Valparaiso to Buenos Aires - How cold will it get?

shifty

Since many of you have taken this cruise (or the reverse itinerary), what can we expect in terms of temperature on the southern part of this cruise in early January?

We know that Buenos Aires and Montevideo will be warm, but don't know what kinds of clothes to pack for Puerto Montt, Punta Arenas, the Falklands, and cruising around Cape Horn.

Any information and suggestions will be appreciated.

Mike S

Weather is very changeable. We traveled from Valpariso to B.A. Most days were sunny and warm. (We did it in January). The early mornings and late evenings were chilly. The day we viewed the glaciers in Chile; and the ship was moving it was very cold with a wind chill. My advice, dress in layers.

Weather is very changeable. We traveled from Valpariso to B.A. Most days were sunny and warm. (We did it in January). The early mornings and late evenings were chilly. The day we viewed the glaciers in Chile; and the ship was moving it was very cold with a wind chill. My advice, dress in layers.

Good advice. It was very windy in the Falklands, Cape Horn, and Punta Arenas. Other than layers, a rain cape is useful. I wish I had ear muffs or a hood in Punta Arenas where the cold wind was quite chilly. We did the cruise late January 2006.

BA and santiago were warm, but the southern places were in the 50s and often windy.

I expect Buenos Aires to be potentially HOT..like 90's. But does anyone know if it is humid as well? Hot I can handle...but... I wilt badly in humid hot weather....what's our chances of me wilting? We'll be in BA three days pre-cruise. Cold windy at the 'straits' I think will just add to the experience, reminding one of the trials of all those early travelers 'rounding the horn....seasick for months at a time. hope that Bonine works as well as it has in the past:p

Definitely plan to dress in layers. I found that my nylon windbreaker over a hoody was just perfect. Ear muffs were a must. And gloves. And don't forget your sunscreen and sunglasses... the glare off the water, etc. is quite strong. Oh, and be sure to wear shoes with a good grip on them if you are going to be out on deck (especially the bow when it is open to passengers). I found the surface to be quite slick when it was raining or when there was morning dew on it, etc.

I expect Buenos Aires to be potentially HOT..like 90's. But does anyone know if it is humid as well? Hot I can handle...but... I wilt badly in humid hot weather....what's our chances of me wilting? :p

BA was not humid!!!:D

We sailed this itinerary in January, 2005.

Expect that the weather in Valparaiso and Buenos Aires will be anywhere from the mid-80's to the low to mid-90's.

As you cruise south from either of these locations it will get cooler and the further south you go the cooler it will get.

My wife and I each brought waterproof jackets (the kind that you can zip a fleece into) along with the fleece. I would also bring a sweater, waterproof pants, a hat and gloves. All of this will come in handy during sea days when you are on deck viewing the beautiful scenery and on certain excursions. Not sure if you are stopping in Punta Arenas but if you do a wonderful excursion to take is to see the Penguins. The day we did this we wore all of the items mentioned above as it was both a chilly and windy day.

The key to all of this is to bring clothes that you can layer. But, you will find that with the exception of Buenos Aires and Valparaiso that when you are outdoors in the other ports that the temperature will likely range from the 40's to the 60's depending on how far south you are from these areas.

This is a wonderful cruise and one of the favorite places we have cruised so far. In fact, we will be back there again a few weeks after you are there.

Keith

Anniecat,

I knew you were on the same cruise with Clarice and I but I wasn't aware you were from Alameda. I just cruised around your little island last weekend and also take classes from the Woodworker Academy on Clements.

Bob

Anniecat,

Yes, Clarice and I are getting into BA on the morning of the 12th and are staying at the Hotel Claridge. We have booked several day tours and a Tango lesson, dinner, and show through Ricardco De Franco.

We have late seating on board and have only currently booked the Penguin Royalty tour in the Falklands.

Looking forward to meeting you.

Bob

• 2 weeks later...

As this is my first cruise I felt at a loss on arranging things at the various ports (ship trip costs appear high) and at BA and Santiago - three days at each end. Your postings helped to put it in perspective (what to wear and see), thanks. In BA the name Ricardco de Franco comes up as a tour/airport pickup guide. How does one make contact with him? In addition, how significant the delay in getting off the ship via tender when one does not make a trip with the boat company or have special conceirge status? What about getting back on in time, e.g how much time to allow if I make up my own tour on shore?

Thanks again

Archived