House, which is a wonderful old plantation-style estate and tours of it are given. A little oasis hidden away from the modern day world. There is a web-site for it if you want to check it out and the ship MAY offer a tour as well.

Happy Shopping!

Thanks for all your responses- I think I will try and get a taste of what Fort Lauderdale is like and stay nearer to port- giving Sawgrass Mills a miss- as we only have the one day mid cruise there. I have been to Potomac Mills near DC and as a Brit was astounded by the fantastic prices!! I like the sound of the Galleria- does anyone know if it has a website?

Archived