Carnival 1 day scam..so it seems

steveaaaa

I just decided to check on a price for an upcoming cruise this January that I have already booked for the Miracle. The difference in price since I booked it and todays rates is a whopping $641 and this is for an inside cabin. When I looked last month it was about $450 more so simply the rates have increased about the same cost as the 2 cat upgraded offered.

Steve

We have found that this has been the case for most of the "BIG" sales. I checked our cruise price for December on Monday and it was basically the same as when we booked. Checked yesterday and the price had gone up over $200 per person.

Aww, I don't think it's a 'scam', just a promo.

They offer many, many different promos during the year - too many to count. Some ARE very good deals for certain folks. Some, like you, it doesn't benefit at all. I check the info in the emails they send me, but usually do better just calling the PVP when I'm ready to book another cruise. I've never seen an absolutely fantastic offer I couldn't refuse.;)

However, I have gotten a rate reduction on an already booked cruise - just by calling about the "one day" or other sales, so all in all, it's not a bad thing to get these emails.

Cotton,

I agree with what you are saying, but in checking the "one Day Sale" posts this time, everybody seems to be saying you can't get credit/upgrades on your trip with the one day sale this time. Any idea why that might be? I'm still having my TA check on it, but I'm afraid I will not be successful as some have been in the past.

I was pissed because I had registered at Carnival had a password I could remember (my daughter's first and middle names abbreiviated) and the stupid thing kept daying I had the wrong password. I sent them an e-mail and they sent me a NEW password of about 15 numbers. I TOLD THEM there was NO WAY I could remember a password like that and to just forget it and they better not have any high pressure salespersons contact me by phone.

As far as Miracle going up in price- last winter she was reasonable-we took a 3 day mini on her out of Jacksonville this past April. We had such a good time we wanted to book her out of Tampa. I was shocked to see the prices had DOUBLED. I have friends who are on her Thankgiving week. They booked last fall and have an inside cabin for around $500 a person that week.

I think the problem is the ship is so popular she is selling out fast and that is driving the price up. That is why prices go up and down it depends on how well the ship is selling.

Anyway I posted a great review after we got home back in April. Then about a week later when I checked prices to book her they had almost doubled from like 2 weeks before. Anyway I know it wasn't just me but all of us posting what a great time we had ofcourse encouraged others too book her. So I guess we would have done better to keep our mouths shut.

Anyway we really loved her. I am sure you will to. By the way we booked her right before her maiden voyage which was only 6 weeks before our cruise. We had an guarantee 8A but was upgraded to an 8D an extended balcony. We talked to a couple who had only booked 3 weeks before the cruise had the 8A room we had booked as a guarantee and paid $500 more then we did. I did not expect to be upgraded booking that cuise as late as we did so chances are you will be upgraded too since the price has gone up as much as it has.

Cotton,

Any idea why that might be?

Betsy, as it happens, I'm planning on calling my PVP this aftn. I'll see if this might benefit me for my Nov. cruise. I'll report back on this thread after I talk with her. :)

Cotton,

Any idea why that might be?

Betsy, as it happens, I'm planning on calling my PVP this aftn. I'll see if this might benefit me for my Nov. cruise. I'll report back on this thread after I talk with her. :)

Cotton,

Thanks for checking. I have received no less than 5 emails from Carnival this week. Not only are they advertising a one day sale, but also but past guest/on-board credits. If you check w/your TA, then I can compare notes to see if what they are saying is true. Appreciate you checking.

I know this is not exactly relevant to this thread.But you guys should consider yourselves pretty lucky.We booked Rhapsody on RCI for Sept. (you know,cheaper prices :p ) I was lucky to find a one or 2 day price drop on priceline.We had to settle for an inside,at 400 pp.Great price and I am pretty happy.The only reason I did not book Elation is I really don't care for the itinerary.I kept thinking I could upgrade after final payments were due..

Right now,no insides available.Oceanview are 859,balconies are 1399 (i paid 729 same sailing last year for a D1 balcony).At least with Carnival,you have some hope of a sale....:rolleyes: Happy Sailing all.

What good is a sale when they don't reward or penalize current customers?

This is the crap that I never liked. You could years in advance and once you make final payment, they lower the rates beter than you paid. It always seems to happen when the penalty of cancelling and rebooking cost's more than the perk.

CCL's new reservations only is poor. Why can't you cancel and rebook?? If the deal is better that should be your option.not theirs.

