Upgrade after room assignment?

kittikat

I do not understand about the upgrades sometimes offered. My room is already assigned, so does that mean there is no chance I will be offered an upgrade? If it does happen do they let you know before your cruise or do you find out at check in? I am very happy with the cabin I have, but it would be cool to get in a better one! Happy cruising everyone!

I'm new too but from what i have read they say that sometimes they give you an upgrade but its only by the CAT meaning that you are in say "BC" then you get upped to a "BB" but it may not be where you would like so if you really like where you are you have to say no upgrade. They also have said that you can be upgraded up until the day you leave so it can still happen. this is what I understand if i am wrong please correct me but I have seen this about five times already.

I too have just got my room assignment on the grand I called and told them not to upgrade it as I really like the location.

If you booked a specific cabin, then the cruise line is supposed to contact your travel agent to offer an upgrade. In reality, travel agents sometimes don't receive the faxes or emails, and then the cruise line goes ahead and upgrades you--sometimes to a cabin you don't want.

If you definitely want a specific cabin, ask your travel agent to mark your booking "no upgrades."

For a guarantee booking, the cruise line can change your cabin as long as you receive the category you booked or higher. Most of the time, once the cabin assignment has been made it won't be changed. Occasionally, however, cabin assignments do change after they've been made. You can ask for "no upgrade" after the cabin assignment has been made if you booked a guarantee, but the cruise line still can change your cabin--and not necessarily to a higher category, as long as you receive at least the guarantee level of cabin.

It used to be that people did not find out their cabin assignments with guarantee cabins until they received their docs a few weeks before their cruise, and sometimes not until they got to the pier. Nowadays, it's easier to find out by signing in to the Cruise Personalizer (on Princess) and the websites of the other cruise lines.

Ye,you Have A Good Chance Still,but You Proberly Wont Find Out Until You Get There.when You Say Cat Upgrade What That Means Is You May Get The Same Type Of Room You Booked But In A Different Location On The Ship,it Is Possible To Get A Type Of Room Upgrade Also.the Last Cruise We Went On We Booked A Inside Gty. And When We Got There We Had A Nice Oceanview Room.pleasant Surprise!good Luck!

we just received our documents and have guarantee, but NO cabin number. Does that mean we will find out once we get the the ship?

Thanks

Not necessarily. There is a good chance you will be able to see your actual cabin assignment accessing the Princess Personalizer before it closes (5 days prior to your cruise). Also, if you booked directly with Princess, just give them a call before you leave, or contact your TA to do this if you booked through someone else. Most cabins are assigned at least a few days before sailing. There are exceptions of coarse, and some do not find out until they board, but it is very rare.

I do not understand about the upgrades sometimes offered. My room is already assigned, so does that mean there is no chance I will be offered an upgrade? If it does happen do they let you know before your cruise or do you find out at check in? I am very happy with the cabin I have, but it would be cool to get in a better one! Happy cruising everyone!

We rec'd an upgrade after room assignment on Sapphire Princess last April. Found out about it the night before we left for the cruise. Went from an ocean view to a balcony (can't remember category).

when we book we first decide what cabin type we want(balcony)then we work with ta to see whats available,then we choose the room,and lock it in,that way theres no surprises lol:)),but everyone has a different way,if you like the room you have you should call and lock it in,if not then wait and see what you get,the main thing is your going on a cruise :)))))so enjoy and have a good time,and dont expect everything to be perfect,just roll with it and you will have a great time:));)

Thanks for the info. All I know for sure was that we have a balcony, but TA said we would be assigned cabin later??

I guess I should have gone through princess?

I didn't know that once you do have a cabin you can choose not to upgrade (some people say it's not exactly upgrade sometimes)

Everyone has been great on here. Except for the occasional bickering:p

Thanks again!

It was annoying, the first time they tried to move me, I called my travel agent immediately and said no upgrade. They called Princess and my TA said- that's a great cabin on the Lido deck, blah, blah, blah. I didn't want to be at the front of the ship where this "upgrade" was because that is where you feel the most movement. I said I picked my cabin specifically because it was aft and shared only one wall with another passenger. Next thing I know I get my cruise documents with yet another cabin. I called Princess directly and they got the old cabin back. At this point I called my TA and they said that you have to say "no upgrade". I thought I had made myself clear the first time.

I don't know if this is in fine print somewhere but everyone should know about this. I think Princess must get many calls about upgrade concerns.:(

Archived