Northern Lights

FL LuluBelle

We are planning a cruise to Alaska to celebratemy 50th birthday:eek: . I can't believe I am saying 50! When is the best time to see the northern lights? We can cruise anytime ~ does not have to be b-day month!!! Thanks

It's the luck of the draw that you even see them, regardless of the month.

The actual time frame for Alaska is December to March - non-cruising months unforuntately. Here is where I found the info!

http://fairbanks-alaska.com/northern-lights-alaska.htm

The Northern Lights can be seen as early as mid-August - we had a superb show on the 15th or so 2 years ago. BUT, the darker the sky is, the more impressive they are, so the Fairbanks site is only correct in that sense. The complication for cruisers is that in a normal year September gets a lot of rain (ie no clear skies). The aurora prediction site is at http://www.gedds.alaska.edu/AuroraForecast/

Murray

IF Northern Lights are a priority, budget significant TIME. I've seen them end of August a few times, but as already mentioned, you need clear DARK nights, meaning full of stars, and no clouds. I strongly suggest you check DAILY the above prediction site. There is no point in staying up all night with only low predictions. As an example, my last trip had 1 night of viewing out of 12 Interior Alaska days. I've also seen them from a cruise ship, but they are nothing like the displays of Fairbanks. It is also important to have your own transportation with a rental car, or an "outside" Fairbanks lodging location. Although there are plenty of reports of people seeing the lights in town, by no comparism are they anything like outside in the darkness. You just do not get it in Fairbanks. I like driving up the Steese and parking on the side of the road over the hill just past the Chena Hot Springs Exit. Way superior to any in town viewing. :)

Archived