To Canadian Cruisers

Procajlo

I usually bought my travel (medical/trip cancellation) insurance through Belair Direct in Toronto. I just discovered they are no longer selling travel insurance. Can you recommend an insurance carrier that sells travel insurance with trip cancellation coverage. Any suggestions? Any experience with claims?

Thanks for your responses.

Do you have a group benefit plan through your company? If so you should have Travel Insurance for Health.

If you need full coverage, can try (and use) either John Ingle or the Manulife Health Plan 1-800-Coverme

Should do the trick....

Trip Cancellation can be bought right through your TA

AnthonyF - thanks for your reply. My particular interest is in the trip cancellation. I cannot buy trip cancellation through TA since my reservation is booked directly through X. I will contact X insurance. Any other suggestions? Thanks.

Mosaik Mastercard offers trip cancellation insurance for $60. a year unlimited trips but you must charge part of the trip on the card. Have had to claim twice from them , once lost bags and the Jetsgo fiasco, excellent service. They have medical too but I don't need it, you may want to inquire.

If you are looking into the insurance offered by your credit card company, make sure to read all the info on the maximum coverage amount, some of them have an upper limit as to the amount that they will covered.

A good point but not, I think, limited to credit card plans. Most plans have some sort of limit, either per claim and/or lifetime.

PCFinancial offers Travel insurance (medical and trip cancellation) - if you click on "Plan Details" on the left panel, it describes the coverage that you can purchase: http://www.pcinsurance.ca/ROCEN/TI.asp?referid=leftnav

I have coverage through my credit card (Citibank Gold MC - the coverage was grandfathered in from my Canada Trust MC when they merged with TD), so the PCF info above is not a recommendation as I'm not familiar with it - although I am a fan of PCF banking :)

Hi there,

This past August, I obtained TD Canada Trust's Travel Insurance. I obtained the highest annual coverage. For our family of four, ranging from 45--12 years of age, it cost us $395 CAN. This includes annual medical and cancellation insurance for trips up to and including 17 days. So we can travel all year with this coverage. I don't have the website but I am sure if you google it, you'll find it.

Teri

Hi there,

This past August, I obtained TD Canada Trust's Travel Insurance. I obtained the highest annual coverage. For our family of four, ranging from 45--12 years of age, it cost us $395 CAN. This includes annual medical and cancellation insurance for trips up to and including 17 days. So we can travel all year with this coverage. I don't have the website but I am sure if you google it, you'll find it.

Teri

I just purchased insurance from PC insurance. Their website is not user frienly nor complete. It was only buy telephone did I learn that to purchase the cruise protection insurance you have to first purchase the comprehensive plan either on line of through the phone agent and then ppurchase the cruise protection from the agent only by phone.

The agents I spoke with were helpful and friendly. The coverage was better than what Berlkey through the cruiseline offered and price competative.

Thanks everybody for all your input. I have narrowed it down to TD Travel Insurance (annual $395.00) and PC Travel Insurance (annual $419.00) for the three of us. I am now checking and comparing the fine print of the policies closely. At first glance I discover one point - PC covers trip cancellation due to job loss - TD does not. Neither one requires purchase of policy at a certain time of booking (e.g. 72 hours, 7 or 14 days upon deposit) which was my concern. I can take my time to check over both policies.

Once again - thanks to everybody who responded. Your information was very much appreciated.

Neither one requires purchase of policy at a certain time of booking (e.g. 72 hours, 7 or 14 days upon deposit) which was my concern.

I am going through the challenge of finding insurance as well and was surprised by the 48 or 72 hour after deposit limitation. I am leaning towards PC, but note that there is a time limitation based on the final payment so it is probably best to secure the insurance just before the final payment.

Archived