what to see in st. maarten

pmeem

hi all,

new to this site. sailing on carnival triumph out of miami 10/7.

while in st. maarten we have rented a jeep for the day. wondering what you think would be the spots we make sure to see. want to go to marigot to the open air market and see pic paradis and orient beach and shop phillipsburg. what else should we do. want to pack in a bunch of stuff. also would consider having another couple tag along to hang out for the day but we'll see who we meet on the ship. thanks

hi all,

new to this site. sailing on carnival triumph out of miami 10/7.

while in st. maarten we have rented a jeep for the day. wondering what you think would be the spots we make sure to see. want to go to marigot to the open air market and see pic paradis and orient beach and shop phillipsburg. what else should we do. want to pack in a bunch of stuff. also would consider having another couple tag along to hang out for the day but we'll see who we meet on the ship. thanks

We always rent a jeep when we go to St. Martin, can not get lost only one road around the whole island. We usually head straight over to Margot (but the guys make us stop at the Harley shop so they can pick up T-shirts before we reach Margot) and then it is french pastries and n the market. From there we travel to L'Hoste hotel park the jeep and walk to their restrauant on the beach. The kids parasail and enjoy the water, while DH and I enjoy a few drinks, people watching and have french cruisine for lunch and then it is off to Phillipsburg. Parking is difficult to fine so we return the jeeps and they drive us to the shopping district and then we can walk back to the boat or take the water taxi to the pier. Our children tell us this is their favorite part of the trip.

<snip>

and see pic paradis

<snip>

I'd suggest that you re-think a visit to pic paradis.

It's well out of the way, and a long, winding, steep, difficult road, full of potholes and ruts. Even your jeep might not be able to reach the top, possibly resulting in an unexpected hike.

AND, even though I don't recall seeing any recent reports, in the past there have been numerous reports of crime in that vicinity. Car break-ins and outright robbery, especially in the absence of a group.

Read the previous discussion in this thread.

I would avoid it! Jeep or No-Jeep the roads are twisty and turny and it is easy to get lost if you go off on a side road. Also, if you're looking to have a drink or two you might re-think.

Taxi's ABOUND! You not only support the economy but you also avoid having to park and the fear of having "one too many"!

PMEEM

Wondering how you were able to reserve a jeep in St. Martin? I went on the website and the closest I could get for our cruise is a compact convertible for 90.00, which seems crazy. Would love your help. Thanks!

I have also read bad things about Pic Paradis... so skip it. Seriously, people have been robbed up there, its not worth it. You will get plenty of other nice views from other places.

Call Hertz Int'l line at 800-654-3001. They gave me a price of $71 including tax, insurance is an additional $16. And I forgot to ask if I could use my coupons or if they accept AAA or other discounts, so you could possibly get a lower rate with those.

Ren1216

Was the $71.00 for a jeep? When trying to get rate online they don't show they have any jeeps. I will try the number you gave, thanks. I did get a rate for $80 plus insurance $20, from Thrifty. But Hertz is at the port correct?

Ive not been to St Maarten yet, first time coming up in a few weeks. But yes, its my understanding that they are either in or near the pier area. And sorry, yes that rate was for a Jeep, I reserved 3 so I know they have several.

First rethink Hertz unless you get a guaranteed rate or they have a new licencee. Too many problems in the past. If you plan to shop while there don't get a jeep but a car with a trunk that locks and the goods not visible. Pic Paradis is a waste of time. Definately go to Marigot to have lunch and then to the Match supermarket to pick up some French goodies-wine, liquors, Island rhums, cheese, pates etc. The fish soup at the Port Royale is wonderful almost at every restaurant. Also a great place for your RX.

Archived