What a Scare - Plane Crash near our Port

osiebosie

I had an employee call me and say, "turn on your tv. Planes are crashing into buildings in New York City." With my heart in my throat, BJ and I checked the news, but it turned out that a small cessna-type plane crashed into an apartment building in Manhattan.

Our first thoughts were, selfishly, "there goes the cruise". We are set to sail out of Port Liberty on Monday on the Constellation. Of course, immediately, I thought it was terrorists, and I was also concerned for the people involved. I hate to admit it, but it was with a sigh of relief that we realized it was an accident. Relief that we are not going through 9/11 again, and relief that we should be able to cruise this Monday.

I wonder if this will change anything at the airports.

Shay

I just read that the plane is equipped as such that the entire plane can land with a parachute, but unfortunately he was an inexperienced pilot and made a grave error. I thought I read he was alone in the 4 seater plane, so the other 3 persons were probably in the building. :(

Mayor Bloomberg stated there were two people on the plane, Lidle and his instructor. The plane has a parachute the news reported.

Two people were in the apartment when plane hit but survived. They were in the back of apartment and left immediately when they heard the crash.

Lidle also played in 1997 for the NY Mets.

You're right, it's not appropriate now. But when we thought our cruise was going to be affected, in addition to our nation being under attack, it was a little frightening. I am a little po'd at the person who called me and phrased it that way. Maybe she didn't know what was really going on, but it scared the crap out of me and BJ.

Thank goodness all is well. I am sorry for the people who died in the crash.

Shay

I'm not sure I'd say Port Liberty is near the crash site. The midtown pier and Red Hook are closer. I guess if you are not familiar with the area, and look at it on a map, the reaction is the locations are close.

I live in the New York metropolitan area, & when the first reports came in around 3 p.m. yesterday, everyone's immediate thoughts turned to terrorism and a possible repeat of 9/11. All the local TV stations carried non-stop live reports from the scene, and just from looking at the pictures of the burning building (limited to a few apartments in a rather large building) it was clear that this incident was nowhere near the scale of what happened at the WTC.

Within an hour or so of the first reports, Mayor Bloomberg & other local authorities had confirmed that this was a tragic accident, and from that point on it was treated as such. The fact that one of the two people killed in the crash was a baseball player who just a few days ago was embroiled in a minor local controversy in the aftermath of the Yankees' elimination in the playoffs has lent the whole episode a somewhat surreal air.

Fortunately there were only two fatalities (the two occupants of the aircraft), and no injuries to anyone in the building or on the ground. Several firefighters were later taken to the hospital (presumably for treatment for smoke inhalation and/or other injuries that typically can occur in the course of fighting a fire of this type), but from the reports I've heard, none of the injuries are life-threatening.

There have been no reports whatever of any delays or cancellations at any of the major airports (LaGuardia, JFK, Newark) as a consequence of this accident. Ironically, it may be that the plane crashed while attempting to avoid restricted airspace around LaGuardia; but the NTSB's investigation is still in the early stages. Any future changes in flight patterns most likely would involve restrictions on small private aircraft, which (as I understand it) currently are allowed to fly directly over the Hudson and East Rivers but not over Manhattan itself.

Anyone flying into or out of any of the three major airports or visiting New York in the next few days has anything to worry about, other than the usual inconveniences.

Anyone flying into or out of any of the three major airports or visiting New York in the next few days has anything to worry about, other than the usual inconveniences.

Of course that should have been, "Anyone flying into or out of the three major airports or visiting New York in the next few days has nothing to worry about, other than the usual inconveniences." My fingers were ahead of my brain there.:)

we are flying into Newark, but that seems close to NYC to me according to the map.

Well, Newark is close to NYC on the map & in actual geographic terms, but of course "close" is a relative term. In point of fact, the scene of the accident, East 72nd Street in Manhattan, is nowhere near Newark Liberty International Airport, though I suppose a determined pilot could fly from one point to another in just a few minutes--but that's to do with the speed of aircraft, not any real proximity.

For what it's worth, Lidle's plane had taken off from Teterboro Airport, which is just a few miles north of EWR. Teterboro handles mainly private aircraft (anything from single-engine prop planes to Lear Jets & Gulfstreams--& possibly a few commercial commuter aircraft, but don't quote me on that.)

On a happier note: Enjoy your cruise on the Connie! She's a wonderful ship with a terrific crew. And getting to Bayonne from Newark International is a snap.

I had an employee call me and say, "turn on your tv. Planes are crashing into buildings in New York City." With my heart in my throat, BJ and I checked the news, but it turned out that a small cessna-type plane crashed into an apartment building in Manhattan.

Our first thoughts were, selfishly, "there goes the cruise". We are set to sail out of Port Liberty on Monday on the Constellation. Of course, immediately, I thought it was terrorists, and I was also concerned for the people involved. I hate to admit it, but it was with a sigh of relief that we realized it was an accident. Relief that we are not going through 9/11 again, and relief that we should be able to cruise this Monday.

I wonder if this will change anything at the airports. Shay

Easy answer. Nope.

Archived