What is the best beach for kids - lttle divi?

Blossum

A second vote for Le Galion - calm water - very safe for kids.

BTW - you can see (and will) see topless women at ANY beach on St Martin (including Divi). You will not see nude people at Divi or at Le Galion.

Some locals who are keenly aware of water quality conditions would never go to Le Galion. From a oceanographic perspective this embayment (Baie de l'Embouchure) is very shallow with very little water exchange. Coupled with discharge into the bay from overland sources (especially from the adjacent salt pond - Etang aux Poissons) there is a significant probability of high concentrations of toxic contaminants in the near-shore and intertidal zone.

I just cruised with my daughter age 5, and it was suggested by the crew that we try the beach right down town across from the port (not sure of the name of the beach, so it may already have been mentioned in this thread).

We took the water taxi over from the port, which brought us right to the beach. I liked it a lot, calm waters, and was pleased we chose this destination. When you get off the ferry, and as you face town, you can go to the right or the left. Either way you will find restaurants or hotels offering lounge chairs and umbrellas for a price. We went to the left. I think if I did it again I might go to the right, as later I found there was live music on the beach in that direction.

Good luck.

Besides Le Galion, what other beaches would be good for small children? The children cruising with us are age 3, 4, and 6. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Thanks for asking the question. I was wondering as well. We will be on the Valor during Thanksgiving week with two grandsons, ages 3 and 5 1/2. When is your cruise? If it is before ours, I would appreciate your thoughts. It's our first time traveling with young children. Thanks again.

Thanks for asking the question. I was wondering as well. We will be on the Valor during Thanksgiving week with two grandsons, ages 3 and 5 1/2. When is your cruise? If it is before ours, I would appreciate your thoughts. It's our first time traveling with young children. Thanks again.

Sorry, our cruise is after yours. We are on the Radiance in December. Please let us know how your cruise went and if you have any recommendations. Any information you could provide is greatly appreciated.

Only the south end of Orient Beach is the nude section. There might be some topless people here & there. OB is a very very long beach -- so you can go there, enjoy the water & sand & still not have to deal with unclothed people.

I copied this from another thread so you can see what the beach looks like: "Here is a great photo/map to use to find a place to specify. Many of the cab drivers will recommend a specific place if you ask and tell them you want to be away from the nude section. http://home.carolina.rr.com/photos20...ntPanorama.htm"

"Be aware that it will cost you $10 or $15 PP for renting a chair and umbrella at the beach clubs. If you just want to lie on your towel then you can find a spot in between the clubs or further up the beach."

What's so GREAT about OB is beach itself: wonderful hard-packed sugar-like sand with easy in/out of water, little or no shells & coral, nice waves & warm water. Concentrate on the water & sand!!!

Another beach you might try is Dawn Beach on Dutch side & not as likely to see undressed people. (Orient is on French side.) Dawn is also shorter than OB. There is a Westin hotel either still under construction or newly finished. Mr. B's is a good place to go via taxi to access beach & still have a place to get beer or soft drinks.

On another "beach" thread, KAL posted a link to a list of all beaches on St. Maarten.

we need a clothing required beach for 2 girsl aged 5 and 10...we were thinking little divi? does anyone have any other ideas??? thanks!!!

We just came back on the CB and went with our two girls aged 9 and 11 to Little Divi. I would not recommend it. The beach is ok (but nothing like the beaches on St. Thomas!) but there is no shade unless you rent an umbrella for $5.00. Chairs are an additional $5.00 each. The waves were quite high - my youngest found those too much and ended up not going into the water after being knocked off her feet and going under a couple of times.

After Little Divi a cab dropped us off in the main shopping area of Phillipsburg and we saw the beach there, which is within walking distance of the ship. The water there looked much calmer and the beach was nice as well. Both my husband and I agreed that if we were to go again, we would simply walk to that beach.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived