Does Princess hate Chocolate!?!

WK-Orlando

I like it when my ship offers the Love Boat Dream on the always available menu, but this is not always the case. Some ships offer it only on the last night. In May of 2005, I was on the Diamond (I think), and when I asked the first night when it would be, they said they were not having it at all! I was horrified! The look on my face must have been priceless, becasue the head waiter came over and offered to make it special the next night. Well, not only did I get one, but all 4 of us at the table did, and we then each got one EVERY NIGHT the entire cruise. It was very sweet of them to do that, I must say.

As far as the "Chocolate Fudge Cake with Chantilly Cream" cake on the room service menu, here is what I have discovered. The ONLY ship that knows how to make it right is the Sapphire. All 3 times I have been on it, I have gotten a gorgeous peice of moist cake with an inch of fudge icing and whipped cream. My friend was salvating over my picture of it, and when we went on the Sun a few months later, we ordered it and got a dry, hard brownie like thing with nuts! I called and complained, and they said that WAS the menu item. Not only was there no fudge or cream, but I was shocked that they would have nuts on something with no mention of it on the menu.

Every time I am onboard a ship, I always test order it and it has never been mor than a dry cake-brownie kind of thing. I would think that they would use some similar recipes ship-to-ship, but this is not the case. I complain every time on my comment card, and tell them to call the Sapphire to see how it is done!

Casey

I will say that on the Island Princess for the Holidays I was hard pressed to find a decent slice of chocolate cake. I agree that the cake they had was dry & flavorless. Missed the Love Boad Dream in the dining room.... but I do agree with the OP to an extent. Most of the chocolate desserts that I did try weren't great. I was QUITE surprised. Then again, I tend to be a chocolate snob. :)

I agree with you and the OP We did try the Love Boat Dream on the Golden last year and were very disappointed! IT was dry and not at all sweet...we have decided that sweet chocolate is a southern thing. Actually, what we have noticed on Princess and Carnival and the two Sandals resorts that we have been to, the deserts are not as sweet as we are used to. I am going to bring some chocolate with me from now on.....

On the Golden, however, we did the one midnight buffet and there were some really good chocolate cakes, etc. but we never found that kind onboard again....

Just off the Diamond, and I have to agree that there were very few chocolate yummies. Yes, chocolates on my pillow at night, but very few choices at dinner. I had the Love Boat Dream the first night and it tasted as if it had been waiting for me in the refrigerator for the last three weeks. Everyone at our table tasted it and said it tasted old. I searched high and low for an extra rich chocolately dessert but came up short on the Diamond. Hoping for more on the Grand....

Twice on the CB (embarkation buffet and at least one dinner) they had an absolutely decadent "to die for" chocolate fudgy dessert in the Horizon Court .. they were different but amazingly good and rich -- just the way I like 'em...

Actually they have (or had) chocoholic buffet on NCL and it was not that great chocolate-wise...

I do like the dessert souffles on Princess but the more chocolate and cheesecake the better.. btw the pumpkin cheesecake at buffet is really good as is key lime cheesecake..

ah, yes.. I love dessert:D

Add me to the list of people wondering what all the fuss is about with the Love Boat Dream. In fact, I'm not sure dessert in general is Princess's forte (I can get a better New York cheescake from the freezer aisle at Costco). But those souffles...OMG, they are worth the price of the cruise alone. I've yet to meet a Princess souffle I didn't love.

Part of what we've learned with Princess is that there is a definite difference between ships regarding the desserts available in the buffet. The Sea Princess and the Diamond Princess both had wonderful buffet desserts at lunch (a special table set up)...the Sea Princess meringue display was pretty incredible. But I suspect this is very chef-specific. That might explain why one person finds an abundance of chocolate desserts on their Princess cruise while someone else wonders why there weren't any, and why the special display dessert offerings change so dramatically over time.

I think I see the problem here. Is is defining what is a chocolate desert and what is a destert with a little chocolate... :rolleyes:

On this ride, as with the last few, the best and only choc source is on my pillow at night. Although, I will try the hot chocolate after dinner, just not into hot drinks in the carib summer... :o

Not asking for much, a good choc pudding, cake, or even the ellusive choc chip cookie which seems to have dissapeared from all but room service and is completly without taste....

Oh well, will have to take to bringing my own supplies from the stops.

Maybe Carnival. Each cruise that I have gone on has more and more chocolate deserts. The chocolate buffet, served in the afternoon of the last sea day has now become something worthy of accolades!

On my last cruise, they added a station where they dip any type of fruit into liquid chocolate (like apples), along with my favorite- white or dark chocolate with pistachio nuts.

Which Carnival ships had these? I have been on a dozen Carnival cruises but never saw the chocolate buffet nor the choco. dip for fruit (both sound great!). Wondering if I just missed this along the way or if it is something new. Always enjoyed Carnival but trying Crown Princess next year just for something different.

Which Carnival ships had these? I have been on a dozen Carnival cruises but never saw the chocolate buffet nor the choco. dip for fruit (both sound great!). Wondering if I just missed this along the way or if it is something new. Always enjoyed Carnival but trying Crown Princess next year just for something different.

I think it is newish. I don't remember it from my first three Carnival cruises, but last year on the Glory, WHOOO! It was amazing. Chocolate fountain with fruit dip, huge buffet of hot and cold chocolate dishes. It was in the Lido deck on the last day of our cruise and it was definitely a highlight for many.

I just returned from 26 days of cruising on Princess Star. Plenty of chocolate even for breakfast. Guess you were looking for something more, but I saw plenty of chocolate. Lunch buffet, lunch dinning room and especially dinner....chocolate was offered for AT LEAST two of the desserts listings, each evening.

There was one passenger that constantly complained about the "lack" of chocklate. IGuess some people want a certain type of chocolate they get at home....??

After many trips on Princess, I have come to the conclusion that they have a company policy against chocolate... :eek:

Almost never have a chocolate desert short of ice cream (not very good at that) and among all of the fancy deserts almost never one for chocolate lovers. Have taken to bringing it with me or mooching extras bits off the cabin steward at night... :cool:

There is chocolate cake on the room service list but it always seems dry and not very tasty.

Choco-holics unite!!! :mad: And tell Princess that we will not be denied!!!

WK

I agree about the Sugar Free Chocolate Mousse on the first night. It is really, really good, I cant believe it is sugar free. And i dont get my traditional "Splenda aftertaste", so I dont think that is what they are using....Anyway, it is really good!

casey

After many trips on Princess, I have come to the conclusion that they have a company policy against chocolate... :eek:

Almost never have a chocolate desert short of ice cream (not very good at that) and among all of the fancy deserts almost never one for chocolate lovers. Have taken to bringing it with me or mooching extras bits off the cabin steward at night... :cool:

There is chocolate cake on the room service list but it always seems dry and not very tasty.

Choco-holics unite!!! :mad: And tell Princess that we will not be denied!!!

WK

I think they have a perfect amount of chocolate on board--not too much but not too little. I like chocolate but I'm not a chocolate lover, so I'm happy with the amount.:)

As for the sugar free stuff, it gave me a BAD stomach ache a few hours after eating it. blaaahhh

Archived