Portifino's or Chops

My DW and I will be sailing on the Serenade in September. We want to do at least one of the specialty restaurants. We both like trying new dishes and like both Italian and Steak house restaurants. If we go to only one, which would you suggest?

I've only been to Portifino so can't tell you about Chops, but can heartily recommend Portifino (we were on the Mariner in June). I was pleasantly surprised to find that they offered beef as well as Italian. As a matter of fact I had a filet for my main course and it was fork tender and delicious. The entire meal was fabulous, from beginning to end.

We ate at both during our 6/26 cruise on The Navigator. We absolutely loved Chops, the food was excellent and the service was outstanding :) We ate at Portfinos on the last night, and in our opinion, the food and service was good, just not as wonderful as Chops.

We ate dinner at Portofino's on the Radiance and I think it was the best meal we had on the ship. The food was wonderful and the dessert was to die for!! Remeber if you go for lunch it is half price and then maybe you can squeeze them both in. :)

Misty

I have eaten at both Portifinos and Chops on Brilliance twice each. Portifinos gets my vote hands down. What we usually get in restaurants like Portifinos in America is an American interpretation of Italian food. Portifinos is a Caribbean interpretation of Italian food.

This is the 1st I've seen re: lunch 1/2 price. Is this true on the Mariner? I thought they & Portofinos were dinner only. TIA

You're right. Both restaurants don't even open until at least 5:00 in the evening.

In my opinion, Chops is far and away better than Portofino's. I've had American-Italian and real Italian and the version served at Portofino's is neither. Not saying that it wasn't good, or better than the main dining room, but just not on the same level as Chops. The Lamb chops and veal chops were nothing short of fantastic. The service and attention we received was the best. I do think that either would be a good experience, but my vote still goes to Chops.

Stretch

Right Stretch, it ISN'T American-Italian. It is Caribbean Italian. Chops overcooked my DH's steak both times that we were there. We sent it back, the second time only and it didn't improve. The steak and shirmp dish at Portifinos was done to perfection. The steak was tender, flavorful and juicy. The shrimp were large, firm, tender and flavorful. My mouth is watering just remembering.

I should mention that I am partial to Caribbean food anyway. I also like good Italian American food. If I want Italian food I will go to Italy.

Archived