Denali bus questions

luvz2run2000

We have one complete day set aside for a bus tour in Denali. The more research I do, the more confused I get. Can some of you share which bus tour of Denali you took and if you'd recommend it to others? We want to see the scenary and hopefully some wildlife, but hubby isn't the physical activity kind of guy so hiking is out of the question.

There is the Natural History Tour - only goes 16-18 miles into the park. Forget it.

There is the Tundra Wilderness Tour. Goes further into the park and gives you a snack and beverage but costs something like $90. Has good commentary but expensive. They go to about mile 50 (a bit further when the mountain is out).

There are the shuttle busses. They can go as far as Wonder Lake (mile 85), many go to Fish Creek (mile 63). Cost depends on how far you go but in 2006 Fish Creek cost $24.25 and Wonder Lake cost $33.25. The shuttle busses are not "guided" but the bus drivers have years of experience and offer a lot of commentary, in my experience. I would greatly prefer the shuttle busses over the tours since they go further into the park and are far less expensive.

If you are going in June or July, the mosquitos can be bad at Wonder Lake. But if the mountain is out, it is well worth it - just bring 100% DEET and/or a mosquito net. Otherwise, going to Fish Creek is a good choice. Fish Creek usually takes 7-8 hours round trip, Wonder Lake takes 10-11 hours round trip. I try to get an early bus when I go.

The shuttle busses don't provide food, so you just bring your own with you.

If you have any other questions, feel free to post them.

John

Guest garden4cook

I stayed at the Kantishna Roadhouse 95 miles deep into Denali this past July 5,6,7 for 3 nights (one of about 4 private roadhouses near Wonder Lake)...took their own bus from the Denali train station to Kantishna, with their own driver/tour guide. They tell you soooooo much and know how to look for wildlife.

For you...they have the same bus tour that takes you all the way to Kantishna Roadhouse and you get the same tour as we had...stay for a nice luncheon as well as a demo on dog mushing...then catch the tour bus back to the train station. I do not recall the price, but am sure it is pricy. I guess the point I am making is that a tour or having someone spot wildlife and explain stuff along the way is a good thing. Afterall, why pay to go to Alaska and skinp on an important tour into beautiful Denali. We were there - both outside and inside the park, for 6 days...was not until our final full day there and on the way out of Denali(Kantishna Roadhouse) - we saw Mt. McKinley - a beautiful view at 7am and got some drop dead photos of her too!!!!

A bus ride early in/out as possible will give you more chance of wildlife viewing. We saw everything on our bus ride in/out of Kantishna.

Go, and do not skimp.

Thanks luvz for asking that question! And thanks fti for that info!! That's something I've REALLY been wondering about! I understand from other posts that you can get off whenever you want? Do you ever have a problem getting a shuttle back when you want to turn around?? I was worried about being in the boonies and not being able to get back! :D How far ahead to we need shuttle reservations?

Thanks luvz for asking that question! And thanks fti for that info!! That's something I've REALLY been wondering about! I understand from other posts that you can get off whenever you want? Do you ever have a problem getting a shuttle back when you want to turn around?? I was worried about being in the boonies and not being able to get back! :D How far ahead to we need shuttle reservations?

When I go to Denali, I usually stay several days but it sounds from the OP's post she only has one day. I personally would love to stay at the Skyline Lodge sometime - just on the outskirts of Kantishna and MUCH cheaper than the other places in Kantishna.

Yes, on the shuttle busses you can get off wherever you want and get back on another bus. Sometimes you have to wait for a second bus because the first one is full, but if there are just two of you, it should not be too bad. I generally suggest going as far into the park as you plan to go and get off on your way back. You can catch any shuttle bus, including the camper busses, to bring you back. Generally the camper busses are less crowded.

The park service will not leave anyone in the park who does not want to stay there overnight. They emphasize that repeatedly. I think it is great to get off the bus even if just for a while - do some easy walking on the tundra or along the road. Much of the road is relatively flat though there are definitely some very steep portions too. There is also some good hiking near Wonder Lake, near Stony Hill and other places if that interests you. I hiked around Stony Hill (actually a mountain anywhere else besides Alaska!) and it was moderately stressful - with some uphill hiking.

If you take a tour, you are also allowed to get off that bus then get on any shuttle bus to bring you back to the entrance but very, very few people get off the tour busses.

