Transatlantic Westbound at sea weather

michael44

We are planning a westbound Transatlantic for the end of October and first 12 days of November w/ 6 at sea days after Funchal enroute to Miami.

Are there any CCers who have done this who can give us a reliable idea about what to expect at sea weather wil be? Is it warm enough to be at the pool or is it likely to be marginal at best?

Thanks for any info

Michael

We are planning a westbound Transatlantic for the end of October and first 12 days of November w/ 6 at sea days after Funchal enroute to Miami.

Are there any CCers who have done this who can give us a reliable idea about what to expect at sea weather wil be? Is it warm enough to be at the pool or is it likely to be marginal at best?

Thanks for any info

Michael

Look for Kitty 9's posts and also kewelguy-they both have. both are on the Celebrity board a good bit-so check over there.

I will do a westbound next year but I will be more north then you as my cruise ends in NJ. I understand the ocean can be rough. They say that on eastbounds the water is smoother-since those are usually in the spring.

I have done a Millennium transatlantic over the same time period(last week Oct - early Nov) in 2003. The weather was fantastic for us. We only had rain two nights (both when an outddoor midnight buffet was set up). The Connie cruised around the same time as us (they actually left the day before but ended up behind us due to the difference in European ports)and they had rain. Weather can vary each day as well as each year. It was warm in Maidera and pretty warm (but a little breezy) crossing as you leave Maideria and head southwest.

It's a roll of the dice as to weather. I did a similar crossing to yours and we hit the tail end of a hurricane, so the seas were really rough for four days and the weather was very rainy and chilly---no pool time at all. Another time we had really nice seas, but it was windy and not too warm. And a third time, we had seas of 40ft for quite a few days. A couple of interesting things about one of our crossings: we had just left Lisbon and the Captain got a distress call from a man who was sailing in a 35ft sailing yacht that was taking on water. We diverted and literally picked the man out of the ocean. We dropped him off in Madiera. One day later, a 99 year old woman, traveling with her 75 year old daughter, fell and broke her hip. We had to turn back and head for the Canary Islands, the closest place with a hospital. At 3am I heard the sound of a helicopter hovering over the ship and went to the Palm Court and watched them load the woman and her daughter onto the helicopter, off the bow of the ship. It was a pretty cool thing to see.

Archived