Costa Magica questions

sparky.mi

I have never cruised on Costa before only 8 Carnival cruises. Does Costa compare to Carnival on food and fun. We have a large group of about 40-50 going and we like to have a good time. I've read about no complimentary water at dinner and that the alcohol prices are higher when in port. Can anyone fill me in on the differences in the two. Anything will help. Thanks:(

Well lets see, we are heading out on our 3rd Costa cruise in March, so we like Costa pretty well. I guess it is up to your own preferences. If you like Italian living and dining you will love this cruise line, and if not, don't worry. There is complimentary water given at your table, though it is not bottled, for that you will have to pay. Alcohol is taxed at port, so it is more expensive in that manner but no other that we have seen. This line is a lot more laid back than Carnival but just because of the passengers who tend to be a bit older. You won't find any adult comics in a corner lounge late at nite, at least we haven't but make sure to check your daily newspapper and visit as many of the music makers as possible. All are not great but most are good. We had a calypso band at the pool this spring and they were very good and extremely lively. And as with any other cruise or cruise line, you get out of it what you put into it. P.S. It is worth the surcharge to go the speciality restaurant and get that extra special treatment a lot of us could never afford at home, plus the food is fresh, that is it hasn't been under a heat lamp and it is made to your specifications. Enjoy.

Well lets see, we are heading out on our 3rd Costa cruise in March, so we like Costa pretty well. I guess it is up to your own preferences. If you like Italian living and dining you will love this cruise line, and if not, don't worry. There is complimentary water given at your table, though it is not bottled, for that you will have to pay. Alcohol is taxed at port, so it is more expensive in that manner but no other that we have seen. This line is a lot more laid back than Carnival but just because of the passengers who tend to be a bit older. You won't find any adult comics in a corner lounge late at nite, at least we haven't but make sure to check your daily newspapper and visit as many of the music makers as possible. All are not great but most are good. We had a calypso band at the pool this spring and they were very good and extremely lively. And as with any other cruise or cruise line, you get out of it what you put into it. P.S. It is worth the surcharge to go the speciality restaurant and get that extra special treatment a lot of us could never afford at home, plus the food is fresh, that is it hasn't been under a heat lamp and it is made to your specifications. Enjoy.

makins summed it up nicely.

i would like to add that i had a ton of fun.

also, food is very subjective. packerscruising can give more info as him and i were on the same cruise, however he was traveling with a group like you. some liked the food, others didn't.

it is not your normal cruise fair food, or 'americanized' italian food. it is authentic italian food. many things italy and europe has which america has never seen. if you are expecting chicken parmesean in alfredo sauce you're wrong.

with that said let me reassure you that the food was excellent all the way around. some of the best italian food i've ever had (and i've had a lot).

-joe

thats a good additude. and if perhaps you are the burger and fries type of guy, or steak n chicken, thoes are always available. burgers and fries on the sun deck forward buffet and grilled chicken is alway an option for dinner. and i think there was a steak on the menu every night.

We had all the water we wanted at our table. Granted it was from a waiter's picture, and not the bottled water which was extra. Ice tea is complimentary as well. I did not notice any change in the price of drinks in port or at sea. Maybe that is a change sailing in European waters. We got the package deal for kids drinks and found that it really wasn't a deal at all. We ended using some of them for some tasty nonalcoholic banana milk shakes from the bar. FYI, we had no trouble bringing in soda in bottles that we loaded up in in Key West on the first day too.:)

It helps if you are a pizza person and/or a soft serve ice cream person as those are in abundance:)

I think Makins77 did a great job of summarizing. Having been on both Carnival and Costa, I'd take Costa anytime for the reasons mentioned. Joe being a young pup might have a different opinion after he goes on his Carnival cruise next month but there is no such thing as a bad cruise.:cool: OK maybe there is but I haven't been on one yet. :D The breakfast buffets are awesome and if you want something not on the menu, just ask.

Something you might want to check on since you have a larger group is to see if you can get a drink card. We didn't have one but some in our group did and it seems like a good deal.

Have a great cruise!

Archived