Steve

brn2crz, I am typically a Royal Caribbean cruiser but I chose Carnie this time because of my 18 month old daughter. She will be 24 months old when the cruise starts. Camp Carnie's program goes down to 2 year old and Royal Caribbean's program starts at 3. My wife and I will get some personal as well as family time on the Carnie cruise.

What a wonderful joke Carnival has pulled this time!

I checked the pricing on a cruise that had "normal" pricing yesterday and this is what I found for a family of 4 on the Miracle:

4A Inside stateroom - $3396

6A Oceanview stateroom - $3696

7A Obstructed Balcony - $2856 - (but no upgrades from this category)

8A Balcony stateroom - $3996

8I Extended Balcony stateroom - $4236

9A Deluxe Balcony - $3816

11 Mini-suite - $4016

They have increased the prices so much that the 8A is now selling for $180 more than the 9A, and the 8I is selling for $220 more than a SUITE! :eek:

CARNIVAL! Give us a break!! :mad: Do you really think that we are that DUMB??? :eek: I thought April fool's day only came once a year! They get us talking about this sale then INSULT US!

It would really depend on how well your cruise is sailing. The Legend- 6 a is cheaper then an inside. Looking at the Facination in OCtober. Same thing--ocean views are less then inside.

I also received several e-mails about this so called sale!

BPC beat my PVP's price, any agent can give the upgrade.

I was very disppointed in the prices quoted.

Its only good if your looking for a 2 cat upgrade. :eek:

I've never seen a "sale" that was any better than what you could find somewhere else. They usually raise the price on the day of the sale or say that the sale price is off brochure price (which we all know is ridiculous). The "ugrade" is ridiculous to me as well. Moving up a deck isn't an upgrade to me. Inside to oceanview, oceanview to balcony or balcony to suite would be the only thing that I would consider to be an upgrade.

I compare during every sale and the sale prices have never been better than the price I had already booked.

If they WON'T post the prices, with the ship, the itinerary and the date, I just can't get interested. :D

I agree with Christi, if there is not a category "jump", its just not an upgrade to me. Moving up in decks doesn't mean very much, if anything. :rolleyes:

Ditto. I would consider being moved up a penalty not an upgrade. Less movement lower on a ship. I booked the lowest extended balcony deck. If I chose an outside. The bottom of the ship is fine with me.

Stefanie

I just called to get a price quote on the Miracle sailing 3/27/05. The price was a little pricey, but when I inquire about the "2" catagory upgrade. She stated that it didn't pertain to this sailing. I get a hundred e-mails in reference to this so called great sale And to quote their e-mail:

Free Upgrades!

Receive a FREE two-category upgrade when you beat the rush and book your "Fun Ship" vacation. You'll save up to $120 per person on virtually every cruise between September 2004 and December 2005.

The ONE cruise I'm interested in is not included in this promo. Go Figure!!! What a joke!!! But that's okay, I sail on RCI next month, I will just book onboard, on one of their ships for the same time period.

I've been price checking for our cruise next year since we got back from our Glory cruise at the end of May. I am keeping a log in a Word document of cruises I'm watching prices on for next year -- a few different ships, and prices in all categories. The prices today are exactly the same as they have been since the end of May, but with the two category upgrade. Not really a sale, just a promotion with the "free upgrades". We get better upgrades by booking IS or BL cabins, and the price is usually cheaper than booking a 4A or 8A.

Usually I agree on the Big one sales, but today I did get a good deal for us, booked the Glory for December 11th for $799 per person for a 8B. I had been watching that ship and could not find anything under $850. So I think I got a good deal, got to chose a cabin, also, we like to be off the back of ship, so for me today, I was happy, but like everyone says, most of the time it is not a sale

Sometimes those e-mails they send out can have good specials. I was planning eithor a 3-4 day ccl or a rccl cruise in late aug for the whole family; then one day I get an e-mail from ccl stating that they have a resident special ( I am in Ga) for a 5 day cruise in july for 399pp. Needless to say I jumped on that deal. The total price for 5 of us for the 5 nighter was in the same price range as the 3-4 nighters and this one leaves from a port much closer to the house. I also checked to see what this cruise is selling for now, it is $729pp for a 4A. This is the 1st cruise that I have booked through the cruise line, so far it doesn't seem to be any different than booking through a TA or a website.

Archived