Norway itinerary comparison

Linda-E

Hi Folks,

We are trying to compare two itineraries for Norway/North Cape next summer. What are the pros and cons of the ports on each of these? Any "must dos"?

Century ports:

Alesund, Alta, Honningsvag, Tromso, Molde, Olden, Bergen

Grand Princess ports:

Stavanger, Hellesylt, Geiranger, Trondheim, Honningsvag, Tromso, Flamm, Bergen

Thanks,

Linda

I would prefer the Princess itinerary. Unlike Globaliser, we were in Tromso on a Sunday and stayed on the ship. We couldn't see any reason to go ashore. You may find that opinion voiced elsewhere.

Flaam is not to be missed. The train ride is spectacular. Do a search on Flaam railway, it has been discussed before.

Actually, most of Norway is spectacular, you can hardly go wrong.

I have to rise in defense of Tromso - with respect, there are lots of things to see and do. My complaint is that some itineraries make Tromso a "short port" and leave too early. OTOH, the sailout, although not through a narrow, cliff-sided fjord, is one not to be missed - snow-covered mts, small, isolated fishing villages on the outlying islands, and, believe it or not, some with beautiful little sandy beaches even though they're far above the Arctic circle.

It is very easy to use the local buses in Tromso - there's a bus stop right outside the entrance to the pier where the larger cruiseships dock (some of the smaller ones and the Hurtigruten conveniently dock right in the city centre).

We always enjoy walking into the city centre by way of the Botanical Gardens near the pier (which are the furthest north in the world - the variety of plants they can grow is amazing - the garden gets better each year).

Just off the top of my head, if I had never been to Tromso before, and even if the ship was there on Sunday, I would definitely take the cable car up for the view (if the weather is clear - which is why I'd never book it as a shorex) and go to Polaria (admission included a great movie about Svalbard).

http://www.destinasjontromso.no/english/index.html

• 3 weeks later...

Last June on our Jewel cruise we stopped in Flam, Alesund and Bergen--all were great, but you MUST do the Flam RR tour.

Ours was an all-day trip starting with a motorcoach segment with a coffee break in the morning at an historic hotel up on the mountain with breathtaking views. (OK, pretty much everywhere you go in Nor. there are breathtaking views)

We had an included lunch (smorgasbord) at noon and then the train ride back to Flam--"amazing" doesn't describe it. Our friends had cruised AK with us in '03 and we all said, "OK this beats Alaska."

In Alesund we took the local trackless train up the mountainside to see more breathtaking views, including the beautiful Jewel in port. There was a local waterskiing in the fjord without a wetsuit--brrr! It was the only really cold day and we had sweatshirts and jackets and were still cold. Norwegians are tough!

In Begen we stayed down to earth and did our own walking tour of the city with emphasis on the waterfront fish market and other adjacent markets and ancient historic buildings.

All the stops were great. :D

The primary reason to go to Olden would be to see the glaciers which are primarily reached by bus tour. We went to olden on our August Century cruise. It's a beautiful place with lovely scenery very serene. Not a big activity place though.

• 1 month later...
Hi Folks,

We are trying to compare two itineraries for Norway/North Cape next summer. What are the pros and cons of the ports on each of these? Any "must dos"?

Century ports:

Grand Princess ports:

Thanks,

Linda

If you decide on the Grand Princess Norwegian Fjords and North Cape sailing from Southampton on 16th July 2007 then why not join the Roll Call which I have started for this sailing? There are quite a few of us there already and we have gradually gathered various snippets of information. There have been a lot of useful tips from LUVNORWAY who has posted on various threads about the various ports of call.

Regards from Suzanne (Suron) in Bristol, England

• 2 weeks later...
Hi Folks,

Century ports:

Grand Princess ports:

Thanks,

Linda

Good heavens - choices choices!

However the unmissable calls are Geiranger, Flaam and Stavanger.

Highly desirable would be Alesund and Honnigsvag.

Of those itineraries I'd go for the Princess one, assuming a Princess ship were okay.

Good heavens - choices choices!

However the unmissable calls are Geiranger, Flaam and Stavanger.

Highly desirable would be Alesund and Honnigsvag.

Of those itineraries I'd go for the Princess one, assuming a Princess ship were okay.

Alesund:

8018.jpg

Geiranger:

Geiranger-001.jpg

Midnatsol:

Midnatsol-a-1.jpg

Midnatsol at Alesund:

Midnatsol-002.jpg

Thank you Kindlychap and others who replied. Sounds like Geiranger and Flamm are winners! Suron, we will join your thread today. We're really looking forward to this cruise.

Any recommendations for "must sees" in these ports? We're definitely looking at the Flamm railroad.

Thanks. Happy holidays to all.

Linda

Thank you Kindlychap and others who replied. Sounds like Geiranger and Flamm are winners! Suron, we will join your thread today. We're really looking forward to this cruise.

Any recommendations for "must sees" in these ports? We're definitely looking at the Flamm railroad.

Thanks. Happy holidays to all.

Linda

There really isn't anything to do at Flaam save the railway, and looking around you.

Geiranger is much the same - views.

Both are staggeringly lovely though. It's worth going to the top of the mountain at Geiranger, or at least to Eagles Bend, from which you can see the Suitor and Seven Sisters waterfalls.

Alesund is just a very nice place - you'd want to get to the top of the hill (from whence I took the photo of Queen Elizabeth 2) but the main joy is seeing the lovely art deco buildings. There is an interesting museum in the old Apothecary. Don't bother with the woolen shop - it's a long trek unless you've arrived by the Hurtigruten (which docks the other side of the town to the main dock) and very small.

I love Norway - and I'd add that one of the reasons to use the Hurtigruten is sitting in the forward lounge looking out, with the view over the Bridge. If you're a ship enthusiast then you'll also be interested to know you can visit the Bridge on the Hurtigruten, which is becoming unheard of on other ships.

Archived