Getting on the earliest bus from the entrance (sometimes as early as 5.15am) is mostly advantageous because it gives you more opportunity to see Mt. McKinley. It is often visible early in the morning or later in the evening but gets clouded over during the day. I stayed at Wonder Lake last summer with some friends and another friend stayed at the park entrance. She took a 5.15am shuttle bus arriving at Wonder Lake about 10.30am. She saw Mt. McKinley but by noon or 1pm it was clouded over for the rest of the day. If you took a much later shuttle bus, you would have missed seeing it.

You can begin making shuttle bus reservations on Dec 1 online. Phone reservations begin in February. Either reserve at least a couple of months or more in advance or call 2 days before arrival since they hold something like 35% of the seats back until then. If your plans are pretty firm, it would be to your advantage to book early. www.nps.gov/dena. I am planning on going online on Dec 1 for my own reservations for next year.

Thanks for the info. This is really the only part of our trip that we don't have nailed down yet. We know what we plan to do in each port during the cruise and where we are going to spend our post-cruise days. We know we have an entire day (plus the next morning) for Denali, just want to make the most of it.

Thanks for the great info on this. I know you said that the mosquitoes are bad at Wonder Lake. I have seen others advise against going to the area in June, instead making the final destination Fish Creek. However, when the shuttle bus gets to Wonder Lake, does it stop for a short period of time before turning back? In other words, could I get the bus to Wonder Lake, get off for a few miniutes (running from the mosquitoes), get back on and stop off for a longer time at Fish Creek or does the extra time on the bus not make a lot of sense for just a few minutes at Wonder Lake?

Thanks for the great info on this. I know you said that the mosquitoes are bad at Wonder Lake. I have seen others advise against going to the area in June, instead making the final destination Fish Creek. However, when the shuttle bus gets to Wonder Lake, does it stop for a short period of time before turning back? In other words, could I get the bus to Wonder Lake, get off for a few miniutes (running from the mosquitoes), get back on and stop off for a longer time at Fish Creek or does the extra time on the bus not make a lot of sense for just a few minutes at Wonder Lake?

The bus stops at Wonder Lake for something like 20-30 minutes before turning around. The road between Fish Creek and Wonder Lake is prime area for moose viewing.

You can also go as far as Wonder Lake and take a different (i.e. later) bus back toward Fish Creek if you want. If the mountain is out, you will not regret going as far as Wonder Lake.

One of the rest stops (Toklat?) sold mosquito nets for $2-$3 if you want them. Honestly, though there were a lot of mosquitos (and I camped there for three nights, so I should know!), if you are prepared they won't really affect you. Rangers plaster themselves with 100% DEET and don't even use the nets.

If the mountain is out and it is a clear day, you might consider getting off the bus at the junction where the road splits between Kantishna and the Wonder Lake campground (the busses go to the Wonder Lake campground). Then walk about 1/4 mile toward Kantishna to Reflection Pond. Great photos from there of Mt. McKinley with a reflection in the pond. Then walk back to the junction and pick up the bus again.

If the mountain is out and it is a clear day, you might consider getting off the bus at the junction where the road splits between Kantishna and the Wonder Lake campground (the busses go to the Wonder Lake campground). Then walk about 1/4 mile toward Kantishna to Reflection Pond. Great photos from there of Mt. McKinley with a reflection in the pond. Then walk back to the junction and pick up the bus again.

One more if: If there is no wind, you'll see no reflection of the great one when its windy!

Take the Tundra Wilderness Tour. We took it this past August and it was great. It took 7-8 hours and well worth it, although we didn't get to see McKinley...but we saw tons of wildlife. Once you get on the bus you have your seat for the entire trip. The bus stops 5 or 6 times for bathroom breaks at some nice scenic overlooks, as well as a pretty neat shop at the turnaround (I'm in the museum shop business so it was a treat to stop there). At the end of our trip, our driver gave us a nice color booklet with various pictures of Denali. I thought it was a very nice touch.

Also add to the shuttle prices, $10pp Park fees, I NEVER recommend the Tundra Wilderness tour for any independent visitors, if that is your distance priority, mile 53, take the Tolkat Shuttle. But my min. recommendation is Fish Creek. mile 63. As for Wonder Lake, I don't go there before mid August, the bugs drive me crazy. All my Wonder Lake trips have had about a 45 min. stop there. Bathroom breaks are about every 1 1/2 hours.

There are cancelation fees for any bus ticket changes. I do see people jumping on the first available reservation opportunity to only keep reading and adjusting their itinerary, There is no need for the early booking if your plans are not fixed. :) They hold back 35% of all shuttle bus seats and release them 2 days prior. Just call at 7am and you can get on any bus you want. I've done it the last few years.

Archived